The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigman97
I'm fairly certain that your against point had to be a criticism of the argument you put forward in favour. So for example my arguments supporting party decline theory were:
1) parties have no coercive control over voting in Congress (2013 GOP shutdown)

BUT 2) argued that following reforms to committees in 1990s that's not so relevant (2012 Boehner purging House + Business Committee

3) Local nature of elections means parties can't control candidates/campaigns (Southern Democrats in 2014 campaigning against Obama)

BUT 4) This isn't such a prevalent argument as mid term elections have been nationalised over national party concerns (2014 focused around Obama/economy).
I think/hope that's what they were looking for

Ah okay fair enough.. I guess I should just move on now and not mess up Thursday too! Thank you xx
Does any one know about the use of statics? I used a lot in the exam that were mostly correct, but have read else where that they show 'lacking knowledge'? I used statics to back up examples, not as examples as such! Wondering if anyone can give opinions on this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Politics AS
Does any one know about the use of statics? I used a lot in the exam that were mostly correct, but have read else where that they show 'lacking knowledge'? I used statics to back up and examples, not as examples as such! Wondering if anyone can give opinions on this?

I'm sure statistics still count and gain because, say if there was a question on what types of voters vote for certain parties - most of the examples would be stats.
I wouldn't worry too much about it!
Reply 383
Does anybody have any informed predictions for 4C? Thanks
Just clarifying, in an assess question eg over the 15 marker over party decline. You definitely do two sides to the argument..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I messed up on the 15 marker on affirmative action, I didn't realise assess meant 2 sides...I did 3 reasons why they are declining and in my conclusion I said they can be seen to in renewal due to fundraising, control over political agenda etc...is this wrong or right?:frown: what mark do you think I can get. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any 4c practice questions for me please? On any of the topics. 15 and 45 markers. Thanks.
Reply 387
hey guys does anyone have any 15 marker predictions? I managed to get all my 15 markers well developed however my 45 was not developed as much as i would have like it to be and ran out of time :/ whats done is done so onward and upwards!
Any predictions for 4c? Lets move on guys and hope for the best! ❤️
Is dual-presidency talking about whether the President is 'strong at home but weak abroad?' So focusing on foreign policy?
Original post by 14grahamr
Is dual-presidency talking about whether the President is 'strong at home but weak abroad?' So focusing on foreign policy?

The Dual Presidency Theory is based on the principle that there are two versions of the American President: one who is concerned with domestic policy and one concerned with foreign policy (according to google)
Pato got any ideas on what could come up? Your predictions were great for 3C! :smile:
Does anyone have predictions for 4C on congress/constitution/Supreme Court?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can things like constitutional rights, separation of powers, federalism being eroded as a constitutional principle etc ever come up as a 45 marker? Because it looks like they have only ever come up as 15, and 45's are like strengths and weaknesses??
Original post by nta786
1 paragraph on revolving door and 1 paragraph on iron triangles and i didnt have enough time to write a third point- would've probably been about how money effects things but no time lol :/

I did exactly the same! Did those two points but ran out of time for a third
Original post by Ringles
Just clarifying, in an assess question eg over the 15 marker over party decline. You definitely do two sides to the argument..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you do!
Unit 4 predictions anyone?
Original post by second1234
Unit 4 predictions anyone?

It seems very unlikely there will be a Supreme Court 45 so that'll mean there'll be possibly a couple of 15s?
My teacher also said there might be two 15s on president
No idea which though
In terms of Congress 45s a question about whether congress are more concerned with local or national/international issues hasn't come up since 2010 (I think) so it might be a congress 45 marker related to constituents? No idea though - not reliable predictions haha
Perhaps

45:
1. Something to do with the power of the president seeing as its Obama's lame duck period
2. Congress, please dear Lord may there be a Congress 45 Marker. If there is one, it'll probably be on the efficiency of Congress considering the Republicans have blocked almost everything Obama has tried to pass.
3. Constitution or Supreme court and lets be honest you'd be brave to attempt those ones.

15 markers are harder to predict, but last year there were 2 Congress and 2 Constitution + 1 president so:

1. President
2. Supreme Court
3. Supreme Court
4. Congress
5. Constitution

^ that's why I hope for. As for the Questions, haven't a clue. Unit 4 is just a shambles and is so boring compared to unit 3, the questions are worded a lot harder as well.
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Okay so today my teacher gave us 8 15 markers that she thinks are likely to come up but probably worded differently:

Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the electoral college
To what extent are caucuses an appropriate means of selecting candidates?
Which groups of voters are likely to support the democratic party and why?
Explain the issues that have created the deepest divisions between the two major parties since 2008
Explain the meaning of the term 'iron triangles' and assess their significance
How and why do pressure groups attempt to influence the senate?
Why is immigration reform by the Obama administration viewed as a failure?
What is affirmative action, and what are the justifications for it?

Obviously these aren't guaranteed but it may help? :smile:

Good guessing! Any predictions for the next one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending