The Student Room Group

Exam pens

I am now quite worried because in some of my exams I used my Uniball Jetstream pen which is essentially a rollerball pen but the ink is 'super ink' which is apparently fade/water resistant and tamper proof according to the pack. I'm still worried though given it's not conventional fountain/biro pen? Could someone clarify if it would have been a problem when scanning?

Thanks
Reply 1
Does it smudge, if slightly the examiner will still be able to read it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Rup1999
I am now quite worried because in some of my exams I used my Uniball Jetstream pen which is essentially a rollerball pen but the ink is 'super ink' which is apparently fade/water resistant and tamper proof according to the pack. I'm still worried though given it's not conventional fountain/biro pen? Could someone clarify if it would have been a problem when scanning?

Thanks

They tell you not to use gel pens because if everyone did it, it would be a problem. But they can mark papers in a different way, without scanning - this just takes more time and effort, so they don't want to do it. So if it wasn't readable when scanning it would be flagged up and your paper would still get marked.

Now that you're aware there's a potential problem, don't do it again. If you have a scanner (schools often do) then you could try scanning it to set your mind at rest, but there's no need because the exam boards have procedures around such things. It's also why results take so long to come - they need to leave themselves adequate time to deal with papers that need special options.
Reply 3
Im worried about my multiplication sign in maths.

I do a dot, not the * sign..

Will they know what I mean? It is mathematically correct anyway :erm:
Original post by Rup1999

Thanks

You should be fine as long as your answers are readable and are in black ink
Original post by Dinaa
Im worried about my multiplication sign in maths.

I do a dot, not the * sign..

Will they know what I mean? It is mathematically correct anyway :erm:

Yes that's fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Laurenafenete
You should be fine as long as your answers are readable and are in black ink

Yes my answers were readable and in black ink. I used it in my 2 hr rs exam and it didn't go through the page or smudge and looked fine when I read through at the end. On Amazon it says this about the pen...

Ultra quick drying , non-smudge ink

Smooth writing performance

High quality Japanese manufacturing

Elegant design

Non-fade, waterproof and tamperproof Super Ink

Original post by Rup1999
Yes my answers were readable and in black ink. I used it in my 2 hr rs exam and it didn't go through the page or smudge and looked fine when I read through at the end. On Amazon it says this about the pen...

Ultra quick drying , non-smudge ink

Smooth writing performance

High quality Japanese manufacturing

Elegant design

Non-fade, waterproof and tamperproof Super Ink

Then you should be fine then! I've seen other people used uniball ink pens in their exams and I've used them as well.
Reply 8
Original post by Rup1999

Thanks

Hi, did it cause you any issues as I wrote using this pen too and I am quite worried now.

Quick Reply

Latest