The Student Room Group

Best Economics books for self study?

Title
You should get a book endorsed by the examination board you are planning to use. The problems are more likely to be on how to apply the content on answers, you would need someone to help you with exam technique and how to develop answers. You should also check the specification to make sure you are covering relevant topics, that is if you are using a generic textbook that covers more than 1 examination board.
When studying for the Cambridge 'A' Level, I used Economics by John Sloman and Alison Wride. It is a fantastically thorough book, and regardless of which board you're sitting for, you'll find it useful! The book is also great for IB students and undergraduates. It is available online in a PDF (probably got leaked), so you can check it out for free.

Another book I used was Cambridge International AS and A Level Economics by Colin Bamford and Susan Grant. Although this book is geared towards Cambridge students, some topics are explained in great detail, such as the Keynesian theories. This is also available online for free.

Some more tips for self-study would be to use online resources, such as YouTube and Khan Academy. You'll find great videos on Khan Academy about almost anything!

I would recommend more books for you, but it would help if you mentioned which exam you're sitting for! I hope I could help, though.

Best of luck! Cheers.
Original post by Glib
Title

What exam board?
I personally recommend Das Kapital and The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.
Reply 5
Original post by OrionMusicNet
What exam board?

Edexcel B
Yeah, the John Sloman book would be better suited for that. In fact, it's so detailed, it might be the only book you need! I hope I could help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by skyla0607
When studying for the Cambridge 'A' Level, I used Economics by John Sloman and Alison Wride. It is a fantastically thorough book, and regardless of which board you're sitting for, you'll find it useful! The book is also great for IB students and undergraduates. It is available online in a PDF (probably got leaked), so you can check it out for free.

Another book I used was Cambridge International AS and A Level Economics by Colin Bamford and Susan Grant. Although this book is geared towards Cambridge students, some topics are explained in great detail, such as the Keynesian theories. This is also available online for free.

Some more tips for self-study would be to use online resources, such as YouTube and Khan Academy. You'll find great videos on Khan Academy about almost anything!

I would recommend more books for you, but it would help if you mentioned which exam you're sitting for! I hope I could help, though.

Best of luck! Cheers.

Hi can you message me a link to the free version of Sloman...Ive been looking for a while but can't find a copy of any edition.*
Reply 10
Original post by skyla0607

Best of luck! Cheers.

Hi could you pls send me the link for the Cambridge International AS and A Level Economics by Colin Bamford and Susan Grant
Thank you!!
Reply 11
Hey how did you use both the books to study. I am currently studying CIE Alevels economics. And my exam is on may so could really use some advice. Thanks in advance. X
Visit the blog (www.bm3school.com) that provides business and economics notes for business students.

Happy Studying!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest