The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
How much revision has everyone been doing for C3? Personally I'm absolutely terrified and I don't know how I'm going to achieve 90UMS 😓😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a bit, I've done all past papers, the mock paper,specimen paper and solomon papers A-E.
Reply 21
How much revision has everyone been doing for C3? Personally I'm absolutely terrified and I don't know how I'm going to achieve 90UMS 😓😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just do every single paper you can, I'm doing IYGB papers now and saving the past papers until closer to the exam so that they become thoughtlessly easy to do in comparison :colone:
Reply 22

Posted from TSR Mobile

None whatsoever lol. I'm relying on FP2/3 for these exams, but I can't complain with the grades I've been getting in my mocks :biggrin:
C3 is probably the easiest exam. GL
Original post by SeanFM
You can do it :rave: just practice as much as you can. What's stopping you from getting 90+ at the moment? :tongue:

Thanks for the encouragement! Im losing marks from mostly Trig questions, I need to improve applying the identities I think, do you know any good ways to get better at trig? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the encouragement! Im losing marks from mostly Trig questions, I need to improve applying the identities I think, do you know any good ways to get better at trig? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trig is tricky, but practice, practice, practice!

Are you talking about the ones where you find solutions or one where you prove that .. is equal to ....?
Original post by SeanFM
Trig is tricky, but practice, practice, practice!

Are you talking about the ones where you find solutions or one where you prove that .. is equal to ....?

I find both types of question quite hard, for the finding solutions ones I'm normally ok with finding the first value but I still slip up on finding the other values within the range :frown:
Sometimes on the proof questions I reach a dead end and don't know what to do next

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find both types of question quite hard, for the finding solutions ones I'm normally ok with finding the first value but I still slip up on finding the other values within the range :frown:
Sometimes on the proof questions I reach a dead end and don't know what to do next

Posted from TSR Mobile

For proof questions:

1. Look at both sides of the equation and see which one is the side to start with. It's usually the more complicated one!
2. Think about all of the identities you know (write them out if you need to, but after a while you will be able to remember them fairly easily). and apply them.
3. If all else fails, turn everything into sin and cos and see if something can happen.

For the solution questions, look at the coefficients of x (and whatever's added) and modify the range and write that down.

Eg if you're looking for x between 0 and 180 (yes, degrees :tongue:) and it's something like cos(2x+5) then you're looking for theta (where theta = 2x + 5) will have the range 5 to 365, so find all the solutions of costheta between that range and then find x.

Also, never cancel anything via division. It's okay to cancel things out by addition/subtraction as things aren't really cancelled out, but you should factor things out, eg if sinx = tanx, it's tempting to divide both sides by sinx but factor it out so sinx(1-(1/cosx)) = 0.
What's everyone getting in past papers at this stage??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Averaging about 71/75.
Ooh subbing

Hoping to get over 95 UMS in this and I've been getting 71-73 on past papers which is a good sign :yes:
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im getting in the mid 60s out of 75 on average
Would I get the 2nd and 3rd method marks for working out part c) like this? I used a right-angled trianlge instead of a trig identity :s-smilie:
Attachment not found

20160416_162104-1.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by Kamara7
Would I get the 2nd and 3rd method marks for working out part c) like this? I used a right-angled trianlge instead of a trig identity :s-smilie:
Attachment not found

20160416_162104-1.jpg
Attachment not found

Yes. Those trig identities are simply based on Pythagoras.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Yes. Those trig identities are simply based on Pythagoras.

Thanks! :h:
Reply 35
Hey guys. For the last bit of trig in the C3 book, 'factor formuale' with the ps and qs etc, do we need to know this??
My teacher said its not in our spec and that they've never asked a question on it, but I just did the solomon B paper and there was a question on it.
So do we need to know it or...?
Reply 36
Original post by boyyo
Hey guys. For the last bit of trig in the C3 book, 'factor formuale' with the ps and qs etc, do we need to know this??
My teacher said its not in our spec and that they've never asked a question on it, but I just did the solomon B paper and there was a question on it.
So do we need to know it or...?

No, you don't. It's not on spec.
Hi guys, hope everything's going well,
I'm currently on an A grade (averaging about 80-85% in papers, with the time that remains, do you think that I can pull that up to a getting 90 to get the A*? And If so how much work will I have to put in?

Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hi guys, hope everything's going well,
I'm currently on an A grade (averaging about 80-85% in papers, with the time that remains, do you think that I can pull that up to a getting 90 to get the A*? And If so how much work will I have to put in?

Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no specific amount of work that I can tell you to do; you'll need to decide on that yourself but it's certainly very doable, you're basically already there you just need a smidge more practice and understanding. It's time to really drill down on your weaknesses and analyse your performances on past papers in depth. What topics do you frequently lose marks on? Isolate that topic and work on it thoroughly then rinse and repeat for each topic. You have plenty of time, you can do this, easily.
Reply 39
Original post by Zacken
No, you don't. It's not on spec.

phew:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending