The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephenb1608
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.

Gotta be honest, discussing the EU ref online (predominantly younger peeps) is enough to give one a headache if my constitution was any weaker.
Mainly due to the lack of valid discussion. Plenty of insults. Plenty of parroted propaganda from the Remain campaign.

The complete lack of irony acting in such a closed-minded manner while slinging lazy accusations as the Leave campaign as foreigner hating skinheads is impressive/concerning.

As you say, very little critical thinking.

They're no better than the racist little Englander pensioners they claim to hate.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Better add Betelgeuse to the suicide watch list too :rofl:

Defo.. Got my knights armour , my union jack lance, red and white face paint and loaned a horse to ride on like a knight for LEAVE

Contingency plan of a bottle of bleach and union jack speedos if REMAIN

Pray for betelgeuse
Original post by XcitingStuart
Yet you think "nationalistic rubbish, fear and speculation" is mostly representative?

Pot calling the kettle black?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean I've done a lot of research into both arguments and almost every leave supporting resources is heavily based on fear and nationalism rather than substantive argument.
[video="youtube;vTCIwo3cEvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCIwo3cEvU[/video]
Original post by JamesN88
Yeah it's for energy efficiency to help tackle climate change and quality control for food, neither of which are a problem IMO.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/comply-with-marketing-standards-for-fresh-fruit-and-vegetables#the-specific-marketing-standard

Doesn't really tackle climate change though if you have to have them turned on for longer in order to get the same result.
Original post by JoePFR
I mean I've done a lot of research into both arguments and almost every leave supporting resources is heavily based on fear and nationalism rather than substantive argument.

After my exam today I'll present my case, and if you have already voted by then, prepare to feel [slightly] guilty. :wink:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The leave campaign can predict the future as well as the remain campaign. Care to tell me who the EU president will be in 10 years? Care to tell me which countries will have joined? Care to tell me what will happen with the eurozone? With Greece? With Italy? Will we join the Euro? Will we have an EU army? With the refugee crisis?...

I could go on and on. Please tell me

...Well, the European Council's agenda for the next few years is far more predictive than the Leave campaign, that's for sure. It'll give you an outline of goals - accomplishable goals (or at least we hope they'll be accomplishable, but they have international support at least). The Leave campaign do not have this, as many of their predictions, such as 'Britain will be able to trade more with the rest of the world if we leave', have been debunked by... the rest of the world!

I honestly do not comprehend how you can carry on believing Farage, Gove and Johnson over all this, when the majority of economists, business leaders and non-British politicians of the countries we would want to trade with have said that leaving the EU is not a good idea. Yes, a few have spoken in favour of Brexit, but the majority have not. Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin are also in favour of Brexit. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. The EU has its faults but leaving it would be the equivalent of pulling a tantrum.

For heaven's sake, each time that Brexit gets ahead in the polls, the value of the pound falls. Shouldn't that tell you enough about it?

At this point, I cannot tell if the majority of the Leave campaign are trolls or just so easily flattered by nationalists that they're willing to sign our country away just so that they can regain the illusion of 'more' sovereignty over our country.
Original post by Hirondelle127
Considering the fact the Leave campaign only seems to be able to spout out half-truths and can't make any definite promises for Britain's future, wouldn't you say the leave campaign is the naive, idealistic side of this discussion?

The idealistic ones are those who believe any promise about Britain's future. If the remain camp makes statements and promises they are all just as much speculation as any the leave camp makes.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The reality is that young people tend to be less racist. So they are less worried about immigration which is the most important factor in the debate.

The disadvantages of uncontrolled immigration immigration are nothing to do with race.
Original post by DorianGrayism

Arguing to leave the EU to join the EEA makes absolutely no sense.

Why do you think we would necessarily join the EEA? We import far more from the EU than we export, and the proportion of such trade as a whole is falling. Britain is well placed for other markets.. A simple strategy of asking for free trade and then mirroring whatever tariffs other countries impose on us would be fine.

The German politicians huff and puff in advance of the vote but German industrialists have a lot more sense: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

For heaven's sake, each time that Brexit gets ahead in the polls, the value of the pound falls. Shouldn't that tell you enough about it?

Just saying, the pounds value falling is actually not all that bad. Since we currently have a balance of payments deficit, a fall is actually kind of a good thing.
Yeah it's for energy efficiency to help tackle climate change and quality control for food, neither of which are a problem IMO.

Unfortunately it leads to two things (as the most effective cleaners were, obviously, high-powered ones: (a) people hang on to their better cleaners for longer as they cannot replace them with anything as effective, and (b) people have to spend longer cleaning, in order to get the job done properly. Both of these lead to greater energy use or wasted time.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its your future tomorrow people.. its you who if facing unskilled or lower salaried work will be shafted.. its you who wants the security to own or a rent a house that will be shafted..a slave to the wealthy landlords, its you who will feel the biggest effects of the EU as they grow and seize more power, more integration.

Do not say you were not warned or did not understand the ramifications of your vote. Do not complain about rents or house prices... NO GOVERNMENT will build you enough homes to match our growing population and immigration demands... It keeps GDP high and politicians popular with a fancy set of figures...No government will change it to meet 350k a year net migration. You cannot say you were not warned

Choose wisely

Very sage advice. There is no way in the world that Britain can build enough accommodation for the current and projected rate of immigration. The losers will be the very people who idealistically welcome freedom of movement - the young.

Their quality of life will fall through greater population and traffic density and the strain on education and health infrastructure. They will be doomed to house-shares for many, many years through inability to pay rents or find deposits.

The main beneficiaries of uncontrolled migration are the companies who gain access to a bigger pool of cheap labour and who have less incentive to properly train the younger generation of workers. Why should they when they can tap in to pools of talent from elsewhere instead of paying for training?

GDP will rise but there will be no tangible benefits.

We should be looking to increase the value of our existing pool of workers and grow the economy in that way, not just make it superficially bigger while importing people and using up land in a fruitless attempt to accommodate them .
...Well, the European Council's agenda for the next few years is far more predictive than the Leave campaign, that's for sure. It'll give you an outline of goals - accomplishable goals (or at least we hope they'll be accomplishable, but they have international support at least). .

Presumably then, the Blair government failed to take proper account of the council's predictive agenda when it so woefully under-predicted immigration from EU countries, and the accession of Turkey, which the council has just accelerated, is something we should be factoring in, contrary to to denials of the remain camp and the PM?
Original post by XcitingStuart
concern for immigration =/= racist

Yes, it can be for racist reasons, but it's not a necessity.

(Just in case you hold that sentiment.)

Remind me to get back to this.

Why?

(In case you hold this sentiment) Boris Johnson isn't all there is to the leave campaign and the leave camp, and their arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is everyone so touchy in this thread lol I literally asked if anyone had seen the video, I didn't even say what side I was on or what I thought
Original post by 09craige
Doesn't really tackle climate change though if you have to have them turned on for longer in order to get the same result.

Original post by Good bloke
Unfortunately it leads to two things (as the most effective cleaners were, obviously, high-powered ones: (a) people hang on to their better cleaners for longer as they cannot replace them with anything as effective, and (b) people have to spend longer cleaning, in order to get the job done properly. Both of these lead to greater energy use or wasted time.

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker either way, tbh I've got wood and laminate floors so I don't really give af.:smile:

The main point of the posts was debunking the banana ban myth highlighted by someone who was telling other people to educate themselves about facts.:rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker either way, tbh I've got wood and laminate floors so I don't really give af.:smile:

So your personal current situation blinds you to your likely future needs and the overall situation? Your commitment to reducing or averting catastrophic climate change is less than whole-hearted. I hope you remember this exchange in forty years.

The main point of the posts was debunking the banana ban myth highlighted by someone who was telling other people to educate themselves about facts.:rolleyes:

Just because you don't choose to hoover your home, other people do. Also, what about hoovering out cars for example.
They didn't actually ban bananas but they did try to class bananas by their curvature and we're trying to prevent malformed bananas being sold. These are not the only things people should educate themselves on, they should be aware of economic indicators including our budget deficit that is way more important than this trivial matter about bananas.
Original post by Good bloke
So your personal current situation blinds you to your likely future needs and the overall situation? Your commitment to reducing or averting catastrophic climate change is less than whole-hearted. I hope you remember this exchange in forty years.

No I'm not blind to the bigger picture but hoovering is not something I think very much about.

I'd argue for more large scale measures like the mass use of solar panels before I worried about little things like that.

I'd argue for more large scale measures like the mass use of solar panels before I worried about little things like that.

You think fields full of solar panels is a good way forward for Britain?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending