Scroll to see replies

Put it all into my bank account :biggrin:
Hella hoes
Pay off my student loan . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by Imperion
Yep :h:

Its emanonthetrack. Sub to me on YouTube!
Take me and my mates to Cancún for a week (I've always wanted to go to Mexico) and save the rest for uni
Split it, keep $5000.00 and put it towards university and savings, and give the remainder to my parents.
Original post by AfcFob
Take me and my mates to Cancún for a week (I've always wanted to go to Mexico) and save the rest for uni

Mexico is so beautiful, I loved it! Go to Playa del Carmen if you go.
Original post by ivybridge
Mexico is so beautiful, I loved it! Go to Playa del Carmen if you go.

I will remember that, Riviera Maya has always looked really beautiful too
Original post by londonundergrad
I was given 10k on my 18th birthday. I spent 1k of it on clothes and tech and alcohol, and I put the remaining 9k in a cofunds investment ISA. I'm going to uni in September so I'll be spending my money (grown to 9.5k) on any bills or living costs that my student loan doesn't cover!

It sounds like - hopefully - you'll be a living a very comfortable few years at uni, I'm glad to hear it!
Original post by thecatwithnohat
It sounds like - hopefully - you'll be a living a very comfortable few years at uni, I'm glad to hear it!

Hatless cat! :eek: You're back!
Original post by Hydeman
Hatless cat! :eek: You're back!

My iPhone broke :emo: so I have to rely on this, Youtube and fb to get me through exams.

How are you, Hydebae? :colonhash:.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
My iPhone broke :emo: so I have to rely on this, Youtube and fb to get me through exams.

How about relying on revision to get you through exams? Procrasticat. :colonhash:

How are you, Hydebae? :colonhash:.

That pet name: :indiff:

I'm okay. :h: How about you? :colonhash:
I would spend it on my training in mountaineering and some to charity.
Original post by Hydeman
How about relying on revision to get you through exams? Procrasticat. :colonhash:

That pet name: :indiff:

I'm okay. :h: How about you? :colonhash:

Stop it omg, Whatsapp and taking photos were my coping mechanisms. Unfortunately, the world has gotta do what its currently doing to make life unbearable! One day (during my tsr break, obviously) a pigeon literally flew into the library, flew around a bit and pooped on my work on it way of the window. What were the freaking odds. :cry:

I can vaguely remember the thread I dedicated to you so don't remember what nickname I made for you specifically. Also, I'm glad to hear it, I'm fine too thanks for asking. :innocent:
Reply 134
All you people saying ISAs you do realise those are for tax purchases not saving right? you make no money with them.
Drop ~£5k on a new car which I am desperatly in need of so I can finally get rid of this damn Subaru. Would probably sell the scooby and spend the ~1.5k off of that on a new bike since not having one in this weather is getting depressing.

Other £5k would go into my savings.
Original post by Napp
All you people saying ISAs you do realise those are for tax purchases not saving right? you make no money with them.

Depends on the type of ISA. On some of the fixxed rate ones you can get a good 3% per year. There are other perks too such as the help to buy ISAs if you are saving for a mortgage deposit (which is what I am doing personally).

Variable rate access any time ISAs with tiny interest rates I agree are pointless, If you need access to the money and dont mind a bit of active management bouncing cash between current accounts seems a smart way of safe investment of moderate sums (2-20k)
Reply 137
Original post by CAElite
Depends on the type of ISA. On some of the fixxed rate ones you can get a good 3% per year. There are other perks too such as the help to buy ISAs if you are saving for a mortgage deposit (which is what I am doing personally).

Variable rate access any time ISAs with tiny interest rates I agree are pointless, If you need access to the money and dont mind a bit of active management bouncing cash between current accounts seems a smart way of safe investment of moderate sums (2-20k)

That may be but the fact remains they have never been designed for people to make money out of them short of a gambling one like a S&S ISA theyre original and primary purpose is for tax write offs.
I would save that for uni:h:
Original post by Napp
That may be but the fact remains they have never been designed for people to make money out of them short of a gambling one like a S&S ISA theyre original and primary purpose is for tax write offs.

Since you sound pretty clued up, out of curiosity what do you do with your savings (or theoretical savings if you are going the way I am and hemorraging funds! :biggrin:)? Ive been experimenting trying to make a small return on the moderate (Couple of grand) savings I have without risking stocks and bonds which to be honest I know next to nothing about.

So far my most success has been bouncing between 'premium rate' current accounts using direct debits to stay just above there minimum input/output thresholds. My highest account sits on 4.8% APR up to 2k with the rest being held in another that offers 3% on £3-20. My income comes into the 4.8 account which requires £500 a month to keep APR, on payday £1000 gets DD to the 3% to keep its APR up then the day after that the 3% account DDs ~£500 back into the 4.8% to keep it on £2k. I also have my rent and credit card DD coming from the 3% account as it has a minimum direct debit count requirement. Daily purchases go on credit which full balance DDs every month. So yeah In theory I make 4.8% return on £2k and 3% return on £3k+ well also building a credit rating, however the 3% has turned into 2% since I dont hold the minimum balance for the 3% return anymore :/.

I plan to move the balance of the 3% account to a help too buy ISA once I start making a more reliable income every month.

Moneysavingexpert.com is a great resource by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest