The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Why was iodine not in the rate equation? Is it because it was in excess or because it was not in the rate determining step?
Original post by Joxnna_
nitrogen atom b had more alkyl groups (inductve effect etc) but a had an N-H bond, making that part of the molecule more soluble therefore more likely to react... right?? urgh, worst paper ever

Damn it, I didn't look at it properly. Just went straight into a rote explanation of how the lone pair is delocalised into the benzene ring....The N wasn't even connected to the benzene though was it ;(
is the fragment ion same structure as the electrophile?
Depending on what you got in AS you may have only needed the C boundary at A2 overall to get an A, I would definitely say an A is still possible.

The grade boundaries for an A* in this paper have varied by 8 marks, ranging from 91(I think) to 83, this is quite a lot, the 83 paper was nowhere near as hard as this either. The grade boundaries will move
Guys what did everyone draw for the acetal formation? And why was lidocaine hydrogen chloride better?
Original post by ishabennett
Literally same

Exactly the same
Original post by no-1
Damn it, I didn't look at it properly. Just went straight into a rote explanation of how the lone pair is delocalised into the benzene ring....The N wasn't even connected to the benzene though was it ;(

No, thats right, it was C6H5NH-R, so it would be delocalised. Also, the other nitrogen would have the positive inductive effect from the 3 carbon chains around it
This went absolutely terrible. Potentially ruined my chances of getting a B at A Level Chemistry. The questions were way off spec and were completely different to any other past paper. If chem5 is also like this then I think my chances at getting a good grade at chem will be gone as will my university offer.
Original post by Engineerrookie
And why was lidocaine hydrogen chloride better?

I put because it was soluble but wasnt sure
Original post by NobodyCares
No, thats right, it was C6H5NH-R, so it would be delocalised. Also, the other nitrogen would have the positive inductive effect from the 3 carbon chains around it

You have put my heart at ease, friend. Thank you.
Reply 1370
i understand what you're saying but grade boundaries usually don't drop much because an exam although it may be difficult but it is still doable and a range of marks are usually scored across the board, distinguishing the A* students from grade A students etc. But with this one no doubt aqa are at fault, there were so many aspects of the exam that were just unfair. This exam was like no other

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katied98
I showed all my workings but I didn't get the ether group or final structure right😔 Do you think they'll have marks for showing each group separately?

i suspect you get a mark for every group so dont worry :smile:
Guys if you're just reading the thread silently fuming please comment here, aqa need to hear our voices, we can't stand by silently when aqa exact this injustice

There's every chance aqa read this stuff to find out how people found the exam so let's make sure they get our honest opinion

SHARE YOUR VOICE

BE HEARD

MAKE CHANGE

Be as vocal about this as you want, ranting will help you destress... Or at least it does for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
MADE A FB PAGE, EVERYONE JOIN IT SHARE IT TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT ITS CALLED

AQA CHEM4 2016 COMPLAINTS

Join share and post all the reasons why AQA need to reevaluate this exam and what they should do about it, include hard questions question style, anything
Original post by funky-monkey
guys if you're just reading the thread silently fuming please comment here, aqa need to hear our voices, we can't stand by silently when aqa exact this injustice

there's every chance aqa read this stuff to find out how people found the exam so let's make sure they get our honest opinion

share your voice

be heard

make change

be as vocal about this as you want, ranting will help you destress... Or at least it does for me

posted from tsr mobile

join fb group

aqa chem4 2016 complaints
Original post by ELCRE
I still think we need to make a complaint to aqa even if nothing comes of it they need to know how badly they have messed us up. Someone was saying before theres no point doing that because we ALL had to sit the paper and we all answered the same questions. But the format & wording was completely different to anything we've ever seen before. The final question needed atleast 15 minutes to figure out which is way too much for a 9 marker. Terms used which we are not familiar with but were vital to understand so we could answer the question. TIMING was waay off, it took me 2-3 minutes to answer some of the one markers. There were questions that we spent days going over in class and practising but were replaced by stupid 1 markers about isotopes and percentage by mass. The list goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes timing is an issue! Exam boards to tend to take note of timing so I really hope AQA do. If people could not complete the paper in the set time, then poor marks are not down to a lack of knowledge, but a lack of time to get the answer on paper. I don't think its fair to give students a grade which reflects the layout of the exam.
Reply 1376
Say if the grade boundaries for an A are super low like 70/100 doesn't that mean that there will be a range of 3-4 for every other grade right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got ch3-O-C(ch3)-ch2ch2-oh for the last one
Edit
Ch3-o-c(ch3)2-ch2ch2-oh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ELCRE
Guys would it be silly to make an official complaint to aqa? Some questions were just not fair such as the stitches one. Aqa are really playing with lives, they changed the wording and format of questions for the chem unit 2 paper (chucked in isa & Empa questions as well as one unit 5 question) & I let it go because I thought oh they mustve done it because its a resit paper but they have no excuse for this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this actually going ahead? I understand this might not change anything but I agree they need to know, we did not deserve that.
Original post by mariapops
I got ch3-O-C(ch3)-ch2ch2-oh for the last one

That's right, i'm assuming you mean CH3-O-C(CH3)2-CH2CH2-OH though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending