The Student Room Group

C4 - How would you integrate this?

2 sin 3x sin 2x dx.

Multiple methods pls and the simplest way
thanks !
Reply 1
Can be done by parts or use of factor formulae. ie. cosAcosB=2sin(A+B2)sin(AB2) \displaystyle \cos A - \cos B = -2\sin \left ( \frac{A+B}{2} \right ) \sin \left ( \frac{A-B}{2} \right ) .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
This was the markscheme way of doing it: = (cos x cos 5x) dx
idk how they went from the original integral to this....
Reply 3
Look at my post above

Original post by Someboady
This was the markscheme way of doing it: = (cos x cos 5x) dx
idk how they went from the original integral to this....
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
Can be done by parts or use of factor formulae. ie. cosAcosB=2sin(A+B2)sin(AB2) \displaystyle \cos A - \cos B = -2\sin \left ( \frac{A+B}{2} \right ) \sin \left ( \frac{A-B}{2} \right ) .

Ah... why have I never seen this formulae before :/
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
Look at my post above

Is the formula given (Edexcel) or do I have to memorise that *cries* or can I derive it in an exam?
Reply 6
Is the formula given (Edexcel) or do I have to memorise that *cries* or can I derive it in an exam?

You can derive it but it's easier just to remember it. There's 4 factor formula's you need to know although apparently it's not tested the factor formulae. But best to know I think.
Reply 7
Original post by B_9710
You can derive it but it's easier just to remember it. There's 4 factor formula's you need to know although apparently it's not tested the factor formulae. But best to know I think.

Ah they're given in the formula book yesss, thanks a bunch dude :smile: would never have known about them :/ kinda scary
image.jpg
I got it using a triple angle formula, a double angle formula then a substitution. It should be pretty simple from here
2 sin 3x sin 2x dx.

Multiple methods pls and the simplest way
thanks !

Just to add, have a look at your formula booklet (online). For Edexcel I suspect that it is in C3.

Quick Reply

Latest