The Student Room Group

Integration Help

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 18.59.26.pngWe have been asked to find the CDF of the continuos uniform distribution.. I have no idea how integration works..

like that does t|xa mean? [t]xa in screenshot

All help appreciated

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="JKITFC;64641649"]Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 18.59.26.pngWe have been asked to find the CDF of the continuos uniform distribution.. I have no idea how integration works..

All help appreciated[/t]

It's equivalent to F(x)F(a)F(x)-F(a) which is the solution to axf(t)dt\displaystyle \int_a^x f(t)dt

In your screen shot 1ba\dfrac{1}{b-a} is a constant.
You integrate it by using the rule tndt=tn+1n+1+C\displaystyle \int t^n dt=\dfrac{t^{n+1}}{n+1}+\mathcal{C}.
It's a definite integral so you don't have to worry about the the C as it cancels and n=0n=0.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JKITFC
Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 18.59.26.pngWe have been asked to find the CDF of the continuos uniform distribution.. I have no idea how integration works..

All help appreciated

It means (plug the number at the top of the square bracket into the function in the square bracket) - (plug the number at the bottom of the square bracket into the function in the square bracket). In this case, the function is just t.

So it's just (x) - (a).
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It's equivalent to F(x)F(a)F(x)-F(a) which is the solution to axf(t)dt\displaystyle \int_a^x f(t)dt

In your screen shot 1ba\dfrac{1}{b-a} is a constant.
You integrate it by using the rule tndt=tn+1n+1+C\displaystyle \int t^n dt=\dfrac{t^{n+1}}{n+1}+\mathcal{C}.
It's a definite integral so you don't have to worry about the the C as it cancels and n=0n=0.

That makes no sense.
Original post by Zacken
It means (plug the number at the top of the square bracket into the function in the square bracket) - (plug the number at the bottom of the square bracket into the function in the square bracket). In this case, the function is just t.

So it's just (x) - (a).

Why does it replace the 1? To 'plug it into' the function - why does it replace the numerator? Surely to replace the function is to replace the whole 1/(b-a) ?
Reply 5
Original post by JKITFC
Why does it replace the 1? To 'plug it into' the function - why does it replace the numerator? Surely to replace the function is to replace the whole 1/(b-a) ?

No, 1/(b-a) is a constant.

It's like saying "plug x=2 into the number 5" - doesn't make sense.
Original post by Zacken
No, 1/(b-a) is a constant.

It's like saying "plug x=2 into the number 5" - doesn't make sense.

Why does being a constant mean only the 1 is replaced with the x-a - why is the denominator left alone?
Reply 7
It helps if you think of integration like area under curve. f(x) - f(a) is the area between a and x on the curve
Reply 8
Original post by JKITFC
Why does being a constant mean only the 1 is replaced with the x-a - why is the denominator left alone?

You're not replacing the 1, you're replacing the t.
Original post by Zacken
You're not replacing the 1, you're replacing the t.

Right, finally getting somewhere.

Why is the b-a left alone/remain - as there is only [t]xa with no b there?
Original post by rajanp1
It helps if you think of integration like area under curve. f(x) - f(a) is the area between a and x on the curve

Thanks for the input, doesn't help me though i'm afraid. What does a curve have to do with replacing t with x-a/b-a?
Reply 11
Original post by JKITFC
Right, finally getting somewhere.

Why is the b-a left alone/remain - as there is only [t]xa with no b there?

You could but the b-a in there if you want, it'll make no difference.

[t/(b-a)]_a^x is still x/(b-a) - a/(b-a) = (x-a)/(b-a).
Original post by Zacken

Think I've got it..

There is no t there? It is a one?
I need some more logic explained.
To me it still just looks like the 1 is replaced with x-a..
Someone else described it as.. when _ is x what is.. I don't think you understand the fact I have no clue what integration even is..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by JKITFC
I don't think you understand the fact I have no clue what integration even is..

Perhaps you should then look it up and understand what it is, I'm afraid that I can't explain how to do this when you don't know the very basics.

Here's a good article on it: https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/integration-introduction.html
Original post by Zacken

'Plug it into the function' is familiar..
But why is there a minus, why if the 1/(b-a) is a constat.. is only the top line replaced?
Why does (b-a) remain?

How about I ask it this way.. What is the generic thinking that goes into it.. like.. Times the numerator by x then minus the bottom part of the symbol outside of the square brackets?
Original post by Zacken
Perhaps you should then look it up and understand what it is, I'm afraid that I can't explain how to do this when you don't know the very basics.

Here's a good article on it: https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/integration-introduction.html

It is useless.
Looked through all of these - and not once is there a | for example.. the [t]xa in the screenshot
Reply 16
Original post by JKITFC
'Plug it into the function' is familiar..
But why is there a minus, why if the 1/(b-a) is a constat.. is only the top line replaced?
Why does (b-a) remain?

How about I ask it this way.. What is the generic thinking that goes into it.. like.. Times the numerator by x then minus the bottom part of the symbol outside of the square brackets?

Generic thinking:

Integral of a constant with respect to t is (t times that constant)

So 1badt=1ba×t\int \frac{1}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{b-a} \times t.

When you put limits on, you do the integral evaluated at the top number minus integral evaluated at the bottom number.

So [tba]ax=xabaab\bigg[\frac{t}{b-a}\bigg]_a^{x} = \frac{x}{a-b} - \frac{a}{a-b}
Original post by Zacken
Generic thinking:

Integral of a constant with respect to t is (t times that constant)

So 1badt=1ba×t\int \frac{1}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{b-a} \times t.

When you put limits on, you do the integral evaluated at the top number minus integral evaluated at the bottom number.

So [tba]ax=xabaab\bigg[\frac{t}{b-a}\bigg]_a^{x} = \frac{x}{a-b} - \frac{a}{a-b}

Thanks, Looks good - I'm nearly there, I understand the minus and I understand "you do the integral evaluated at the top number minus integral evaluated at the bottom number."

The thing I still don't get.. why does nothing happen to the b-a? Why is the b-a not effected by the x or a limits?
Reply 18
It's because you're integrating 1/b-a with respect to t. So you'll increase the power of t by one. in this case, you'll make t^0 into t^1. The square brackets mean you do f(top value) - f(bottom value). when you've plugged the values in you'll get x/b-a - a/b-a which is x-a/b-a
Reply 19
Original post by JKITFC
Thanks, Looks good - I'm nearly there, I understand the minus and I understand "you do the integral evaluated at the top number minus integral evaluated at the bottom number."

The thing I still don't get.. why does nothing happen to the b-a? Why is the b-a not effected by the x or a limits?

Because it's just a constant.

Quick Reply

Latest