The Student Room Group

Navel piercing not healing???

So I had my piercing done in November 2016. So it is about 5-6 months. I've been cleaning it every day, twice a day with a sea salt solution, I haven the been playing with it, and I haven't worn tight or high waisted clothing. However, regardless of this it doesn't seem to be healing...

This might be a bit TMI, but basically the top hole of my piercing looks perfect, I get a tiny crusty every few weeks but nothing much. And then there's my bottom hole - this keeps bleeding, having crusties to the point where the bottom ball gets stuck to my skin etc. I've been to see my piercer, and he said it's not infected and just to keep cleaning it the way I do - that was in January, and still nothing has helped! The skin around the bottom hole is red and slightly raised, so it really doesn't seem to be healing. What shall I do? I really don't want to have to take it out, because I love it, it's just being a bit of a pain right now..

Scroll to see replies

Is this your ear lobe? I had a similar issue where my ear lobe would bleed in one ear and not the other and it wasn't infected, despite me cleaning it..
Reply 2
Original post by Rhythmical
Is this your ear lobe? I had a similar issue where my ear lobe would bleed in one ear and not the other and it wasn't infected, despite me cleaning it..

Sorry I didn't not think I clarified! It's my belly button that I have a piercing in!
Original post by danuuutka
So I had my piercing done in November 2016. So it is about 5-6 months. I've been cleaning it every day, twice a day with a sea salt solution, I haven the been playing with it, and I haven't worn tight or high waisted clothing. However, regardless of this it doesn't seem to be healing...

This might be a bit TMI, but basically the top hole of my piercing looks perfect, I get a tiny crusty every few weeks but nothing much. And then there's my bottom hole - this keeps bleeding, having crusties to the point where the bottom ball gets stuck to my skin etc. I've been to see my piercer, and he said it's not infected and just to keep cleaning it the way I do - that was in January, and still nothing has helped! The skin around the bottom hole is red and slightly raised, so it really doesn't seem to be healing. What shall I do? I really don't want to have to take it out, because I love it, it's just being a bit of a pain right now..

I would go back to your piercer again. Try cleaning it with just warm water for a while as well, because the salt will be drying it out by this point. If the piercer doesn't think it's infected, ask them to replace the bar for a longer one at least. I'd also consider asking for a titanium one, just in case you're sensitive to the metal they used. I had a steel ear plug in for years and it never healed right, was always sore and gross, and put a silicone one in the other week and it's absolutely fine now. I thought I'd be okay with steel even though I usually can't wear it because of a nickel allergy because it never got infected of anything like it had in the past, but I was wrong. If the ball at the end is getting stuck to your skin, it sounds like it's a bit on the short side and that will irritate it as well
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I would go back to your piercer again. Try cleaning it with just warm water for a while as well, because the salt will be drying it out by this point. If the piercer doesn't think it's infected, ask them to replace the bar for a longer one at least. I'd also consider asking for a titanium one, just in case you're sensitive to the metal they used. I had a steel ear plug in for years and it never healed right, was always sore and gross, and put a silicone one in the other week and it's absolutely fine now. I thought I'd be okay with steel even though I usually can't wear it because of a nickel allergy because it never got infected of anything like it had in the past, but I was wrong. If the ball at the end is getting stuck to your skin, it sounds like it's a bit on the short side and that will irritate it as well

Thanks for the advice! The bar I have in currently is super long, and as I do regular exercise and I'm sat down a lot because of studying, I think that's why the ball keeps getting stuck, because the top ball sticks out of my skin soooo much!
Original post by danuuutka
Thanks for the advice! The bar I have in currently is super long, and as I do regular exercise and I'm sat down a lot because of studying, I think that's why the ball keeps getting stuck, because the top ball sticks out of my skin soooo much!

Ah, it could be that it's too long then and is getting pulled around a bit and getting quite irritated, especially with exercise
Mine was the same for the first year of having it but I just kept it in and all was good. I only changed it after a year of having it done. If you shower everyday it should be enough to clean it but otherwise I'd just stick to once a day cleaning. Over cleaning irritates it too. Mine got worse because of touching it all the time so try not to do that like
I have exactly the same problem and I don't know what to do about it, please tell me if yours got better or not because I'm paranoid af about this but I don't wanna get rid of it cos it makes my tub look pretty but it stings all the time n I keep on getting paranoid it's a rejection but it's not because it literally is exactly what you've explained
Reply 8
How can I stop mine from doing the same
Reply 9
Same with my piercing, although the top hole on mine is slightly big and the bottom one is quite painful when I wear tight or high waisted jeans. I’ve had it about a year or so and I’ve cleaned it and cleaned it to the pound I can’t be bothered as nothings healing it x
I have the same issue, it's been 13 months since I got my navel piercing at first it was good then with time i realised it had moved and it has never healed till todate. Tried cleaning, buying a spray online. But all my efforts nothing works and I haven't changed it since I got it done . What could be the reason. It releases puss every day. Any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Same idk what to do but I have red like tissue?flesh on the bottom of my bar
I had the same problem. I changed my bar out for a shorter bar and the red fleshy thing hasn’t came back
I have a red blood like fleshy thing as well
A mix drop of Tea tree oil with some saline solution and apply it gently to the red tissue with a q tip once a day! It does wonders. The red protruding tissue will be gone In a week or so depending on how bad it is. You will notice it go down in a few days though. Make sure to dilute the tea tree oil if it is concentrated and test it on your arm first to make sure you don’t have an allergy. But this works for me every time.
Hi. I just got mine and was wondering if you had an issue where it didnt look completely straight. I have a plain titanium bar. If so, how long until it looks straight?
How did you change it?
Original post by Moooooo66666
I had the same problem. I changed my bar out for a shorter bar and the red fleshy thing hasn’t came back

How did you change it?
so what did you end up doing because mine is doing the same thing and its been about 5 months. not too sure if I should take it out or not.
Reply 19
I have this problem. After a lengthy discussion with my piercer about the possibility of my belly button not healing correctly due to the shape of my navel, I decided to get pierced anyway. It has been 7 months and the bottom is struggling to heal, with some crusties, a little puss daily and sometimes blood. Ask your piercer if the shape of your belly button could be affecting the healing process at all. If they are knowledgeable they can tell you about how different anatomies support, or don't support, a piercing.

Quick Reply

Latest