The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STEMisSuperior.
This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads earn way more money than non STEM grads(ST and LT)
- STEM students have better grades than non STEM students (on average)
- STEM grads have greater career prospects than non STEM grads
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Lets be honest, the people who say "STEM and non STEM degrees are equal!" are those who do non STEM degrees or A levels and are very insecure. This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry.

(Economics/Finance are also basically STEM since they have a lot of maths in their degrees)

Art and music are actually hard as well because they require creativity which is very hard to learn. A person doing a STEM subject would find it difficult to do a creative subject, and vice versa.
Original post by george_c00per
Lmao I was only referring to the person who started this forum, I am fully aware that there are STEM students who are appreciative of non-STEM subjects

Im not insecure, im just insulted that the degree i will be doing is on the same level as something like sociology or history.

I also love how you say 'appreciative' as if you seek appreciation for your beta degree
As i said, ive attempted to quantify it all to come to what is a reasonable and solid conclusion. Mocking STEM subjects just makes you look butthurt.

But mocking non-STEM subjects doesn't make you look butthurt? Your "conclusion" is far from reasonable to say the least.
Original post by Quantex
Thankfully the whole STEM superiority attitude does not exist in the real world, it's just on TSR. STEM students have got better things to focus on ... like who the **** stole my reagents from the lab?

Engineers are trying to figure out their problems :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you honestly bump your thread after seven minutes?
Im not insecure, im just insulted that the degree i will be doing is on the same level as something like sociology or history.

Oh my god why do you care??? Who is measuring your degrees with others which are completely different from yours??
But mocking non-STEM subjects doesn't make you look butthurt? Your "conclusion" is far from reasonable to say the least.

Im not mocking. Im simply stating facts.
Original post by Trapz99
Art and music are actually hard as well because they require creativity which is very hard to learn. A person doing a STEM subject would find it difficult to do a creative subject, and vice versa.

Why is there this assumption that STEM students are only into maths/science and aren't creative people? It's not one or the other. There are well rounded individuals that choose to pursue the sciences and vice versa.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BasicMistake
Did you honestly bump your thread after seven minutes?

lol
Original post by hezzlington
So, you're not even at university and you're banging on about subjects you have no experience of.

I dont need experience to make a conclusion
Original post by Quantex
Thankfully the whole STEM superiority attitude does not exist in the real world, it's just on TSR. STEM students have got better things to focus on ... like who the **** stole my reagents from the lab?

Hilarious. I would mock a non STEM student but i have no idea what you lot do that requires a brain.

Stop trying to make yourself feel more powerful. We'll all have the same size gravestones.

Wrong. STEM students would on average be richer and will have bigger gravestones.
OP probably studies maths at London met where they teach gcse stuff and thinks that he is a genius compared to the Oxbridge history lads
I dont need experience to make a conclusion

"This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry"

Why aren't they equal?
If you guys had read, i was saying it is objectively better. I mean, if you find non STEM better then fine but that wont mean STEM students are secretly looking down on you.
Your assessment is hardly objective:

STEM grads do not have a monopoly on high earnings.
STEM students get better grades precisely because there is no creativity which makes non-STEM subjects harder in many ways.
The definition of 'career' is a poor choice to measure objectivity since career simply means the direction taken in ones working life within a specific field.
How do you measure intelligence objectively and comprehensively?
How do you know what is in the future? If you know then I suggest making a career out of gambling.
'Respectable' is a subjective word interpreted in a rigid manner.
I think it's the other way around re STEM vs non-STEM creative jobs.
Anyone can learn a new language - babies do it all the time.

Let's be honest, you are talking out of your arse.
Original post by Trapz99
OP probably studies maths at London met where they teach gcse stuff and thinks that he is a genius compared to the Oxbridge history lads

I dont categorise non top 20 uni as STEM. They're as bad if not worse than non STEM.
Original post by Trapz99

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im yet to see anyone disproving my original statement.
I dont categorise non top 20 uni as STEM. They're as bad if not worse than non STEM.

And how do you decide what unis are in the top 20?
Original post by hezzlington
"This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry"

Why aren't they equal?

For the reasons i have given for my original post. better career prospects, higher earners, better grades, not being easily replaced etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending