The Student Room Group

Cambridge CS chances

I've got predictions of A*A*AA and might be able to get the latter pushed up. I've done a lot of coding projects, CS talks, and independent research projects. My teachers have also said that my personal statement is also good. What are my chances of getting in? Also, I'm thinking of applying Edinburgh, Durham, Bath and thinking of final one, what are my chances for those as well?
Reply 1
Original post by mcho016
I've got predictions of A*A*AA and might be able to get the latter pushed up. I've done a lot of coding projects, CS talks, and independent research projects. My teachers have also said that my personal statement is also good. What are my chances of getting in? Also, I'm thinking of applying Edinburgh, Durham, Bath and thinking of final one, what are my chances for those as well?

Also another CS applicant here. You seem like a strong candidate -- be aware of the TMUA assessment if you aren't already. This is harder than A level & if you get a good score on this and a solid interview then you should be good. Are your A* in maths?
CS is so competitive :frown: especially at cambridge.
Not sure about the english system and insurance choices and all that (i'm scottish, and we often get unconditionals from scottish unis) but St Andrews is meant to be good for computing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mcho016

Your stats are very good, so you have as much chance as anyone to get into Cambridge, but CS at Cambridge is brutally competitive, with 12 applicants for every place, so go for it, but try to ensure you remain excited about going elsewhere also.
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
Your stats are very good, so you have as much chance as anyone to get into Cambridge, but CS at Cambridge is brutally competitive, with 12 applicants for every place, so go for it, but try to ensure you remain excited about going elsewhere also.

I heard somewhere that sometimes competition is 1 in 3 in cambridge for some subjects... I wish...
Good luck guys
Reply 4
Original post by emkelt
I heard somewhere that sometimes competition is 1 in 3 in cambridge for some subjects... I wish...
Good luck guys

It’s as low as 1 in 2 for a couple of subjects, but not CS. The numbers are shown in the summary subject pages on the Cambridge website.
Reply 5
Original post by emkelt
Also another CS applicant here. You seem like a strong candidate -- be aware of the TMUA assessment if you aren't already. This is harder than A level & if you get a good score on this and a solid interview then you should be good. Are your A* in maths?
CS is so competitive :frown: especially at cambridge.
Not sure about the english system and insurance choices and all that (i'm scottish, and we often get unconditionals from scottish unis) but St Andrews is meant to be good for computing :smile:

Yes it was A*. Is Edi better than St Andrews for CompSci
Reply 6
Would you guys consider Bath a good insurance choice? Or would that be too high to be an insurance?
Reply 7
Original post by mcho016
Would you guys consider Bath a good insurance choice? Or would that be too high to be an insurance?

Depends how confident you are with your A-levels and what you think you will get as an absolute min. Some schools are generous with their predictions, some are not, so only you can decide that one. With your current predictions, typically AAA would be a good insurance. Bath is A*AA, but AAA with EPQ.

Update - Bath has increased its entry requirement for CS to A*A*A for 2024, so that does not sound like a good insurance, even if you have an EPQ to reduce it by one grade.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mcho016
Yes it was A*. Is Edi better than St Andrews for CompSci

there’s lots of posts on this here on the student room;
e.g.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5314574
I think they’re pretty similar, but look at what modules they do, and think about town vs city.

in scottish unis you can often take 3 completely subjects in first/second year if you want, so if you still can’t decide then consider if you want to do some modules that the other doesn’t offer (mind you, you can only do different subjects in first/sometimes second year but it can be better to have the flexibility). if you do well in Alevels i think u can do direct second year entry. This is because first year of scottish uni is roughly equivalent to advanced highers (so you’d have to self learn some stuff, but it’s less fees for three years)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending