The Student Room Group

Regression line f on h

Hi I need a little clarification ive been working on the assumption that when asked for the regression line of y on x in that order b = Sxy/Sxx in otherwords 3 of the right variable and 1 of the
left variable and y = a + bx, however the book gives this question:

Give the regression line of f on h.

Going by the above model this would give b as b = Shf/Shh as y = f and x = h ive just been substituting the variables based on their order and this seemed to work, but the book gives this b = Shf/Sff, and h = a + bf, so this has now completely thrown me off, is this an error in the book, should it have been h on f? Or am I just completely wrong and i have to interpret from context which is the dependent and independent variable?

Thanks for the help in advance.
On this type of question, get your formula sheet and just replace the 'y on x' bit with 'f on h'
Then all ys are fs and xs are hs
Reply 2
As I mentioned this is essentially the assumption I was working on, but the example in the book did things in reverse, which threw me off, im wondering if its the book at fault in this instance and it shoukd have put:

Give the regression line of h on f, not f on h.

Thanks for the fast reply though.
Original post by WanderSotC
As I mentioned this is essentially the assumption I was working on, but the example in the book did things in reverse, which threw me off, im wondering if its the book at fault in this instance and it shoukd have put:

Give the regression line of h on f, not f on h.

Thanks for the fast reply though.

Got it - the one about eggs?
The question in the example is wrong - the working is right for h on f
Reply 4
Yes your correct the question has to do with supplements and egg hardness, thank you very much for clarifying its a relief i was going mad for a while there :smile:
Original post by WanderSotC
Yes your correct the question has to do with supplements and egg hardness, thank you very much for clarifying its a relief i was going mad for a while there :smile:

No problem.
Good luck tomorrow - you seem to know your stuff, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest