The Student Room Group

Fiancé (M21) won’t change job to support us (F21).

My fiancé and I have been together for 4 years, we have been through so much but I don’t know how much longer I can stay since this is affecting our daughter. To sum it up we were high school sweet hearts, we were so in love and had such an amazing relationship. We got engaged when we’re 18 & 19. This caused a lot of problems due to the fact that he was a mama’s boy and his mom relied on him for everything ever since his parents divorced (especially her emotionally/mental wellness). She would say such disrespectful things to me and wouldn’t allow me anywhere near her stuff. I would 100% understand if I ever wronged her or her son but I never did, I was always kind to their family. So my fiancé got us an apartment so we could continue our relationship, I was full time in college taking 6 classes at a time so I couldn’t work. He already had his associates by the time we moved in and worked in robotics making steady money. We were still having problems with his mom but we kept trying to work through. All of a sudden he wants to quit his job that was paying the bills and work for his dad who has a small carpentry LLC. I told him if this makes you happy then go for it. Btw he took a large pay decrease, he made $23 at his old job and only makes $13 now!! Unexpectedly I got pregnant, he seemed happy but got cold to me throughout the pregnancy. I had to be on bedrest due to incompetent cervix, since I could essentially go into labor at anytime. My partner couldn’t make the bills anymore and he racked up his credit. So my parents were kind enough to let us move into their basement (definitely not how I planned having a family). We told my parents we would only live with them for a year until we could save up for a home. Well my fiancé went behind my back bought all these tools, making himself have $10,000 in debt!!! This is not including his already $16,000 debt from his car and trailer. So he is now $26,000 in debt and I’m still staying with him through this all while pregnant. I was livid, never even bought one single thing for our baby but bought $10,000 worth of tools for himself. My parents were so supportive through everything, they took care of me and my daughters things. I owe them so much. Also I forgot to mention when my fiancé told his dad that was I expecting he told my fiancé to get an abortion because he was too young (21). Now I am 3 months postpartum and in school again, I have begged him to get a new job over and over. He always says, “I don’t want to hurt my dads feelings” or “I don’t think my dad will be okay without me”. IM SORRY WHAT?!! Your 55 year old dad won’t be okay without you?? But your 3 month old daughter will? I have stuck by him for so long but I think this might be my breaking point since he won’t make a change. There are so many other jobs he could get making $30+ but he always makes reasons why he can’t do them. He can’t support himself or our daughter. He now has his credit cards down to $4,000 and his car/trailer to $11,000 but this is only because he pay no bills for the baby or I. I got my daughters insurance. I love him so much but he’s breaking my heart but not doing the best for our family
Reply 1
:u:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My fiancé and I have been together for 4 years, we have been through so much but I don’t know how much longer I can stay since this is affecting our daughter. To sum it up we were high school sweet hearts, we were so in love and had such an amazing relationship. We got engaged when we’re 18 & 19. This caused a lot of problems due to the fact that he was a mama’s boy and his mom relied on him for everything ever since his parents divorced (especially her emotionally/mental wellness). She would say such disrespectful things to me and wouldn’t allow me anywhere near her stuff. I would 100% understand if I ever wronged her or her son but I never did, I was always kind to their family. So my fiancé got us an apartment so we could continue our relationship, I was full time in college taking 6 classes at a time so I couldn’t work. He already had his associates by the time we moved in and worked in robotics making steady money. We were still having problems with his mom but we kept trying to work through. All of a sudden he wants to quit his job that was paying the bills and work for his dad who has a small carpentry LLC. I told him if this makes you happy then go for it. Btw he took a large pay decrease, he made $23 at his old job and only makes $13 now!! Unexpectedly I got pregnant, he seemed happy but got cold to me throughout the pregnancy. I had to be on bedrest due to incompetent cervix, since I could essentially go into labor at anytime. My partner couldn’t make the bills anymore and he racked up his credit. So my parents were kind enough to let us move into their basement (definitely not how I planned having a family). We told my parents we would only live with them for a year until we could save up for a home. Well my fiancé went behind my back bought all these tools, making himself have $10,000 in debt!!! This is not including his already $16,000 debt from his car and trailer. So he is now $26,000 in debt and I’m still staying with him through this all while pregnant. I was livid, never even bought one single thing for our baby but bought $10,000 worth of tools for himself. My parents were so supportive through everything, they took care of me and my daughters things. I owe them so much. Also I forgot to mention when my fiancé told his dad that was I expecting he told my fiancé to get an abortion because he was too young (21). Now I am 3 months postpartum and in school again, I have begged him to get a new job over and over. He always says, “I don’t want to hurt my dads feelings” or “I don’t think my dad will be okay without me”. IM SORRY WHAT?!! Your 55 year old dad won’t be okay without you?? But your 3 month old daughter will? I have stuck by him for so long but I think this might be my breaking point since he won’t make a change. There are so many other jobs he could get making $30+ but he always makes reasons why he can’t do them. He can’t support himself or our daughter. He now has his credit cards down to $4,000 and his car/trailer to $11,000 but this is only because he pay no bills for the baby or I. I got my daughters insurance. I love him so much but he’s breaking my heart but not doing the best for our family

He sounds like an idiot I think you can do better
Reply 3
Your bf's priority in life is doing what his parents want him to do.
Not to maximise his income, have a happy relationship with you or provide as much emotional and practical support as possible to his child & baby momma.

Best to ask your parents if you can stay with them with your baby for longer than a year, let them know that you plan to you leave him and end the relationship because he won't do anything to support his child.
Then file for child support and whatever assistance you will be entitled to as a single mother.
Whatever you do- don't let either of his nasty parents have any visitation or access to your child.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending