The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bullettheory
Awesome, congrats! I study at Kingston now, it's a really nice uni, you'd have fun there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the mental health support like at uni and in Kingston as a whole?
I'm feeling very abandoned right now. :sad: My friend just said my depression is taking a toll on her and proceeded to call me rude for always asking her for help basically, said we should keep a distance from now on and now I feel even worse. I just think...when she needed me, I was always there for her. Not that I ever expected anything back, but now I do feel very let down and slightly used. My medications are having bad side effects too and I'm so behind revision, I'll be lucky to pass this year. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm feeling very abandoned right now. :sad: My friend just said my depression is taking a toll on her and proceeded to call me rude for always asking her for help basically, said we should keep a distance from now on and now I feel even worse. I just think...when she needed me, I was always there for her. Not that I ever expected anything back, but now I do feel very let down and slightly used. My medications are having bad side effects too and I'm so behind revision, I'll be lucky to pass this year. :frown:

Sorry to hear that :frown: your friend should have been way more considerate and thought about what she said! Have you got anyone else that you can talk to? :hugs:
Original post by Ezme39
Pushed my boundaries today, and really seem to be working with the anxiety. Feel drained now though

Congrats! I know how hard it can be, but pushing yourself is the best way! Keep going! :hugs:

Original post by Little Popcorns
Just had a physical fight with my dad :cry2:

Sorry to hear that :frown: feel free to PM if you wanna chat :jumphug:
Can't sleep. :hide:

Luckily I don't have a early start at work tomorrow.
Yesterday was an up and down day. We were in limbo for most of it. One minute the doc would say the op was definitely going ahead and then the next it was in the balance but at 7am today we got told the donor's organs were too far gone and the tissue damage was much more than expected and if my papa got a kidney from that donor, he would have been back on the transplant list in a few months needing a new one again so he's coming home. They didn't know how bad the damage was until they opened him up :frown: no organ was viable so we aren't the only family in this situation today. Our thoughts go out to the donor's family. We are all hurting today :frown:

We're disappointed but that's life. We knew from the start this could happen but it still a kick in the gut. Papa is still at the top of the list so he could get another phone call any time - tomorrow, next week, next month. We've been told to stay on permanent stand by.

Papa's taking it better than the rest of us. He's disappointed but is a firm believer of what's for you won't go by you. Heading up to pick him up soon and then him and Garry are going to a train fare and me and mum are staying in Glasgow for a bit. Could do with a shopping spree to cheer me up :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Yesterday was an up and down day. We were in limbo for most of it. One minute the doc would say the op was definitely going ahead and then the next it was in the balance but at 7am today we got told the donor's organs were too far gone and the tissue damage was much more than expected and if my papa got a kidney from that donor, he would have been back on the transplant list in a few months needing a new one again so he's coming home. They didn't know how bad the damage was until they opened him up :frown: no organ was viable so we aren't the only family in this situation today. Our thoughts go out to the donor's family. We are all hurting today :frown:

We're disappointed but that's life. We knew from the start this could happen but it still a kick in the gut. Papa is still at the top of the list so he could get another phone call any time - tomorrow, next week, next month. We've been told to stay on permanent stand by.

Papa's taking it better than the rest of us. He's disappointed but is a firm believer of what's for you won't go by you. Heading up to pick him up soon and then him and Garry are going to a train fare and me and mum are staying in Glasgow for a bit. Could do with a shopping spree to cheer me up :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big hugs. :hugs: It's good though that he's taking it in his stride. I hope he gets the call soon!
Original post by Anon #2
I'm on Sertraline! Been on it for about 3 months now. I think it has helped a tiny bit but my body was definitely not a fan of a high dose so it was lowered again. Good luck with it!

--------

Had my appointment with IAPT this morning. Was alright, just asked me a few questions and filled a questionnaire out. I forgot how hard talking to people about personal stuff is. He asked me if I was heterosexual and I said yes (I'm not :tongue:). Don't know why I didn't say no.

Glad you think it's helped a bit at least! Sorry about the dose increase thing though. Thanks
Hope IAPT works out well and helps and you're doing alright in general :hugs:

-----------
Dad read the leaflet with the meds and said something about telling them if anything happened, cue the most awkward conversation I've ever had in my life about stuff can't talk about on here. Lied a bit about some of it and hate myself for all of it but oh well, least they know now :frown:

:grouphugs: everyone else struggling. Saber if part of that is me then please don't worry about it, it's up to you if you want to do it or not, your health and life comes first and you're on holiday! Sorry :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Feel so alone
Original post by Pathway
Feel so alone

You've got us :hugs:
Original post by Noodlzzz
You've got us :hugs:

Thank you. Just don't know where to go anymore
Original post by Airmed
Big hugs. :hugs: It's good though that he's taking it in his stride. I hope he gets the call soon!

Thank you :hugs: I hope so too. Will keep you guys all updated with everything :smile: feeling better about it now. It still sucks but his lucky day will come and hopefully it'll be soon :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Whispering is back. :cry2:

I don't know if it's because I was up for about 40 hours straight then got next to no sleep last night either. I'm hoping that's the problem. :frown: I've been trying to relax since I got here but for reasons I don't know, I just can't. Been taking a lot of klonopin the past 3 days which has helped but everytime it wears off I'm all stressed and unable to relax again.

Meant to be writing an essay I volunteered for but it's difficult....the words don't flow and I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating. Not to mention the work I'm meant to be doing for my summer class and an extremely important exam I have in July.

Don't have anything helpful to say but I know it must be really hard for you atm and I'm thinking about you :hugs:
i don't know how to cope anymore.
Going anon for this post because I don't want to come across like I'm attention seeking, or that I'm not okay, because I've been doing fine lately. I was just wondering something about bipolar disorder. I've never been diagnosed, or really thought that I might be, but it's just a thought that I've had.
There have been a very times when I've been very low, I've never done anything, but heavily considered. I feel so overwhelmed with studies that I don't want to get out of bed most days. I feel 'not good enough' most of the time. I've also had some bad anxiety attacks. with shaking and vomiting.
But there are times when I'm COMPLETELY fine, and I wouldn't even think I was the same person. I'm a creative person, and I enjoy dressing up and going to parties. I wouldn't say my mood was much higher than the average person, it's just a big shift by contrast.
This switch can happen in a really short space of time, or I can feel 'down' for days/ weeks.
Any thoughts/ opinions?
Original post by furryface12
Hope it goes well!

-----
I'm so confused
Had a hospital appointment yesterday, they prescribed me peroxetine for something unrelated but said it should help depression side too. My mum said I wasn't depressed, he said I quite clearly was. Then they didn't have it so said get my gp to prescribe but he won't cus it's not allowed any more or something so given me sertraline (sp?) which should do the same thing but he doesn't know about MH stuff and I should have said but couldn't because my mum was there trying to explain stuff as I can't talk to people well. And confused about it all anyway and too tired and ill and don't know what to do. Also got told off for losing weight again for the third time in two days which is just ****. I don't even know if this makes sense, sorry for anyone trying to read it. So much more to it than that but just needed to vent a bit :/

But yeah, anyone been on sertraline? :redface:

I've been on sertraline for about a year now and I've found that it works really well for me (previously tried citalopram, fluoxetine and St Johns Wort but none of them worked that well for me). I've had no side effects apart from some tummy trouble in the first few weeks (although I have IBS anyway so it may have been related). Feel free to ask me more.
Original post by Noodlzzz
What's the mental health support like at uni and in Kingston as a whole?

At uni the mental health support is good in my opinion. They have mental health advisors who act kinda like care coordinators within the uni. You can drop in and see them if you need to. There is mentoring support via an external agency and they are very very good. My mentor has been fantastic. My department have been fantastic with mental health support and I've heard the same about other departments in the uni.

I can't comment on the mental health services as I live in Hounslow and commute to uni. However I have been to A&E in Kingston and the psych team are very professional and one of the best I've come into contact. My friend lives in Kingston and says that services are good, especially EIS (not sure if you are still with them). The trust that Kingston is in is meant to be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel really bad for feeling this way because the person is quite nice but... When someone reminds you of a shitty time in your life or they are connected to someone who treated you badly and then they say bump into a family member and discuss how you are and say stuff about their life and send their wishes I just feel like...
Shh don't talk about me, leave me alone please. And I feel bad but it's what I feel the fact their life is a lot better than mine and probably always will be 'adds insult to injury'. But I feel like a weak and shitty person for giving in to these kinds of thoughts/feelings.
I'm feeling irrationally bad. I'm not okay, you wear me out.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on sertraline for about a year now and I've found that it works really well for me (previously tried citalopram, fluoxetine and St Johns Wort but none of them worked that well for me). I've had no side effects apart from some tummy trouble in the first few weeks (although I have IBS anyway so it may have been related). Feel free to ask me more.

Sorry missed this! Glad it's helped you so much, yeah does seem a bit ofa trial and error thing. Most of the (non serious) side effects I seem to get anyway but yeah, IBS too :redface:

Speaking of which... Has anyone ever had a really weird burning sensation on sertraline? It started off just in my hands and feet but going to other places now and getting stronger, it's odd. Other than that just felt really dizzy and sick but I'm used to them and knew they were likely, this is really annoying me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest