The Student Room Group

Is plus-size modelling beneficial or harmful to society?

On one hand, it can make overweight and obese people become more confident and less self conscious. However, on the other hand, it can be harmful as it glorifies obesity and could Lead young people to think that being obese is fine, leading them to stay obese instead of trying to exercise and lose weight and have a longer, healthier life.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
* on one hand it can make overweight and obese people think that it's fine to stay overweight and obese. However, on the other hand, it can be harmful as it glorifies obesity and could lead you people to think that being obese is fine, leading them to stay obese instead of trying to exercise and lose weight to have a longer, healthier life.
It's definitely harmful, but so is the (size 0) anorexic stuff.

It looks as though the fashion industry wants guys to be repulsed after just looking at members of the opposite sex :lol:

They need to find some middle-ground (hardly rocket science IMO).
Plus size people exist, therefore we need plus size modelling because plus size people need to wear clothes too! Also, in the modelling industry, they count 'plus size' as size 12 or above. The vast majority of people are at least a size 12 because to be honest under that is unhealthy.

edit: I looked it up and plus size for modelling is size 10 or above. If you are under a size 10 you very badly need to gain weight
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Definitely bad, it promotes obesity.
If only healthy people are models then that should encourage obese people to get healthy.
Reply 5
yes, but glorifying being severely underweight, and promoting a lifestyle of malnutrition and possibly anorexia is equally unhealthy.

Models should be 'healthy sized' (though whatever this is, it's not a set standard) and pretty average non-obese sizes whether they are too muscular, or a little over-fat, are labelled as plus size.

Plus size is not just at the morbidly obese end of the scale, I'm pretty sure it even starts below the average body size.
Reply 6
Original post by supernerdural
Plus size people exist, therefore we need plus size modelling because plus size people need to wear clothes too! Also, in the modelling industry, they count 'plus size' as size 12 or above. The vast majority of people are at least a size 12 because to be honest under that is unhealthy.

edit: I looked it up and plus size for modelling is size 10 or above. If you are under a size 10 you very badly need to gain weight

Being under a size ten doesn't mean you need to gain weight. I'm naturally thin, healthy and size 6 .
Reply 7
Original post by supernerdural

Not true... I wear size 6-8 and I'm not underweight. It depends on your height too.

I'm short :smile:
Reply 8
Super skinny is bad. Super fat is bad. We just need a middle ground.

Why can't short girls model?
I don't agree that it promotes obesity. Plus most plus sized models aren't anywhere near obese. And tbh most overweight/obese people know that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to have confidence.
^^^^^^

I agree it promotes obesity. Many plus sized models are obese. Many overweight people refuse to accept it is unhealthy, they dont have confidence because no one respects them.

^^^^^^
Reply 11

she's a plus sized model.... i'd consider her normal but that's just me...
Reply 12
Original post by z33

She is normal, because unfortunately overweight is the new normal in the UK
Reply 13
Original post by difeo
She is normal, because unfortunately overweight is the new normal in the UK

come on she's not overweight... maybe on the far end of the normal BMI but not FAT
As a fat man I'm not hating on fat people when I say that its an awful development in fashion which encourages women especially to think that they are fine as they are.

I don't agree with size zero models either though so with 8-12 apparently the healthy range (average is higher because the UK is fat) I'd probably say that models should be 6-10. It encourages weight loss but not extreme.
Reply 15
Original post by z33
come on she's not overweight... maybe on the far end of the normal BMI but not FAT

Borderline, you might be right that she just falls on the healthy side of BMI
Reply 16
Original post by difeo
Borderline, you might be right that she just falls on the healthy side of BMI

yeah that's what i mean borderline but probably still on the healthy side

i don't think healthy should be considered 'plus size'...

i don't think plus size models are sending out a bad message because most girls are still trying to lose weight to be more like the skinnier models, but i think it's just a reminder that they can still look and feel beautiful while they're losing weight if that makes sense?

like before it was 'unless you weigh 50 kg you're ugly' but now it's like 'you'll look your best at 50 kg but you can still look hot and beautiful right now'

that's how i see it lol
Original post by z33

Fat.
Reply 18
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Fat.

soooo what is skinny? this?
[image removed]

tbh i think models should look like this:

to promote a healthy lifestyle and exercise rather than starvation or mcdonalds
Original post by z33

Why is it so hard to accept the woman in the fist picture is quite clearly overweight?

As far as your recommendations go, although those are very attractive physiques, at the end of the day it's just a bunch of businesses trying to shift their product... and if they've found putting their clothes on skinny-fat women sells the most, then that's what they will do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending