The Student Room Group

C1 parallelogram graph question

1459288399915-1876165051.jpg hi, I am a bit stuck on part b and c of this question. To solve this, apparently line Ad is perpendicular to l1 but how can that be as the angle in between isn't a right angle. I know that l1 and l2 are parallel and the other two lines are as well. Thanks.
Reply 1
I need someone to explain why AD would be perpendicular to l1... Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
It's a parrallelogram so It can't be a right angle :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lytran
It's a parrallelogram so It can't be a right angle :smile:

...I, say what? A rectangle is a parallelogram... what are the angles in a rectangle?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
...I, say what? A rectangle is a parallelogram... what are the angles in a rectangle?

But in that question , it didnt say a rectangle so i just assume that it's just this one
Reply 5
Original post by coconut64
1459288399915-1876165051.jpg hi, I am a bit stuck on part b and c of this question. To solve this, apparently line Ad is perpendicular to l1 but how can that be as the angle in between isn't a right angle. I know that l1 and l2 are parallel and the other two lines are as well. Thanks.

In answer to your question, AD is not perpendicular to 1\ell_1, either you are reading wrong or the markscheme is wrong. What I suspect is happening is that you are reading wrong and that the mark scheme is finding a line that passes through A and is perpendicular to 1\ell_1 but this does not imply that the line also passes through D.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
In answer to your question, AD is not perpendicular to 1\ell_1, either you are reading wrong or the markscheme is wrong. What I suspect is happening is that you are reading wrong and that the mark scheme is finding a line that passes through A and is perpendicular to 1\ell_1 but this does not imply that the line also passes through D.

Yeah , sorry my mistake. I got confused that's why. So this is what I think is happening: find the perpendicular line to L1 going through A. Then find the point of intersection with L2. Then work out the distance between A and the point of intersection? Right?
Reply 7
Yeah , sorry my mistake. I got confused that's why. So this is what I think is happening: find the perpendicular line to L1 going through A. Then find the point of intersection with L2. Then work out the distance between A and the point of intersection? Right?

Yes.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Great. So this distance is the same as the length of AD/ bc ? Because for part c, they used length of AB and the distance found in the previous part of the question.
Reply 9
So this distance is the same as the length of AD/ bc ? Because for part c, they used length of AB and the distance found in the previous part of the question.

Well... no - look up the definition of an area of a parallelogram, it's the side * perpendicular height. Not side * side. You can find the length AB and you've just found the perpendicular height, not AD.

Quick Reply

Latest