The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STEMisSuperior.
LOL.

Maths can be used for accountancy, finance (S&T, derivs trading, quant etc etc), actuarial career, stats careers, engineering, meteorology, programming, data science, programming etc etc etc (wayy too many for me to list) No uni just teaches pure maths, they teach a lot more applied maths nowadays. .

1. All those jobs won't let you in with just a maths degree. Everything you listed either requires extra training or a second degree. For example, in a lot of countries, the job title engineer is legally protected. If you don't gave the right qualifications, you can't call yourself an engineer. So you can't take maths and walk into the job.

2. Your last point is objectively incorrect lol. A quick Google search would show you the truth. And even the ones that teach some applied units, nothing is taught with the expertise needed for a job.

As a final point, I genuinely think humanitiea require more intelligence. This is coming from someone doing engineering. No matter how bad you are at maths, you can catch up with routine practice. For exams, practically the same question comes up every year. You end up learning how to do stuff by following simple steps. Obviously there's talent involved (some people can answer questions faster) but it doesn't change the fact that there's nothing you can't do.

History/English on the other hand... it's very hard for someone who sucks at those subjects to improve. It's possible to spend the rest of your life doing a History course at a top uni and not get a first. But if I took a history student who's mediocre at maths and made them do engineering for X amount of years, EVENTUALLY they'd get the hang of it. Unlike with maths, humanities aren't simply memorising steps to answering a question. You need to know how to convey points. There's so many things in maths that i do because it gets the right answer without actually knowing why it works
And it's because I don't need to know. But if you don't ask "why" when you're doing humanities then RIP your grade.

The only STEM subjects I think are harder than Law/History/English ect are Physics and Chemistry. Certainly not Maths or anything technology based though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
1. All those jobs won't let you in with just a maths degree. Everything you listed either requires extra training or a second degree. For example, in a lot of countries, the job title engineer is legally protected. If you don't gave the right qualifications, you can't call yourself an engineer. So you can't take maths and walk into the job.

2. Your last point is objectively incorrect lol. A quick Google search would show you the truth. And even the ones that teach some applied units, nothing is taught with the expertise needed for a job.

As a final point, I genuinely think humanitiea require more intelligence. This is coming from someone doing engineering. No matter how bad you are at maths, you can catch up with routine practice. For exams, practically the same question comes up every year. You end up learning how to do stuff by following simple steps. Obviously there's talent involved (some people can answer questions faster) but it doesn't change the fact that there's nothing you can't do.

History/English on the other hand... it's very hard for someone who sucks at those subjects to improve. It's possible to spend the rest of your life doing a History course at a top uni and not get a first. But if I took a history student who's mediocre at maths and made them do engineering for X amount of years, EVENTUALLY they'd get the hang of it. Unlike with maths, humanities aren't simply memorising steps to answering a question. You need to know how to convey points. There's so many things in maths that i do because it gets the right answer without actually knowing why it works
And it's because I don't need to know. But if you don't ask "why" when you're doing humanities then RIP your grade.

The only STEM subjects I think are harder than Law/History/English ect are Physics and Chemistry. Certainly not Maths though.

A maths degree does let you go to any of those careers. You just pick what modules you want to do for relevant careers. No training is needed lol. Finance doesnt need any training, accountancy you just get the ACA qualification, as would any accountant would. No degree lets you become an actuary straight after, not even actuarial science. Stats careers you just need a degree. Programming you would need to learn the coding, which most mathmos do learn at uni. Data science you just need stats.

you will find a maths grad do get into engineering as well, straight after uni. Cambridge grads do all the time.

you obviously dont know what a maths degree entails, its not just solving problems its understanding how and why maths works and is often regarded as one of the hardest degrees you can do. As an engineer, the maths you do is just calculations etc etc, thats nothing like what a math degree guy does. You really anyone is capable of doing a maths degree? LOL. Let me give you a small peak into maths at uni. You deal with 5 D vectors at maths at uni. Nuff said.

And your logic with 'humanitie guy can do maths'... yeah, no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where have i gone wrong exactly? And dont address me in the third person in an attempt to be patronising.

I'm not patronising - it's simply the truth.

What have you donate which is remotely linked to law, or any other Arts subject for that matter, that makes you think you're qualified to make these judgments?

And what makes you think STEM subjects don't require memorisation? You've not even been at uni yet.

Here's a problem question for one of the subjects (this is one of the 4 questions we have to answer in 3 hours)

Spoiler

Are you seriously telling me this simply requires remembering stuff?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
I'm not patronising - it's simply the truth.

What have you donate which is remotely linked to law, or any other Arts subject for that matter, that makes you think you're qualified to make these judgments?

And what makes you think STEM subjects don't require memorisation? You've not even been at uni yet.

Here's a problem question for one of the subjects (4 questions in 3 hours)

Spoiler

Are you seriously telling me this simply requires remembering stuff?

I have acknowledged the need for decision making and logic already.

And everything else i have already acknowledged on this thread.
I have acknowledged the need for decision making and logic already.

And everything else i have already acknowledged on this thread.

Then on what basis are STEM subject superior...?
This is a great thread
Ok OP, I agree with you that STEM is superior for the future of humanity (i.e. there is no future in History), but you really shouldn't be giving an ostentatious display of your masculinity, because you are going to Warwick......not Cambridge or Oxford, not even LSE or Imperial College. I mean, the prestige a History of Art degree from Oxbridge will do the trick of winning the stick measuring contest compared to Warwick. To justify making this thread you probably should be slamming down everyone as if they're all worthless compared to yourself...a feat probably only achievable if you do mathematics at Cambridge.

Just let people move on and get on with their life...
Then on what basis are STEM subject superior...?

Have you even read my original post?
Original post by Trapz99
Art and music are actually hard as well because they require creativity which is very hard to learn. A person doing a STEM subject would find it difficult to do a creative subject, and vice versa.

You could argue that some parts of STEM are just as creative - such as in some areas of science or maths.
Original post by lecafe88
Ok OP, I agree with you that STEM is superior for the future of humanity (i.e. there is no future in History), but you really shouldn't be giving an ostentatious display of your masculinity, because you are going to Warwick......not Cambridge or Oxford, not even LSE or Imperial College. I mean, the prestige a History of Art degree from Oxbridge will do the trick of winning the stick measuring contest compared to Warwick. To justify making this thread you probably should be slamming down everyone as if they're all worthless compared to yourself...a feat probably only achievable if you do mathematics at Cambridge.

Just let people move on and get on with their life...

Funnily enough i got an offer from LSE. And UCL too.

Of course if i accepted either of those you wouldnt have said all this anyway. Warwick is also a target uni and its maths department is far better than that of LSE and UCL and so i chose that instead. I look beyond the name of the uni, unlike you.

I wasnt doing it for my 'masculinity', simply to state my point. Perhaps people like you doing a management degree may feel threatened, but thats not my concern.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt

The only STEM subjects I think are harder than Law/History/English ect are Physics and Chemistry. Certainly not Maths or anything technology based though.

Good god, that's such an idiotic thing to say
Reply 131
This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads earn way more money than non STEM grads(ST and LT)
- STEM students have better grades than non STEM students (on average)
- STEM grads have greater career prospects than non STEM grads
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Execpt you haven't shown that STEM are superior in every aspect, you've attempted - not all that convincingly - to show that STEM subjects are superior in eight aspects. What criteria are you using for assessment? Why choose those criteria? What is your reasoning for excluding any other criterion that one could care to think of?

Of course if i accepted either of those you wouldnt have said all this anyway. Warwick is also a target uni and its maths department is far better than that of LSE and UCL and so i chose that instead. I look beyond the name of the uni, unlike you.

Fair game, as LSE does not offer any straight mathematics courses, but didn't you choose Economics at the end?

Well to be honest part of my bias is that any university outside the four I mentioned are unheard of in my home country. Then the stem/non stem selection comes in to differentiate candidates within these four universities.

Guess if you're staying in England, it doesn't matter anyway as I'm sure Warwick is good enough of a name locally. I don't know about how people do things here with regards to university perception.
Original post by Comus
Execpt you haven't shown that STEM are superior in every aspect, you've attempted - not all that convincingly - to show that STEM subjects are superior in eight aspects. What criteria are you using for assessment? Why choose those criteria? What is your reasoning for excluding any other criterion that one could care to think of?

The criteria is career prospects, intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness. What other criteria can you think of in a practical sense that wouldnt subjectify this topic?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.

This is a joke isn't it?

I wasnt doing it for my 'masculinity', simply to state my point. Perhaps people like you doing a management degree may feel threatened, but thats not my concern.

I'm transferring to BSc Econ my dearest
Fair game, as LSE does not offer any straight mathematics courses, but didn't you choose Economics at the end?

Well to be honest part of my bias is that any university outside the four I mentioned are unheard of in my home country. Then the stem/non stem selection comes in to differentiate candidates within these four universities.

Guess if you're staying in England, it doesn't matter anyway as I'm sure Warwick is good enough of a name locally. I don't know about how people do things here with regards to university perception.

I applied for pure maths for others but applied for business mathematics and statistics at LSE. I ended up changing to Maths and Economics at Warwick and accepted it.

International rep does matter, thats why rejecting UCL was tough. But LSE is my insurance (weird ik but the offer is lower). Im not looking to move abroad so that didnt matter for me. Here, the top unis are Oxbridge, imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick for finance at least. They're the 'targets' and warwick has one of the biggest finance societies in the country.
I'm transferring to BSc Econ my dearest

They let you? well done on that
Have you even read my original post?

I have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

I have, nonetheless, gotten my answer, which is that an immature person is trying to validate his choices and endorse his self-imagined superiority.
I have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

I have, nonetheless, gotten my answer, which is that an immature person is trying to validate his choices and endorse his self-imagined superiority.

I reply to your posts and showed you why you're wrong. You then choose to make unsupported claims (where have i contradicted myself?, I did always say law required logic and reasoning)

I have concluded you're just butthurt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending