The Student Room Group

AQA iGCSE Biology Higher 17th May - REPLY!!

Scroll to see replies

Did the Snail Q have anything to do with Natural Selection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also in the Carbon Cycle question I described every stage in detail just forgor to write which part A B C D was - surely I still get the marks!???

Posted from TSR Mobile
this paper was awful!! any predicted grade boundaries???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Wut did people get for the percentage increase in length from Sun Bear to Polar bear pls? I got 39%, but people got (i think) 64% for their answer. Anyone else get 39%?
Reply 24
Original post by fk.harris
Also in the Carbon Cycle question I described every stage in detail just forgor to write which part A B C D was - surely I still get the marks!???

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh dw about that
Reply 25
Original post by fk.harris
Did the Snail Q have anything to do with Natural Selection

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it didn't, cos the q said the snails were from the same species. It was asking for how variation developed in the snail population. (So variation not speciation)
Reply 26
Original post by ameliastreet00
this paper was awful!! any predicted grade boundaries???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon 74/90 for A*
Will there be an unofficial mark scheme going up for this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very difficult to tell with these types of questions - natural selection was definitely included; whether the mark scheme wants speciation is another matter - if it was speciation then I don't think the snails would've have become separate species. In order for the different banding patterns to arise however there must be different habitats for the snail to blend in to, to give it a higher chance of survival.
I did igcse biology AQA on Tuesday.
I think it went okay...
Chemistry tomorrow!
Reply 30
Original post by HannahAlice123
I did igcse biology AQA on Tuesday.
I think it went okay...
Chemistry tomorrow!

Same good luck :wink:
Original post by mcdoogy
I messed up quite a bit of this. Didn't even have time to start the final 4 mark question.

I feel like the questions were too confusing and broad that it was difficult to decide on an answer. For example, the 1 mark question on the purpose of the lungs could of been loads of things:

"to oxygenate deoxygenated blood"
"to diffuse oxygen into the bloodstream"
"to absorb oxygen and remove waste carbon dioxide"

The 6 marker was ok though, seemed confusing at first but I managed to understand it eventually.

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like? :redface:

I think most people in my year found it difficult because it didn't focus a lot on human biology. I agree that the questions were often vague. Loads of them were one markers but could easily have 2,3,4... Unfortunately biology tends to be stupidly ambiguous though. I'm pretty sure the boundaries will be low,i reckon at least like 80% for an A* max
Reply 32
Original post by mcdoogy
I messed up quite a bit of this. Didn't even have time to start the final 4 mark question.

I feel like the questions were too confusing and broad that it was difficult to decide on an answer. For example, the 1 mark question on the purpose of the lungs could of been loads of things:

The 6 marker was ok though, seemed confusing at first but I managed to understand it eventually.

I said that the function of the lungs was to 'ventilate the body', do you think that would be correct??
Original post by chessmaster123
Very difficult to tell with these types of questions - natural selection was definitely included; whether the mark scheme wants speciation is another matter - if it was speciation then I don't think the snails would've have become separate species. In order for the different banding patterns to arise however there must be different habitats for the snail to blend in to, to give it a higher chance of survival.

I put natural selection, but it easily could have been the beginnings of speciation because technically any adaptation from a species will cause speciation. I think even if someone did talk about speciation and that wasn't technically the answer, since they've still explained and included "gene mutation" and the importance of different habitat/environment they should be fine.
Original post by laurendean
I said that the function of the lungs was to 'ventilate the body', do you think that would be correct??

its a one marker at the beginning of the paper, so they'll probably be bare lenient. I bet they will except that
Anyone got any paper 2 predictions for topics. I ****ed the paper one up a bit and I need an A* to to medicine so I'm have a breakdown
Original post by Earlofthegrey
Anyone got any paper 2 predictions for topics. I ****ed the paper one up a bit and I need an A* to to medicine so I'm have a breakdown

Bet its mad enzyme rate of reaction and a bit of planning an experiment. Thats what it always tend to be. Tbh its not going to be so much specific knowledge, so i wouldn't sweat about the topics its actually about anyway
Hey, just a quick question,

For the polar/sun bear 2nd question after the calc., was it correlation between climate + mass or climate + length. I mentioned SA:Vol ratio but its annoying me how I cant remember what the question was!
Original post by MovedMasterMike
Oh i didn't check my exam but i thought it was out of 60?

Definitley out of 60
Original post by mcdoogy

Quite low I think cos it was hard and it’s a new course. They’ll be lienient I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending