The Student Room Group

Is anyone actually listening to vinyl?

Yes, it's Record Store Day tomorrow. Even though I have been buying and playing vinyl for over 10 years and DJ'ing, playing guitar, etc. This whole vinyl revival seems like one huge fad to me; promoting a culture that harms local music scenes, independent artists and doesn't work for fans. Vinyl prices are through the roof atm. How widespread is this behaviour (buying vinyl not to play)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36040746

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jblackmoustache
Yes, it's Record Store Day tomorrow. Even though I have been buying and playing vinyl for over 10 years and DJ'ing, playing guitar, etc. This whole vinyl revival seems like one huge fad to me; promoting a culture that harms local music scenes, independent artists and doesn't work for fans. Vinyl prices are through the roof atm. How widespread is this behaviour (buying vinyl not to play)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36040746

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have tons of vinyl (from my parents) but we have no turntable any more
Advantages of vinyl: the cover is bigger, so the artwork can be better.

Disadvantages of vinyl: it's bigger in terms of storage. Everything else.

I have about twenty old LPs. Of course none of them get played. At some point I will chuck the actual discs and just display the covers - I've always wanted a line of Kraftwerk covers going up the stairs...
I just find it silly to buy vinyl if you don't play them or have any way of playing them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jblackmoustache
I just find it silly to buy vinyl if you don't play them or have any way of playing them

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're good as collectors items. If I just want the music I'll get it for free or buy a cheap download. I don't buy physical releases as a format for listening to music, I buy them as part of my collection of interesting and, in some cases, rare releases.

So I do have a few vinyl records that I've never listened to (although I will at some point).

Not to mention the mark up on each record sold by an independent band can be a lot higher than for CDs, cassettes or merch.
Original post by ODES_PDES
I have tons of vinyl (from my parents) but we have no turntable any more

Basically this. I reckon I've got 100+ but the cost of getting a decent turntable and speakers means it isn't worth it. I have got a stereo that will play records but it's ****.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Basically this. I reckon I've got 100+ but the cost of getting a decent turntable and speakers means it isn't worth it. I have got a stereo that will play records but it's ****.

I have more than that 400+ LPs and 150+ SP, Mainly Rock and heavy metal.
I hope our collections worth a lot in another 30 or so years

I've checked some of mine on eBay and most sell for about £20-30. I wouldn't sell mine anyway though unless it was for stupid money. They have a lot of sentimental value.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I've checked some of mine on eBay and most sell for about £20-30. I wouldn't sell mine anyway though unless it was for stupid money. They have a lot of sentimental value.

cool
btw commiserations from a THFC supporter.
I hope you do not do a Leeds
cool
btw commiserations from a THFC supporter.
I hope you do not do a Leeds

:biggrin: Cheers. Me too.

I wish I could afford to have a collection that nice. I think I have 5 or 6 LPs and 1 SP. There are two I've never played at all and one I've only played one side of. I stupidly lent my USB turntable to my dad so he could start digitalising his collection. I lent it to him four months ago and so far he's not touched it, meanwhile I've not been able to use it to listen to anything.

Quick Reply

Latest