The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry unit 1 resit May 27th 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by potato cell
i believe you could have put fractional distillation aswell... the question about separating the two molecules

That's what I put! When I saw that chromatography was an option, I was like "well there goes another mark" I wasn't sure at all
If you bullet pointed answers in section B will you get the mark even though its meant to be in a continuous process. I wrote them in proper secntences i just sepearated out seperate things like 'Silicon is macromolecular'
Original post by MattyR01
If you bullet pointed answers in section B will you get the mark even though its meant to be in a continuous process. I wrote them in proper secntences i just sepearated out seperate things like 'Silicon is macromolecular'

Yeah you will get all the marks. I've asked teachers about this. Unless the question says "The quality of your written communication bla bla". Then writing bullet points is completely fine. That's how I do it to save time
Will I get the mark for saying Distillation, instead of Fractional Distillation?
Original post by Matt Johnson
Will I get the mark for saying Distillation, instead of Fractional Distillation?

Doubt it, in other mark schemes it only allows frcational distillation or chromotography
For the mass spec question i wrote that all 3 peaks would be there and i explained would that give me a mark?
Legit i made so many errors :frown:
is there an unofficial mark scheme yet???
Reply 427
Original post by Bloom77
Nope
It was 49.30%

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg, I got that! yay, lol.
Feel like it's gonna be about 54 for an A or less, seems like a tough paper considering what people got. Tbh I think they made it tougher because they knew no first year students were taking it. which is annoying because grade boundaries might be normal ish as there's a higher ratio of people better at chemistry
For the 2 equation questions both worth two marks, they gave more space, do you think working is required to access both marks, or is it one mark for each side of the equations or what do you guys think because I just but the balanced equation with no working.
Original post by granteire
for mass spec similarities, did anyone write same molecular ion peak due to same Ar of sample?

ya but don't know if its right
I said peaks would be the same height as they have the same abundance?
Original post by emsieMC
Feel like it's gonna be about 54 for an A or less, seems like a tough paper considering what people got. Tbh I think they made it tougher because they knew no first year students were taking it. which is annoying because grade boundaries might be normal ish as there's a higher ratio of people better at chemistry

Hi do you reckon so? I think from what i heard is that ppl made silly mistakes but found it easier than last year
Original post by Rid123
For the 2 equation questions both worth two marks, they gave more space, do you think working is required to access both marks, or is it one mark for each side of the equations or what do you guys think because I just but the balanced equation with no working.

You get one mark for balancing and one for figuring out the other product made I think
Original post by Aliceeee12
Hi do you reckon so? I think from what i heard is that ppl made silly mistakes but found it easier than last year

Reall? I thought a lot of people messed up on the calculations. And especially that 6 marker for bond shapes and angles
Original post by emsieMC
Reall? I thought a lot of people messed up on the calculations. And especially that 6 marker for bond shapes and angles

Im not sure if im honest i didnt ask a lot of people but who i said did.
I do hope your right tho!
Original post by djhodnett
is there an unofficial mark scheme yet???

Yeah i made one
Original post by Aliceeee12
Im not sure if im honest i didnt ask a lot of people but who i said did.
I do hope your right tho!

Yeah me too! I was just basing it off of what people have said on this thread
Original post by emsieMC
Yeah me too! I was just basing it off of what people have said on this thread

I think it was easier mainly because of how much you know now after chem4 and 5. I mean it was better than that weird nitrogen question last year :biggrin:
Original post by emsieMC

I don't think the grade bounderies will be higher due 'to a higher ratio of people who are better at chemistry' because our years lot of A/A* students wouldn't have resat, only very few with low/mid A's would have as a strategic resit ... So this year there's fewer people who are better at Chem
Plus a lot of people who's got D's and lower who will find it really hard to push up their grade significantly esp with pressure of a2 because the only thing that overlaps in Chem 1 is periodicity, so in that sense it will be lower

Quick Reply

Latest