The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine

Hi guys,

I was hoping to maybe get some advice about my chances of getting into graduate entry medicine next year. I will apply to Warwick, newcastle, Swansea and Nottingham and am happy to move wherever. I am wondering have any of you guys been accepted or declined entry onto the course, and if so/not what were your degrees in, what mark did you get, and what work experience did you have?

I graduated from university in 2014 with a 2:1 in psychology with criminology, and in the long run want to be a psychiatrist. After uni I worked for 6 months as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. Since then I have been working for over a year as a care assistant in a residential/emi care home where I am still working now. However I am looking for another job doing something which pays better so I can save up the 3 and a half thousand I need to get onto the course.

Thanks in advance!
Nikki
Reply 1
The GAMSAT exam for Swansea and Nottingham is difficult. It requires a good amount of preparation and costs a pretty penny.

The UKCAT is also a difficult exam to pass albeit not as difficult, lengthy, or expensive as GAMSAT.

To be considered for entry hitting the minimum cutoffs for either/both these exams should be your number one priority as without it you will not be considered at all.

It sounds like you have enough work experience to apply, however I would try to shadow some doctors if possible as it really helps to open your eyes to the role.
Original post by Ncollins93
Hi guys,

I was hoping to maybe get some advice about my chances of getting into graduate entry medicine next year. I will apply to Warwick, newcastle, Swansea and Nottingham and am happy to move wherever. I am wondering have any of you guys been accepted or declined entry onto the course, and if so/not what were your degrees in, what mark did you get, and what work experience did you have?

I graduated from university in 2014 with a 2:1 in psychology with criminology, and in the long run want to be a psychiatrist. After uni I worked for 6 months as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. Since then I have been working for over a year as a care assistant in a residential/emi care home where I am still working now. However I am looking for another job doing something which pays better so I can save up the 3 and a half thousand I need to get onto the course.

Thanks in advance!
Nikki

Hey this is my blog for going from undergrad Biomed to Med https://frompentoscalpel.wordpress.com/
Do you know of similar blogs at all? Or if you have one? Please let me know, I want to get to know others in the same boat as me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending