The Student Room Group

Latin self-teaching. Tips?

Hi,

I've finished my exams now and have a lot of free time so I'd like to teach myself Latin for fun and hopefully reach a fairly high level and was wondering if anyone had any tips and perhaps any study books that would be useful.

Background: I'm 17 (year 13) and have not done any Latin for the last couple of years. I did, however, do Latin for GCSE and was quite good (scoring 100 UMS for 3/4 of my papers) so I'm not a complete beginner but I would like to build on this and reach a much higher level.

Any tips would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Original post by Hamartia
Hi,

I've finished my exams now and have a lot of free time so I'd like to teach myself Latin for fun and hopefully reach a fairly high level and was wondering if anyone had any tips and perhaps any study books that would be useful.

Background: I'm 17 (year 13) and have not done any Latin for the last couple of years. I did, however, do Latin for GCSE and was quite good (scoring 100 UMS for 3/4 of my papers) so I'm not a complete beginner but I would like to build on this and reach a much higher level.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am currently doing GCSEs, including GCSE Latin. I wanted to do Latin for Alevel but I can't. So I was hoping to do it in the future so I did some research and I found out that Cambridge Latin Course do distance learning. It is quite expensive AS and A2 are £800 each and I think you may have to pay extra to do the exams but I think its reasonable for an Alevel and I might save up to do it in the future. You can do a distance learning course or webcam lessons but the webcam lessons are more expensive £90 an hour. I will leave all the links here.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=il%5Etop%5Ehome
http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=il^c^intro
http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=il^wl^intro
Original post by Hamartia
Hi,

Thanks!

Yo,
Latin AS student here; thankfully there are lots of useful books! I strongly recommend "The Latin Language: A Handbook for Students" by Oliver&Boyd (prepared by the Scottish Classics Group) for post-GCSE grammar and translation practice, and Latin for GCSE for the beginner grammar you may be rusty on. From there, it's practice practice practice! Do GCSE past papers to get back into the swing of things (checking against the mark scheme etc), and then head on up to A Level past papers. Use memrise (or a textbook) for vocabulary. AS level past papers are great because you'll usually be translating some (adapted) Livy and some (less adapted) Cicero - it's hard as heck, but you will get better at it. See if you can get in touch with the closet University Classics department and see if they're running any correspondence programs or if they have any tips, too!

I hope this was helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending