The Student Room Group

Belly piercing... Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myblueheaven339
I'm not trying to make anyone feel like a baby. Personally I think that if you're worried that people will see you as "trashy" because of a piercing then that demonstrates either a lack of maturity of some kind of insecurity. Seeking validation from others, especially strangers on the internet further backs up my point.

If the OP wants a belly button piercing and is sure that they can properly tend to it afterwards to prevent rejection/infection etc then that is all they need to know about whether or not they should get one. Someone else labelling you as one thing or the other shouldn't matter as it says more about them than you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well by saying it shows a lack of maturity you are trying to make someone feel like a baby. People often want to do things but won't because of societal perceptions, there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Well by saying it shows a lack of maturity you are trying to make someone feel like a baby. People often want to do things but won't because of societal perceptions, there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I'm not trying to make anyone feel anything. You are the person that keeps suggesting that they feel like a baby, I never did. Taking care of a healing piercing takes maturity and a level of understanding of wound care. I would hope that anyone that was getting a piercing could express said level of maturity/understanding. I happen to think that there is something fundamentally wrong with feeling like you cannot express yourself due to societal perceptions and would hope that instead of pandering to them that people should challenge them and live their lives however they choose regardless of those perceptions. What other people think should not stop you from doing something that you want to do (obvious exceptions excluded).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really like them! Been thinking of getting one for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I really like them! Been thinking of getting one for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:nooo:

Spoiler

YAY! I really want one, they're prettyy. :biggrin:
I have one which I got for my seventeenth birthday- my parents were fine with it and went with me to get it done. To be honest, no-one knows but my family because I don't showcase it very often (obviously TSR members will know now). I don't think anyone would expect me to go for that type of piercing but honestly, I got it for myself & because I thought it looked good. If you really want it, then go for it- painwise, it's just a small pinch and then it's over. It's worth it!

Ignore the stigma associated with this type of piercing because it's honestly all nonsense.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 66
Thank you for the replies everyone. I just got it done today and I love it! :biggrin:
Original post by drowzee
Thank you for the replies everyone. I just got it done today and I love it! :biggrin:

Exciting times :smile: There's a really good forum on bodyjewelleryshop.com should you need any advice about healing/aftercare :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
If you're that worried about what other people think maybe you're not mature enough to have a piercing?

I guess, it is okay to get opinions before get a piercing. Sometimes there are good advices. At the end it is a decision of your own anyway.
Original post by drowzee

Wooooooooo :party:
Original post by drowzee

You are welcome. The main point is that you are satisfied with your decision you made. And it does not seem that you regret it.
Original post by drowzee
I've been thinking of getting one... Now I'm having doubts. I think they look nice, but they can look trashy at times. What are your thoughts?

I like the providing you are not fat it's hot I also like nose rings but not septum.
I think it looks great only on a gorgeous belly.
I got my belly button pierced and it looked really bad for 2 weeks while it was reeeally healing. It left mine in for 6 months before changing it just to make sure it didn’t get infected. I think out of all my piercings (cartilage, lobe, nipples, belly button) and tattoos, my belly button was the easiest because it’s just skin. There are no major vessels/ducts/cartilage to break through, which makes it much easier to heal as long as you do what the piercer reccommends. It doesn’t look trashy unless you are showing it off at times that are inappropriate. In a bikini? Fine. At a business meeting? Hide. Going out to the bars? Fine. Going to dinner with the boyfriends parents? Hide.

Hope this helps but get it done for yourself! My bf hated the idea and begged me not to do it. I did it anyway because it’s what I wanted for myself. As soon as I showed him he switch on a dime. He was so into it he even apologized for being mistaken thinking it was too trashy for me. He loved it and so did his mom when we went boating with his family. It’s so mainstream now it’s normal.

Quick Reply

Latest