The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day 2022 - Retake and Remark Information

Hi everyone! :wavey:

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most exams, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about reviews of marking and retakes, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

The purpose of this thread is to give you all the information you need if you’re considering getting a review of marking or retaking an exam. I'll try to cover as much as I can and I’ll focus on the most common questions that come up, but if you’re still a little bit stuck then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

Retakes

Reviews of Marking

If you didn't do as well as you hoped then here are some general questions answered here

Didn't do as well I hoped

Good luck to everyone :hugs:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I've got a question. I got 2 7's in chemistry and physics and I checked the OCR grade boundaries because that is my board and I was only one mark of a grade 8 so is that a good reason to get it remarked??
Original post by Lemur14

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most exams, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about reviews of marking and retakes, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

The purpose of this thread is to give you all the information you need if you’re considering getting a review of marking or retaking an exam. I'll try to cover as much as I can and I’ll focus on the most common questions that come up, but if you’re still a little bit stuck then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

Retakes

Reviews of Marking

If you didn't do as well as you hoped then here are some general questions answered here

Didn't do as well as I hoped

I did bad in English language and I have to re take it now. Since I want to do English will top university care that I had to re sit English language since my degree I want to do is engineering
Original post by BuildingCorpse
Hi I've got a question. I got 2 7's in chemistry and physics and I checked the OCR grade boundaries because that is my board and I was only one mark of a grade 8 so is that a good reason to get it remarked??

Yes that is entirely sensible - if you're quick enough you might wish to send back one paper first and see if that comes back then send off the other one in order to avoid having one go up and the other go down but it's up to you :smile:
Original post by Rainyzack
I did bad in English language and I have to re take it now. Since I want to do English will top university care that I had to re sit English language since my degree I want to do is engineering

It does depend on the uni, but often they're not bothered as long as you meet their minimum requirements so you'll definitely be able to find some good universities who don't mind :smile:
Should i remark english lang and lit. For lit i got 73 which is a 5 and i needed ONE more mark (74) to get a 6. And for english language i got 97 and needed 100 to get a 7 so i was three marks off. For lit im 100% doing it but for lang im worried because the grade boundary for a grade 6 is also no so if i go more thsn 7 marks down i could be bumped to a 5 and i need a 6 to do my course. But a 7 is also needed for one of the universities i wanted to do. I wanna be a lawyer so english grades r inportant. Should i do it?
yo should i remark my phsyics i got 107 and im pretty sure i need 108 for the A*
Yep, it definitely is. I'm literally in the same situation (1 mark below an 8 in Chemistry) and will get a remark. There's nothing to lose because even if you get nothing out of it it'll still be a 7. Hope you get the extra marks :smile:
Original post by Lemur14

Retakes

Reviews of Marking

hi! I was 1 mark away from a 9 in maths and 2 marks away from a 9 in further maths. Should I send it off for a re-mark? Thank you!
Original post by chai2k6
hi! I was 1 mark away from a 9 in maths and 2 marks away from a 9 in further maths. Should I send it off for a re-mark? Thank you!

Was this Edexcel or AQA? I'd send for a priority copy of your papers and look to see which papers if any are worth sending for another look :smile:
Hi! This was for AQA, both maths and further maths
Original post by Lemur14
Was this Edexcel or AQA? I'd send for a priority copy of your papers and look to see which papers if any are worth sending for another look :smile:
There is something to lose though, your money. It costs £50 for a remark. I'm in a similar situation btw

Original post by Labyrinth976
Yep, it definitely is. I'm literally in the same situation (1 mark below an 8 in Chemistry) and will get a remark. There's nothing to lose because even if you get nothing out of it it'll still be a 7. Hope you get the extra marks :smile:
I just got my GCSE Results back and I was 1 mark off a 9 in Physics, 1 mark off a 9 in chemistry, and 1 mark off a 9 in English Literature. Would you recommend that I get all 3 re-marked? I'm doing Physics A Level so I want a 9 in physics especially.
Original post by Lemur14

Retakes

Reviews of Marking

Reply 13
How often is it that grades go up on a remark? Do you think they might be more lenient the second time around and allow you a mark or two (considering a remark in chem where I was 2 marks away from the next grade)?
Original post by Sirius17
I just got my GCSE Results back and I was 1 mark off a 9 in Physics, 1 mark off a 9 in chemistry, and 1 mark off a 9 in English Literature. Would you recommend that I get all 3 re-marked? I'm doing Physics A Level so I want a 9 in physics especially.

Any papers which are Edexcel or AQA you can get back a priority copy of for free. This will allow you to look and see if it's worth sending a paper or two back. It's probably not worth looking for English Lit because you won't know if another mark is to be gained but definitely worth it for physics and chemistry!
Original post by ax4
How often is it that grades go up on a remark? Do you think they might be more lenient the second time around and allow you a mark or two (considering a remark in chem where I was 2 marks away from the next grade)?

No they are not more lenient the second time - it is literally a check that the judgement of the original marker is reasonable.
Original post by Lemur14
Any papers which are Edexcel or AQA you can get back a priority copy of for free. This will allow you to look and see if it's worth sending a paper or two back. It's probably not worth looking for English Lit because you won't know if another mark is to be gained but definitely worth it for physics and chemistry!

No they are not more lenient the second time - it is literally a check that the judgement of the original marker is reasonable.

Would you say I should get maths and further maths remarked? 1 mark away from a grade 9
Original post by chai2k6
Would you say I should get maths and further maths remarked? 1 mark away from a grade 9

I'd get a copy of your papers back (if AQA or Edexcel) and look for if there's somewhere the mark should be gained and only send that paper back :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
I'd get a copy of your papers back (if AQA or Edexcel) and look for if there's somewhere the mark should be gained and only send that paper back :smile:

Cool! Would you say it’ll be easier to find a mark in maths papers?
Original post by chai2k6
Cool! Would you say it’ll be easier to find a mark in maths papers?

It's easier to see where there's an obvious mark missed or similar certainly
Hi,

I'm currently in a dilemma and would really appreciate some advice. So, when I opened my GCSE results included in the envelope were certificates from each exam board (for me they were AQA, Edexcel and OCR) that listed each subject I did with that exam board, the mark I got on each paper and my overall grade (e.g. I did RS with AQA and on my 'certificate' from them it stated what I got on each paper and my overall grade of 9). That day was chaos for me and unfortunately I misplaced all three certificates. I contacted my exam officer to ask if school could issue replacement for me but I'm not sure if that was the right course of action/ person to contact. Advice on what I should do? Also, is it too late to ask school for a copy of a GCSE paper I did?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest