The Student Room Group

Too much maintenance loan

Would i be able to spend a small amount of my maintenance loan on none-related university items if i believe i can afford my finances throughout the year?
e.g. driving lessons? thanks in advance, Sophie
You can spend it how you like , of course you need to reserve most of it for accommodation , food etc.
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You can spend it how you like , of course you need to reserve most of it for accommodation , food etc.

I will be travelling from home so i should be fine. Thanks!
you can spend it however you like, no one is going to check
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
you can spend it however you like, no one is going to check

If i spent a small portion of it, i would need to repay it back when i have finished university anyway? so it would be sitting there to be repaid anyway when i can put it to good use?
if im wrong please correct me :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Sopha16
If i spent a small portion of it, i would need to repay it back when i have finished university anyway? so it would be sitting there to be repaid anyway when i can put it to good use?

It's your money, it gets paid back with the other loan; essentially nobody gives a **** what you do with it.
Reply 6
My friend went to uni last year and most people spent their loans on pointless things early on and had to drop out through lack of funds. Honestly the loans don't seem to stretch very far so i would recommend just spending it on uni things. Lots of people seem to find if you don't have money alongside the loan you will struggle so you might want to save it until you KNOW that you wont need it later on.
Reply 7
Original post by Samonia
My friend went to uni last year and most people spent their loans on pointless things early on and had to drop out through lack of funds. Honestly the loans don't seem to stretch very far so i would recommend just spending it on uni things. Lots of people seem to find if you don't have money alongside the loan you will struggle so you might want to save it until you KNOW that you wont need it later on.

Thanks, that was useful. I will have a lot left over because i'm travelling in and only need it for trains and lunch as i was given an unexpected amount. I think i would be able to let some slide thanks :h:
Original post by Sopha16

yeah, you will pay back on the same schedule regardless of whether you have 10k left in your account when you graduate or whether you're 2k overdrawn, obviously you could pay back money early if it was left sat in your account but tbh your student loans are not a huge chunk out of your salary and you won't miss them - there are lots of useful and worthwhile things you can do with that money, I would take the maximum loan you can get and put it to use

there are people on here who've invested their loans... you'd also have the option to save it for travelling, save it in case volunteering for a while (or a summer internship) is useful in your sector, use it as a buffer for when you finish uni if you don't have a job, put it towards savings for a house deposit, use it to set yourself up renting (fees/furniture etc), learning to drive is a good use as well, driving will be important when you're trying to work

but honestly, do whatever the hell you like with it, it's your money for now, I would advise not wasting it buying loads of clothes and stuff because having plenty of spare money could be really useful, but learning to drive is certainly not a waste
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
yeah, you will pay back on the same schedule regardless of whether you have 10k left in your account when you graduate or whether you're 2k overdrawn, obviously you could pay back money early if it was left sat in your account but tbh your student loans are not a huge chunk out of your salary and you won't miss them - there are lots of useful and worthwhile things you can do with that money, I would take the maximum loan you can get and put it to use

there are people on here who've invested their loans... you'd also have the option to save it for travelling, save it in case volunteering for a while (or a summer internship) is useful in your sector, use it as a buffer for when you finish uni if you don't have a job, put it towards savings for a house deposit, use it to set yourself up renting (fees/furniture etc), learning to drive is a good use as well, driving will be important when you're trying to work

but honestly, do whatever the hell you like with it, it's your money for now, I would advise not wasting it buying loads of clothes and stuff because having plenty of spare money could be really useful, but learning to drive is certainly not a waste

That has really helped and made me think of other options. Thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by Samonia

Are you sure? Maintenance loans are payed three times a year. There maybe be short fall periods but it shouldn't result in no money for the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending