The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cos them man are all closet racists smh
Original post by balanced
Real chavs have no interest in politics and usual vote Labour for increased benefits.

load of bullocks
Original post by balanced
Real chavs have no interest in politics and are too stupid/ lazy to register and go down to the polling station. If they did though they'd either vote Labour for benefits or UKIP to kick all the foreigners out..

Fixed that for you.
Original post by intelligent con
All of the UKIP and out campaign supporters I see seem to be racist uneducated chavs. Research has also found those who support UKIP and Brexit are among the least educated of society. Why is this group so drawn to Brexit? Does it tell you something about the strength of their arguments?

Original post by Davij038
Fixed that for you.

Well I am from Hong Kong and I vote leave. Believe it or not Leave and Remain voters are all normal people you'll meet everyday. Can we stop making up stereotypes please?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CherishFreedom
Well I am from Hong Kong and I vote leave. Can we stop making up stereotypes please?

I don't think you understand the context here. (In any case I specifically said that a real chav has no real interest in politics) - Unless you identify as a Chav I suggest you go and lie down in a darkened room.
I don't think you understand the context here. (In any case I specifically said that a real chav has no real interest in politics) - Unless you identify as a Chav I suggest you go and lie down in a darkened room.

I understood your context completely. My point is for everyone to stop using stereotypes to 'strengthen' their arguments, this goes to both sides. It really shows more about the person making the stereotype than the people you are stereotyping on.
Original post by CherishFreedom
I understood your context completely. My point is for everyone to stop using stereotypes to 'strengthen' their arguments, this goes to both sides. It really shows more about the person making the stereotype than the people you are stereotyping on.

Exactly. Saying 'most UKIP supporters are chavs' is as wrong and stupid as saying 'most Muslims are terrorists'. The only difference is biased remain campaigners, such as the ones here supporting "intelligent" con's statement, feel it's completely fine for them to stereotype yet if someone they disagree with does it they go completely mental. It's pure hypocrisy, idiocy and completely wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by similarBlank
Exactly. Saying 'most UKIP supporters are chavs' is as wrong and stupid as saying 'most Muslims are terrorists'. The only difference is biased remain campaigners, such as the ones here supporting "intelligent" con's statement, feel it's completely fine for them to stereotype yet if someone they disagree with does it they go completely mental. It's pure hypocrisy, idiocy and completely wrong.

Point One: Intelligent Con is a troll, and a successful and funny one at that.

Point Two: As has been pointed out, both sides stereotype.

Point Three: Not to generalise, but the most vocal Brexiters have really showed themselved to be quite thin skinned of leave. They're happy to dish it out and call us IN voters traitors and brainwashed etc but when it's their turn...

Point One: Intelligent Con is a troll

I was unaware he was a troll, fair enough.

Point Three: Not to generalise, but the most vocal Brexiters have really showed themselved to be quite thin skinned of leave. They're happy to dish it out and call us IN voters traitors and brainwashed etc but when it's their turn...

For balance, I'd obviously like to point out that this is exactly the same with remain supporters.

I.e. 'Not to generalise, but the most vocal Remainians have really showed themselved to be quite thin skinned of remain. They're happy to dish it out and call us OUT voters chavs and uneducated etc but when it's their turn...'

You get the idea.

My point is is that these people, on both sides, are clearly wrong to use stereotypes, or insults, or lies, or scaremongering, or whatever, in a completely unproductive and undemocratic attempt to enforce their views and no one should advocate them simply because they support the same side as them.
I am in favour of the UK remaining in the EU. I would not make the mistake that the OP has made of assuming all those who wish to leave the EU are those on a low income who are xenophobic or racist. Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage are not poor people for example.
I have a sneaking suspicion that when the established body politic refers to you as an uneducated racist 'chav', it becomes increasingly tempting to vent anger at some estranged foreign establishment. Only the worst kind of smug self satisfied tory would ever refer to a group of people as chavs. As much as I disagree with the people you're mentioning, they deserve to be included and treated as if people actually care about their concerns if we are ever going to make any kind of progress.
Reply 31
I'm not sure I'd call Daniel Hannan or Rees-Mogg chavs.
A ridiculous argument of prejudice and judgement in the opening post, where the notion and hate even comes from, I'm not quite sure. But if I were an undecided voter reading your self conceited stance, I would be inclined to gravitate away from you and your position.
I think you are very wrong about assuming all UKIP supporters are chavs ......you have misunderstood .....the people who usually vote for UKIP are working that’s WORKING class families ....who have to put up with over crowded council estates taken up by immigrants .( As they have been waiting on the council list for six years ...and they get moved to the bottom of the list because an immigrant takes there place .There are a host of other reasons why people vote for UKIP ...wanting back our Christian society is another reason ...so we don’t have to be bombarded to Islamic teaching and mosques springing up everywhere.
Reply 34

Original post by Rachie1980
I think you are very wrong about assuming all UKIP supporters are chavs ......you have misunderstood .....the people who usually vote for UKIP are working that’s WORKING class families ....who have to put up with over crowded council estates taken up by immigrants .( As they have been waiting on the council list for six years ...and they get moved to the bottom of the list because an immigrant takes there place .There are a host of other reasons why people vote for UKIP ...wanting back our Christian society is another reason ...so we don’t have to be bombarded to Islamic teaching and mosques springing up everywhere.

You bumped a 4yr old thread to say this tosh?! Jesus.
Original post by P357
Point being, the chavy unwashed up there don't lean right. The state of the vast majority of northern towns should at at the very least hint to that.

Not quite. Northern towns are testament to the idea that allowing the friends and family of home county Tory MPs to become stinking rich off the back of government contracts because the wealth will trickle down doesn't work.

They are also an example of looking inward also doesn't work and why education in an information age is essential.
(edited 3 years ago)
The irony of this is UKIP was built, and Brexit was caused, by attitudes like this. The people you mention are usually from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and have a less than stellar academic background. Citing them as chavs is insulting, patronising and ignores their legitimate concerns. They will not stop having their concerns and beliefs, rather their concerns and belief will simmer over time before the boiling point is reached. UKIP comes along as a vehicle to carry their concerns since no other political party is seen to be committed to their concerns. When the opportunity arose - the Brexit referendum - the people vote out.

Brexit was always going to happen because remainers were largely incapable of making the positive case for EU membership, in a way that does not isolate the aforementioned people and without insulting them.

Latest

Trending

Trending