The Student Room Group

Black dots all over legs

Hi.. My legs have all these little black dots all over them. It's called "strawberry legs" and looks like this (these aren't my legs): http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMER3ohw2u66/2011-12-24_071740_photo.jpg

After shaving/waxing they still won't go away so it makes me look like I have hairy legs which is horrible. I feel so bad about it :frown: . I've researched it so much and most sites just say laser hair removal which I can't afford, and to exfoliate which I've already tried.

Has anyone else had this in the past & found a way to get rid of it? Or does anyone have any products they recommend please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure they're normal
Reply 2
I have these black dots too on my legs and back of my arms. I went to doctors about it and they gave me a hydrocortisone cream to use for a bit and thats reduced the appearance and I've been using a dry skin cream, it's still there but it's definitely become better!
Reply 3
Original post by priyanka44
I have these black dots too on my legs and back of my arms. I went to doctors about it and they gave me a hydrocortisone cream to use for a bit and thats reduced the appearance and I've been using a dry skin cream, it's still there but it's definitely become better!

Are the black dots you have exactly like the ones in the picture? And how long have you been using the creams? If you don't mind, could you please write the names of the creams so I could look into it please :biggrin:

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really desperate to get these dots off my legs!
Reply 4
Original post by neom
I'm pretty sure they're normal

They're really not. I have barely seen anyone else with these really visible dots
Reply 5
Original post by EmbraceIt
Are the black dots you have exactly like the ones in the picture? And how long have you been using the creams? If you don't mind, could you please write the names of the creams so I could look into it please :biggrin:

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really desperate to get these dots off my legs!

yeah i think they look really similar...I got a hydrocortisone cream 1%, I used that for a week and then I've been using an ointment twice a day, everyday. Can you pick the black dots on your legs, like does the heads come off?? I hope that helps!
OP, they are hair roots?! They are dark because your hairs are dark! I have them and they don't bother me in the slightest! Some people are just lucky and are either born with very little hair on their legs/skin, or they are blonde, which are not so obvious.

IMO I wouldn't stress, worry about it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by EmbraceIt
Hi.. My legs have all these little black dots all over them. It's called "strawberry legs" and looks like this (these aren't my legs): http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMER3ohw2u66/2011-12-24_071740_photo.jpg

After shaving/waxing they still won't go away so it makes me look like I have hairy legs which is horrible. I feel so bad about it :frown: . I've researched it so much and most sites just say laser hair removal which I can't afford, and to exfoliate which I've already tried.

Has anyone else had this in the past & found a way to get rid of it? Or does anyone have any products they recommend please?

It's called keratosis pilaris and I know what you mean about feeling bad. For yeeears I've tried to avoid wearing skirts and dresses because I felt really self-conscious about it. I guess everyone with that condition must feel the same because I don't usually see people with legs like mine.

It is caused by ingrown hairs. So what I did is I stop shaving some years ago and changed to epilating instead coz shaving just makes the hairs stronger and more visible. As you keep epilating the hairs get thinner and thinner. And I make sure to use Nads ingrown hair solution 24 hours after epilating. It has salycylic acid which exfoliates the skin and reduces the number of ingrown hairs. It looks like this and you can buy it from Boots. It's a little expensive but lasts for months.

In between epilating, every few weeks I use exfoliating mitts from Boots. They are like tiny flat piece of fine sandpaper that you put your hands inside and rub in circular motions on your skin and it gently exfoliates your skin. You can get that from Boots too and the packaging looks like this

You don't have to epilate by the way. You can wax instead, it has the same effect if not better.

I doubt my legs will ever be completely clear but it's definitely nowhere near as noticeable as it used to be. I can go out with bear legs now :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
i have the same prob. its really irritating
Reply 10
Hi :smile:

One of my friends has this, she has really dark hair. She uses Sally Hansen airbrush legs when she has to get her legs out and it seems to get rid of the black dots. If you're paranoid about them, maybe you could try that?
As somebody mentioned before you have a condition called Keratosis Pilaris (informally known as chicken skin):
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/keratosis-pilaris/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There's nothing you can do about it unfortunately, but the condition of your skin should improve as you get older. THere are some products designed to improve the appearance of the skin:

- http://www.sephora.com/kp-duty-body-scrub-P147925?skuId=934539
- http://www.sephora.com/kp-duty-lotion-P73509?skuId=784413

(The brand KP duty is renown for it's products that are designed to improve the skin of people with Keratosis Pilaris)

It's nothing to worry about, a lot of people have this skin condition and it's barely noticeable. :smile:
Reply 12
There is nothing wrong with your skin its normal only try to wax it would be ok.
Reply 13
How about hair removal cream? Will that be ok?
(edited 8 years ago)
People are getting things confused. She does not have Keratosis Pilaris. Thats when the skin is all bumpy, itchy and dotty. I have the same dots she has and they are extremely smooth to the touch. In fact my skin is smoother and softer than most people who don't have a trace of these dots on their skin.. What she has is "Open Comedones" a.k.a blackheads, a.k.a strawberry legs which are caused by dirt, impurities and dead skin, that get clogged in the follicles where the hair grows. Once it oxides with the air it turns the follicles black. Its more common in people who are light in complexion, have dark hair and have naturally oily skin, as this mixes with those things aforementioned and makes the dots more prominent.

The best way to get rid of this is to 1) destroy the hair follicle completely through either laser hair removal (8-12 treatments are recommended even if by the 5th treatment all your hair is gone ) or electrolysis

2) Physically Exfoliate regularly to rid the body of dead skin cells and allow new skin to show/shine through whilst cleaning out all the gunk that's clogging up your pores- I recently bought the "Baiten Mitten" online and this glove is magical. It literally takes off all your dead skin before your very eyes and it will roll off the skin like pencil and rubber shavings. (Does not hurt at all but is rather disgusting to look at) This will leave your body feeling soft and smooth and within a few weeks you will see a major difference. (this must only be done once a week as it can cause mild grazing and skin irritation if done everyday)

3) Use a chemical exfoliant also such as glycolic acid or salicylic acid which helps to diminish the appearance of blackheads and promote new skin cell turnover/ collagen much quicker.

I too have been self conscious about this but im now fed up of hiding them and would like them gone. I have only started this remedy so I cannot really comment on the full perks on my progress as of yet, but after undergoing tonnes of research and slowly beginning the process, this may just be the most effective way to get rid of them for good...
Reply 15
I have that all over my legs and on my butt, you're not the only one I'm still trying to find a way, this thread is helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Any updates from people who have either tried laser or continued exfoliation?
Original post by karen_tta
People are getting things confused. She does not have Keratosis Pilaris. Thats when the skin is all bumpy, itchy and dotty. I have the same dots she has and they are extremely smooth to the touch. In fact my skin is smoother and softer than most people who don't have a trace of these dots on their skin.. What she has is "Open Comedones" a.k.a blackheads, a.k.a strawberry legs which are caused by dirt, impurities and dead skin, that get clogged in the follicles where the hair grows. Once it oxides with the air it turns the follicles black. Its more common in people who are light in complexion, have dark hair and have naturally oily skin, as this mixes with those things aforementioned and makes the dots more prominent.

The best way to get rid of this is to 1) destroy the hair follicle completely through either laser hair removal (8-12 treatments are recommended even if by the 5th treatment all your hair is gone ) or electrolysis

2) Physically Exfoliate regularly to rid the body of dead skin cells and allow new skin to show/shine through whilst cleaning out all the gunk that's clogging up your pores- I recently bought the "Baiten Mitten" online and this glove is magical. It literally takes off all your dead skin before your very eyes and it will roll off the skin like pencil and rubber shavings. (Does not hurt at all but is rather disgusting to look at) This will leave your body feeling soft and smooth and within a few weeks you will see a major difference. (this must only be done once a week as it can cause mild grazing and skin irritation if done everyday)

3) Use a chemical exfoliant also such as glycolic acid or salicylic acid which helps to diminish the appearance of blackheads and promote new skin cell turnover/ collagen much quicker.

I too have been self conscious about this but im now fed up of hiding them and would like them gone. I have only started this remedy so I cannot really comment on the full perks on my progress as of yet, but after undergoing tonnes of research and slowly beginning the process, this may just be the most effective way to get rid of them for good...

This can be diet related as well lack of Vitamin A,K2 and D will cause this to improve this I have taken Fermented cod liver oil, Vitamin K2/D and Neal yard remedies Beauty supplement oil working well so far my arms and hands have improved loads just need my legs to improve
I have them too I avoid wearing short skirts or dresses. *sigh*.
Bubonic Plague

Quick Reply

Latest