The Student Room Group

Geography ocr b thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Option 2!!
OCR B GCSE Geography: For the exam on Wednesday 8th June, you need to learn and know these case studies:

Natural Hazards

Climatic Hazard - two case studies - one MEDC (eg. Katrina) and LEDC (eg. cyclone Nargis)
Tectonic Hazard - two cast studies - one MEDC (Kobe Earthquake) and LEDC (eg Haitit earthquake)

Population & Settlement

Managing Population - one case study (e.g. China One-Child policy)

Internal Migration - one case study (e.g. South-east Brazil)
International Migration - one case study (eg. Poland to UK or Mexico to USA)

Changing retail services - one case study (eg. Bluewater)

Urban development - one case study (e.g. Greenwich Meridian Village)

Economic Development

Aid project - one case study (eg. WaterAid in Mali)

Location of Industry - one case study (eg. Pearl river Delta)

Economic core region - one case study (eg. Brazil's economic core region)

Globalisation MNC - one case study (eg. Nike) (any company tbh)

If u have the OCR B Geography textbook by CGP, there are some case studies in there to learn.

NOTE: RIVERS & COASTS IS NOT IN THE MAIN EXAM ON WEDNESDAY. YOU DON'T NEED TO LEARN ANY OF THE CONTENT OR CASE STUDIES FOR THAT.
Original post by MovedMasterMike
OCR B GCSE Geography: For the exam on Wednesday 8th June, you need to learn and know these case studies:

Natural Hazards

Climatic Hazard - two case studies - one MEDC (eg. Katrina) and LEDC (eg. cyclone Nargis)
Tectonic Hazard - two cast studies - one MEDC (Kobe Earthquake) and LEDC (eg Haitit earthquake)

Population & Settlement

Managing Population - one case study (e.g. China One-Child policy)

Internal Migration - one case study (e.g. South-east Brazil)
International Migration - one case study (eg. Poland to UK or Mexico to USA)

Changing retail services - one case study (eg. Bluewater)

Urban development - one case study (e.g. Greenwich Meridian Village)

Economic Development

Aid project - one case study (eg. WaterAid in Mali)

Location of Industry - one case study (eg. Pearl river Delta)

Economic core region - one case study (eg. Brazil's economic core region)

Globalisation MNC - one case study (eg. Nike) (any company tbh)

If u have the OCR B Geography textbook by CGP, there are some case studies in there to learn.

NOTE: RIVERS & COASTS IS NOT IN THE MAIN EXAM ON WEDNESDAY. YOU DON'T NEED TO LEARN ANY OF THE CONTENT OR CASE STUDIES FOR THAT.

Just to add, my teacher made us a breakdown of the things that have come up under the Natural Hazards section. As per below.

Climatic Hazards:

2011: Climatic hazard in an LEDC: (Explain the natural processes causing the hazard and describe its impact on people in the area.)

2012: An example of a climatic hazard in an MEDC: (Explain the methods used to protect people and property from this climatic hazard and explain how sustainable these methods are.)

2014: Climatic hazard in an MEDC: (Describe the climatic conditions which caused the hazard, and explain the impacts of the hazard on people in the area.)

2015: Climatic hazard in an LEDC: (Describe the methods that were caused to reduce the impact of the climatic hazard and assess how successful these methods were.)

Tectonic Hazard:

2011: Tectonic hazard event in an LEDC: (Describe the effects of the hazard and explain how successful attempts have been to reduce the effects.)

2012: Tectonic hazard even in an MEDC: (Explain the natural processes which caused the tectonic hazard event and describe how people were able to reduce the impact of the hazard.)

2014: Tectonic hazard event in an LEDC: (Describe the impact of this hazard & Suggest why it may be difficult to prepare for this hazard in your chosen area in the future.)

So according to this it would be in an MEDC this year if they follow this pattern.. If anyone is interested I have the breakdown of Pop & Sett as well.

Hope this is of use.
Reply 43
That would be great please!
Original post by 99ah12
That would be great please!

Ahh, alright :smile: Here it goes:

Population and Settlement Case Studies up to 2015:

2011: Population Management Strategies: (Name a country in which management strategies have been used to influence natural population change. Describe the strategies which have been used by the government to influence natural population change. How successful have these strategies been?) Basically the One Child Policy in China.

2011: Changes in Retail Service Provision: (Name and locate an example of changes in retail service provision in an area. Describe the recent changes which have taken place and explain why these changes have occurred.)

2012: An Example of International Migration: (Explain the causes and the consequences of the migration.)

2012: A land use change with an Urban Area: (Describe a land use change and comment on the sustainability of the change.)
-I remember my teacher telling us this threw a lot of people..

2014: Urban Change: (Name the location & describe how the urban area has been changed through development. Explain why this change has happened)

2015: Population Management Strategies in a named country. (See 2011)

Hope this is of use! :biggrin:
@Masterdigdas Thanks so much! So this year, it would be changes in retail service provision??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MovedMasterMike
@Masterdigdas Thanks so much! So this year, it would be changes in retail service provision??

No worries, I feel like it could be that seeing as it has not come up in a while, not 100% sure though. I guess we won't be sure until the exam! :wink:
Original post by Masterdigdas
Ahh, alright :smile: Here it goes:

Population and Settlement Case Studies up to 2015:

2011: Population Management Strategies: (Name a country in which management strategies have been used to influence natural population change. Describe the strategies which have been used by the government to influence natural population change. How successful have these strategies been?) Basically the One Child Policy in China.

2011: Changes in Retail Service Provision: (Name and locate an example of changes in retail service provision in an area. Describe the recent changes which have taken place and explain why these changes have occurred.)

2012: An Example of International Migration: (Explain the causes and the consequences of the migration.)

2012: A land use change with an Urban Area: (Describe a land use change and comment on the sustainability of the change.)
-I remember my teacher telling us this threw a lot of people..

2014: Urban Change: (Name the location & describe how the urban area has been changed through development. Explain why this change has happened)

2015: Population Management Strategies in a named country. (See 2011)

Hope this is of use! :biggrin:

Do you have one for economic dev?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oasis61
Do you have one for economic dev?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I do.

Economic Development Case Studies up to 2014:

2010: Multi-National Companies: (Explain how the MNC affects local people and the overall economy of the country.)

2012: An aid project in an LEDC: (Describe the main features of the aid project and explain how sustainable the project is.)

2013: Economic development and the environment: (Describe how this economic activity has caused environmental damage. How has the conflict between economic development and the environment been managed?)

2014: A Multi-National Company: (Explain why the MNC operates in many countries (Referring to its International Context) and explain how this MNC affects the country you have named.)

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of what came up last year but I hope this helps you anyway. Good luck for tomorrow!
This exam is actually quite enjoyable and usually easy. Definite A*. Does anyone else hate those 1 mark questions that ask what direction the photo is from? I mean, anyone can get it right, it is just a bit of a pain and takes a while...
Original post by FutureDietitian
This exam is actually quite enjoyable and usually easy. Definite A*. Does anyone else hate those 1 mark questions that ask what direction the photo is from? I mean, anyone can get it right, it is just a bit of a pain and takes a while...

Hey I just did a past question on that: how do you do it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FutureDietitian

That's true, once I get into the flow of things I usually remember most things. I got an A* in both mocks so hopefully I can replicate that tomorrow! :biggrin:
Original post by Oasis61
Hey I just did a past question on that: how do you do it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually there will be definitive features such as an arrangement of hills, power stations, farms, buildings etc.(on the map), and you would then look at the picture to see what comes where. it is a bit like those maths questions where you have to see what direction a picture of a 3d shape is from.
Hey, I do.

2010: Multi-National Companies: (Explain how the MNC affects local people and the overall economy of the country.)

2012: An aid project in an LEDC: (Describe the main features of the aid project and explain how sustainable the project is.)

2013: Economic development and the environment: (Describe how this economic activity has caused environmental damage. How has the conflict between economic development and the environment been managed?)

2014: A Multi-National Company: (Explain why the MNC operates in many countries (Referring to its International Context) and explain how this MNC affects the country you have named.)

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of what came up last year but I hope this helps you anyway. Good luck for tomorrow!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
No worries, I feel like it could be that seeing as it has not come up in a while, not 100% sure though. I guess we won't be sure until the exam! :wink:

So is this the bluewater shopping centre (or equivalent) case study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Hey, I do.

Was the sdme for 2015 on economic development?? Maybe that's why you don't have last year's.
Looking at that I reckon it's likely a location of industry case study will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mlb37
Was the sdme for 2015 on economic development?? Maybe that's why you don't have last year's.
Looking at that I reckon it's likely a location of industry case study will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh! That's right, last years SDME was on Economic Development... Mhmmm, yeah it could be location of industry, I hope it is. It's quite simple, I believe.
Does anyone have any tips for revision/learjing case studies etc. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mlb37
So is this the bluewater shopping centre (or equivalent) case study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct.
Original post by Oasis61
Does anyone have any tips for revision/learjing case studies etc. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learn key figures and facts like death toll, magnitude (If an earthquake) etc. Plus try remembering the responses to the disasters as they may ask if the response was sustainable.

What I do is I write the key facts down on a revision card but keep them brief, like one to two sentences max in order for me to remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending