The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

What were the orders of reaction?

thank you so much for posting this :clap2:
Original post by Scarly9
Very nearly it was ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c (ch3)2 (oh)

No because that is a tertiary alcohol which won't turn Acidified Potassium Dichromate green.
Any one doing core 3 tomorrow
Original post by Cadherin
I think it was a nucleophilic addition? The O:- accepts a proton to form a hydroxyl group.

That's what I put aswell!
Original post by K2Cr2O7
For the Lidocaine, did anyone put that it could be dissolved in water so it is able to be injected into a specific area (as it was a local anaesthetic) and that a solid tablet would not focus on a specific area ?

Lidocaine Hydrochloride is soluble in water whereas Lidocaine freebase is an insoluble oil

The HCL can be dissolved in your blood the freebase can not
Reply 766
Well that was f**king brutal
Reply 767
i thought this exam would be hard but doable but no im effed up add that to the fact that chem 5 is coming up only god knows how hard thats going to be
Original post by Boundless_x
Hey everyone, I'm heading to school now and I just wanted to wish everyone GOOD LUCK! Even if there are things you keep forgetting, don't panic, it will come to you once you're in the exam! See you guys after the exam.... :smile:

No amount of luck could help anyone in that exam! I actually want to cry 😰
Original post by Cadherin
I hope so :/

When I say 'wasn't too bad', I mean, compared to the potato in AQA physics last year, not too bad.

ah I see. I found it so bad D:
In all honesty I thought the exam was pretty straight foward. They tried to make it over complicated to f*** people over by adding like 25 benzenes to a question and making some spooky rate calculations and stuff. The last question I got a tertiary alcohol which sucks. Grade boundaries will probabaly be lower since I think it was harder than other papers.
for the very first ph question, I got 1.42?

everyone else is saying around 2 something but from a past paper with a similar question it said '25cm3 sample of 0.0850 HCl' placed in a beaker and 100cm3 water added . The mark scheme wanted you to do 25 +100 = 125 then 125/25 = 5 then 0.0850/5 then log this answer.

and the first question was basically the same as it started with 100cm3 and 50cm3 added so 150/50 = 3 so I divided my answer by 3 and logged it.
I only remembered that because I went over it this morning
did anyone else get 1.42?
Rate equation no longer has propanone in it because it's concentration is now so large it is considered a constant,

I got the last question wrong do you think i will get any marks I got

CH3 O CH2CH2C(CH3)2OH yes it's a tertiary alcohol :frown:
Original post by thomaarrss
**** i got 22/233

I got a number between 8 and 10 but I can't remember what
Got ch3-o-ch2-ch2-coh(ch3)2 same as loads of you

but it's tertiary alcohol so wrong fml
Original post by scienceman
What were the reagents and conditions in the organic synthesis question?

For the conversion of the haloalkane to the nitrile I put KCN dissolved in ethanol.
And for the conversion of the nitrile to the amine I put hydrogen with a nickel catalyst.
Thinks this was the last part of that question 😁
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anno007
Step 3 was KCN reflux in ethanol
LiAl4 in dry ether

Do you think Ni/H+ in ether will be right as well for step 4?
Original post by thomaarrss
this threw me as well

I'm up for complaining, I know that AQA are doing some weird stuff this year because the resort biology paper i did had new spec stuff in it which we had never heard about before, I'm really disappointed!!
My name speaks a thousand words....
Original post by cookiemonster15
That was horrendous. Did anyone else find that the questions were so awkward?

And there was nothing on equilibria, buffers or not many mechanisms either.

I'm so annoyed.

Those were the topics I revised loads as well because they were worth loads of marks on previous past paper. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending