The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mactotaur
I've been discussing the 'superhero representation' issue a lot lately, so the 3% statistic is fresh in my mind. Do you deny slavery happened?

What kind of question is that? Its like asking if WW2 ever happened, of course it did.
Original post by The_Opinion
What kind of question is that? Its like asking if WW2 ever happened, of course it did.

Exactly. You see my point?

The slavery example was just one. If you object to it so much, I can give another, though I hope you understand what I'm getting at.
Exactly. You see my point?

The slavery example was just one. If you object to it so much, I can give another, though I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

No,

I really don't see what your point is here.

I am saying that anything can become legal if enough MP's support it, and you ask me if slavery ever occurred.
No,

I really don't see what your point is here.

I am saying that anything can become legal if enough MP's support it, and you ask me if slavery ever occurred.

You really missed the point then.

You said that if enough MPs vote for something, it could be criminalised. I don't think that even if a large amount of MPs voted to bring back something like slavery, it would be allowed to be passed. If it was, there would be riots on an unprecedented scale, and anybody in power surely knows that.
You really missed the point then.

You said that if enough MPs vote for something, it could be criminalised. I don't think that even if a large amount of MPs voted to bring back something like slavery, it would be allowed to be passed. If it was, there would be riots on an unprecedented scale, and anybody in power surely knows that.

"Would not be allowed" - Nobody would have the legal right to stop it.

In the example we are using, if so many MP's were voted for that supported bring back slavery, that would mean that a large amount, probably the majority of the population also supported it, any protests would be short lived and could easily be beaten down.

As I have said, any law can be made.
"Would not be allowed" - Nobody would have the legal right to stop it.

In the example we are using, if so many MP's were voted for that supported bring back slavery, that would mean that a large amount, probably the majority of the population also supported it, any protests would be short lived and could easily be beaten down.

As I have said, any law can be made.

That's called Tyranny of the Majority and it is generally a bad thing. It's the reason Proposition 8 was shot down in California, because people don't get to vote on other people's rights, that's kind of the point of us having them.
Original post by NHM
I'm bisexual myself - either way I don't think it matters... but a marriage should surely be between a man and a woman :/

Original post by TimeTravel_0
I believe that marriage is a sacred union between a Man and a Woman.

Any particular reason why you think this?
We live in a secular society so what right does anybody have to deny another individual (or two individuals) who happens to be gay the same rights as others who are straight?

You may have a particular view based on your own religious views or personal prejudice which is fine to have and your right but this doesn't mean your view should mean a whole section of society should be denied access to marriage.

I have no issue with it specifically on the basis that all members of our community deserve 100% equality no mater what way they choose to live their life.
Original post by minimarshmallow
That's called Tyranny of the Majority and it is generally a bad thing. It's the reason Proposition 8 was shot down in California, because people don't get to vote on other people's rights, that's kind of the point of us having them.

I never said if it was a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that it can occur and that gay marriage will be repealed in the future.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Any particular reason why you think this?

Because the Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman.
I don't agree with it personally due to reasons of faith but as long as religious institutions aren't forced to perform them against their will there isn't a lot I can complain about

I am not religious at all but can't believe Jesus would agree with you. After all he disregarded much of the Old Testament.
Reply 272
No i dont
I have an interesting discussion point relating to the Bible that I have noticed. I am a Christian and respect all the goodness the Bible has to offer me, but sometimes it can be quite harsh.

The Bible says some weird and cruel stuff such as "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel."in 1 Peter 2:18 which sounds like it would support the slavery of black people.
But of course, all good Christians understand that this is outdated and not relevant anymore as times have changed and we know racism is wrong.
The same applies to marriage being between a man and a woman, especially in Leviticus 20:13 when it says "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death;their blood will be on their heads." Surely, a Christian who follows the Ten Commandments including "Thou shalt not kill" would not follow what the Bible says in this passage and understand that it is outdated and does not apply.

TL;DR: The Bible can be outdated and some scriptures don't apply to these times. ^Proof above
Original post by Cooliomed
I am not religious at all but can't believe Jesus would agree with you. After all he disregarded much of the Old Testament.

Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.

The Bible has nothing to do with secular marriage.

It doesn't get to come along later and demand everyone changes to it even if they don't believe in it.
I never said if it was a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that it can occur and that gay marriage will be repealed in the future.

The majority of people support gay marriage.

You suggested that the majority of Muslims, who are rising in number, are against gay marriage. Let's say 80% are against it (unless you can find me a real statistic).

Less than 5% of England's population is Muslim. Let's say 2,700,000. 80% of that is 2,160,000.

Over half the population is atheist, and rising, and mostly support gay marriage. There are over 60 million people in the country, so let's just say 30,000,000.

Unless something really drastic happens, gay marriage isn't getting repealed.
Original post by OGGUS
No it Haraam. Astagfurallah how can you be for it astagfurallah. They do dirty things with each other Haraam. And they go to Hell to burn

:rofl:
Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.

The Bible doesn't agree with anything; don't pick and choose according to what suits you, pal.

How did you work that one out? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending