The Student Room Group

best exam board to self study a levels

i just self-studied igcses in around 4 - 6 months and i’m planning on doing a bunch of a levels in probably 2 - 4 years. i’m not sure what exam board is the best to use for each subject.

i’m looking for an exam board with the most resources available and a very in depth text book and a very specific syllabus. also preferably more difficult application questions where a lot of thinking is needed as that’s where i’m stronger.

for math i’m just looking for the most difficult one with low thresholds.

i’m considering a bunch of subjects (probably not doing all):
- philosophy
- psychology (i did edexcel gcse psychology)
- sociology
- further math
- computer science
- physics
- chemistry
- biology
- economics

if anyone can give some advice on any one of these subjects it would be super useful.
Reply 1
Original post by jffksdfhf
i just self-studied igcses in around 4 - 6 months and i’m planning on doing a bunch of a levels in probably 2 - 4 years. i’m not sure what exam board is the best to use for each subject.

i’m looking for an exam board with the most resources available and a very in depth text book and a very specific syllabus. also preferably more difficult application questions where a lot of thinking is needed as that’s where i’m stronger.

- philosophy
- sociology
- further math
- computer science
- physics
- chemistry
- biology
- economics

if anyone can give some advice on any one of these subjects it would be super useful.

hey, i think for biology and psychology AQA would be a good suggestion. there are many resources and notes online to help you with your studies
let me know what you end up picking :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jffksdfhf

- philosophy
- sociology
- further math
- computer science
- physics
- chemistry
- biology
- economics

For maths, by far the most taken exam board is Edexcel, so that would have the most resources, but I think OCR MEI is harder. Same for further maths (I assume you're talking about UK A levels and not international A levels)

Other than that, I'd just say go and look at how many people took which exam boards in 2019 for whatever subjects you want to take, as that should give you an idea as to which exam board will have the most resources

Also, you need to take into consideration what A levels have coursework or require practical endorsements, as it can be really expensive and just all round annoying to do them as a private candidate - on your list I'm thinking particularly about computer science, chemistry, biology and physics

Quick Reply

Latest