The Student Room Group

How much money do you have saved for uni?

With just over two months to go, many of us will find ourselves saying heartfelt 'see you soon's and 'I'll miss you's as we look forward to hopping onto the next stepping stone of life: university!

Now that grants have been scrapped, there may be more/less pressure for people to save up. Some are thinking of going to uni being solely reliant on their student loans, while others are planning to bring their own money in, or receive help from family and friends.

How much have you saved up for uni, then? :innocent: And what did you do to get the money i.e. did you work, get it for your birthday etc etc, you know the drill. Do you feel like you're prepared? Do you have plans to work while you're there? Feel free to contribute :fyi:

I'd so love that to be me right now.

Scroll to see replies

Got 4.2k but plan to live of student loans and working.

Got savings via working at a supermarket
Reply 2
A grand total of £0

However I'm getting the maximum loan (going UCL so I get the extra London money), plus £2k from UCL directly and mums gonna help out with about £100 for food and extra bits and pieces so I should just have enough
£3000 from frying nuggets at McDonalds after years of slavery and bullying by so called head of sections who fancy themselves in leadership positions.
Original post by niteninja1
Got 4.2k but plan to live of student loans and working.

Got savings via working at a supermarket

how old are you btw?
Original post by justdateriguy
how old are you btw?

Original post by rxns_00
A grand total of £0

However I'm getting the maximum loan (going UCL so I get the extra London money), plus £2k from UCL directly and mums gonna help out with about £100 for food and extra bits and pieces so I should just have enough

Getting a waitressing job in London will be relatively easy if you're interested, and it's flexible so whenever you need a bit of money on the side you could just fall back on it. :h:
Reply 7
Around 1k, hopefully that'll be enough :biggrin:
Is everyone planning on getting a part-time job during first year???
Original post by goam
Around 1k, hopefully that'll be enough :biggrin:
Is everyone planning on getting a part-time job during first year???

I bought and sold shoes during my first year which is kinda of a part time job i guess lool
Reply 9
Original post by justdateriguy
I bought and sold shoes during my first year which is kinda of a part time job i guess lool

ahahaa that's pretty smart actually I'm impressed, good entrepreneurial skills :borat:
Don't start uni till September 2017 but I have already started to save up, so far I have around £50 in my uni jar
Nothing at the moment but will be working about 40hrs a week in the summer which will be about £250 a week:smile: still owe my boyfriend £200 for our holiday though and I'm going to Amsterdam in September with a friend so we need to pay for that. I get the maximum loan though but my parents can't afford to help me out, I should be fine. Not going to get a job at uni because I've worked pretty much every weekend since I was 15 and I'll come back to the cafe at Christmas etc, hopefully I will have at least £500 saved up for nights out and stuff but I should be good for food and my loan covers accommodation
Reply 12
Nah I had more than enough to live off last year from student finance
I have about 500 saved and I currently work 60 hour weeks over summer
"How much money do you have saved for uni?"
nun.jpg
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Getting a waitressing job in London will be relatively easy if you're interested, and it's flexible so whenever you need a bit of money on the side you could just fall back on it. :h:

See I was thinking about continuing tutoring as a job! I currently tutor for £12 an hour here in Bham, so surely in London I could charge more. And it'd only be a few hours a week, I'm just not sure what the demand for tutors is like down there
Reply 16
ATM i have around £2,000 from weekend working I wont be going uni until next year September 2017 so if i dont loose my job i will have around 4 grand and my boss and family want me to stay close to work if i do that i can work and just save my student loan but that will mean i will have to stay at home and not live in uni halls I might miss out on a lot ? and i have a very rude annoying sibling whom I cant really stand so and I am getting old I dont know what to do I am already very introverted only have a few friends Whom i see at college. I could stay at home which will result in me making no friends but I can use the student finance loan for house deposit .
Nothing really saved, but currently working full time, and will still be working part time when I start uni so I'll have enough money to get by on. Besides I'm living at home because it's my second time at university and I am really not keen on living in halls when I can commute.
I'll have 5K by the time I start but I doubt I'll spend any of it cause I'm getting the max maintenance loan and I don't need much to be satisfied.
This money has been saved up from my past time Saturday job :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I failed my third year f uni and decided to work for a year, saved up around this £30,000 and since the job pays so good i'm stuck in whether to continue with the job or stop to finish of my uni degree :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending