The Student Room Group

How to work when depression is pulling you down?

For me, it began at the beginning sixth form (-ish). I have no motivation to do well in any of my subjects anymore (Psychology is particularly suffering). I had mocks last week which I really struggled to revise for, and completely messed up. There are two more this next week, but after the last few my mood has become worse- and my motivation's disappeared with it.

I'm not coping anymore.

I'm surprised at the amount of other people I've found that have similar problems though (be it depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc.), so was wondering if anyone on here is experiencing anything like this too.

I've made this thread so others who also need to talk about issues like my own (or not!) can do so, and be supported :smile: Hope everyone is okay and doing well.
I'm in year 13 and I pulled out of the majority of my exams this summer due to my mental health starting to go downhill. The way I see it, your health comes first.

Talk to somebody about it, and come to a solution, but always put yourself first.

I'm finishing my exams next exam season.
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with depression! I was the same in sixth form, feeling depressed and unmotivated (due to various factors), and I struggled to revise, especially for A2. I lost so much of my motivation, that I was trying to revise in the days just before my exams (sometimes starting revision in the mornings of the exams themselves), even for my best subject. I KNOW I should've started earlier, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

After leaving the majority of my revision until around a week before my first exam, I finally decided I needed to start doing something about my lack of motivation. So, I decided to make a revision timetable! I counted up the days I had until each exam, and made a timetable based on the number of days. I allocated topics to days, rather than times, for example on Monday, revise topics a b c d and e for subject 1, along with topics a b and c for subject 2, and so on. I did it that way so that I didn't have to stress myself out further by trying to stick to specific times. Maybe that's something you could try?

I hope you find something which works for you soon! Best of luck! :hugs:
Original post by A-LJLB
I'm in year 13 and I pulled out of the majority of my exams this summer due to my mental health starting to go downhill. The way I see it, your health comes first.

Talk to somebody about it, and come to a solution, but always put yourself first.

I'm finishing my exams next exam season.

I agree, health must always be put first :smile: Thank you, hope you're doing okay (or at least, a bit better and improving) too x
Original post by redherring321
I agree, health must always be put first :smile: Thank you, hope you're doing okay (or at least, a bit better and improving) too x

I'm doing really well at the moment, thank you! I really hope things improve for you sweet, good luck x
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with depression! I was the same in sixth form, feeling depressed and unmotivated (due to various factors), and I struggled to revise, especially for A2. I lost so much of my motivation, that I was trying to revise in the days just before my exams (sometimes starting revision in the mornings of the exams themselves), even for my best subject. I KNOW I should've started earlier, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

After leaving the majority of my revision until around a week before my first exam, I finally decided I needed to start doing something about my lack of motivation. So, I decided to make a revision timetable! I counted up the days I had until each exam, and made a timetable based on the number of days. I allocated topics to days, rather than times, for example on Monday, revise topics a b c d and e for subject 1, along with topics a b and c for subject 2, and so on. I did it that way so that I didn't have to stress myself out further by trying to stick to specific times. Maybe that's something you could try?

I hope you find something which works for you soon! Best of luck! :hugs:

That's literally me right now :frown: I'll have a go with the timetable though; they told us to do it at one point but I never got around to it...

Thank you- and hope you're feeling/getting better now (?) x
Original post by redherring321
That's literally me right now :frown: I'll have a go with the timetable though; they told us to do it at one point but I never got around to it...

Thank you- and hope you're feeling/getting better now (?) x

You're definitely not alone in how you feel! It's great that you're going to try the timetable, it might help! Making a timetable helped me to focus and also helped me feel like I was actually making progress :smile:

I am feeling much better now, thank you. I started taking antidepressants last year, and I do believe that they have helped to lift my mood. I still have times where I start being negative again and enter 'periods of s*********' as my best friend calls them. But I am much better at getting out of these periods now, and I try to be positive as much as I can, even though it's hard sometimes!

I hope you start to feel positive again soon! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest