The Student Room Group

The Budgeting Spreadsheet and Tips thread

Budgeting is something a lot of people have never done before uni, and also that a lot of people struggle with. There's different ways of doing it and different levels of detail but any is better than none- you don't want to be living off baked beans for any longer than you have to at the end of term! At the bottom of this post are two downloadable spreadsheets that can be used as a starting point. It's up to you if or how you use them, they could be worth a look for ideas of what you need to be paying for though.

The main thing to remember is to plan ahead. Think about what you need to be spending and what might be happening later in the term- is anyone's birthday coming up? Christmas? Do you have some left over for an emergency? Your loan may seem like a lot but when you start thinking about what you need to buy it's really not! However tempting it may be to spend it all at once, it's rarely going to be a good idea.

After this, think about things that could save you money. Would a bus pass be worth buying, and if you had one would you use it enough to save money? Could you get free prescriptions by filling in a HC1 form? Do you have an NUS or other student card? The Money Saving Expert is a great place to start for things like this, there should be advice at your uni too if you're struggling including hardship funds and low income bursaries.

Have a look round the University life, Money and finance and Food and drink forums to see what other people are doing. There's also Disabled Students, Mature Students and other forums if you have more specific needs. This thread can be used for any questions, tips or general advice you may have, or start a new one. Most of all, good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for posting this!
This is brilliant!
Original post by furryface12
Budgeting is something a lot of people have never done before uni, and also that a lot of people struggle with. There's different ways of doing it and different levels of detail but any is better than none- you don't want to be living off baked beans for any longer than you have to at the end of term! At the bottom of this post are two downloadable spreadsheets that can be used as a starting point. It's up to you if or how you use them, they could be worth a look for ideas of what you need to be paying for though.

The main thing to remember is to plan ahead. Think about what you need to be spending and what might be happening later in the term- is anyone's birthday coming up? Christmas? Do you have some left over for an emergency? Your loan may seem like a lot but when you start thinking about what you need to buy it's really not! However tempting it may be to spend it all at once, it's rarely going to be a good idea.

After this, think about things that could save you money. Would a bus pass be worth buying, and if you had one would you use it enough to save money? Could you get free prescriptions by filling in a HC1 form? Do you have an NUS or other student card? The Money Saving Expert is a great place to start for things like this, there should be advice at your uni too if you're struggling including hardship funds and low income bursaries.

Have a look round the University life, Money and finance and Food and drink forums to see what other people are doing. There's also Disabled Students, Mature Students and other forums if you have more specific needs. This thread can be used for any questions, tips or general advice you may have, or start a new one. Most of all, good luck!

I made one nearly exactly the same as this last year! I'm glad other people like budget spreadsheets too. It's so useful to see what your average expenditure on different areas are, and what makes it peak - for me it was definitely Christmas present buying, and travelling to see my boyfriend :smile:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I made one nearly exactly the same as this last year! I'm glad other people like budget spreadsheets too. It's so useful to see what your average expenditure on different areas are, and what makes it peak - for me it was definitely Christmas present buying, and travelling to see my boyfriend :smile:

Really glad it's helped you! Are there any tips you'd give people looking to start budgeting, either with that or keeping track and saving money in general? :smile:
Reply 5
:woo: woop woop
Here's my top tips for budgeting at university -

http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2016/02/08/money-and-budgeting/
This is great- love the monthly budget planner! It makes it so much easier to budget when you can see all of your incomings and outgoings clearly!

I've also found this page really useful: http://smile.findmeagift.co.uk/smile/money-saving-tips/ especially the Food and Fashion tips!
I know this is pretty general, but any London students willing to share what they live off of after paying rent? I’m international so I’m limited in the number of hours I’m allowed to work. I’m trying to live off of only the money I make and use my savings only for emergencies and special occasion/one off expenses. I won’t need public transport to get to school or work, just worried about food and the basics.
Original post by Gingeroot
I know this is pretty general, but any London students willing to share what they live off of after paying rent? I’m international so I’m limited in the number of hours I’m allowed to work. I’m trying to live off of only the money I make and use my savings only for emergencies and special occasion/one off expenses. I won’t need public transport to get to school or work, just worried about food and the basics.

You may get more answers if you start your own thread.
tips for budgeting spreadsheet for top universities are been indulged. the Microsoft 365 support is able to give you the list which are the top universities for your career and is in your budget. you may also find for your scholarships and other quotas.
is getting a NUS card worth it? i'll start uni in september and i don't know if i should get one
@furryface12 I literally love youuuuuuuuuu
Original post by c.u.enwereuzor
is getting a NUS card worth it? i'll start uni in september and i don't know if i should get one

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. But not really until you actually leave uni- unidays is better and most places that give discounts will do it with just your normal student ID. Once you leave you won't have this, so it's worth buying an NUS just before to use for a bit after.

Original post by Keen Bean #1
@furryface12 I literally love youuuuuuuuuu

Hehe, glad to have helped :tongue:
Hey, have you heard of Emma? I use it for budgeting/syncing my bank accounts all onto the one app. It has a nice, clear layout and account balances update almost instantly.

Check it out and let me know your thoughts.

https://emma-app.com/invite/BCA626
Reply 15
Appreciate the sheet, great to start with and I never got any kind of money management education at all. Getting there slowly, saving, when I have a bit extra out some of that bit extra into making more money somehow, thanks again.
Original post by jerrytf
Appreciate the sheet, great to start with and I never got any kind of money management education at all. Getting there slowly, saving, when I have a bit extra out some of that bit extra into making more money somehow, thanks again.

Glad to have helped a bit :smile: money management is a huge thing missing from schools etc I agree! Good luck on the saving- starting is the hardest part so it's all good for you now hopefully
Thanks for sharing valuable information with us and it's really helpful for me. Making a habit of calculating the budget every month and planning your spending is important to everyone as well as if any clearing your debts or borrowings on time is very important in part of life. These spreadsheets in here are really helpful to work out. Finally, it brings you discipline towards money management.
Hey guys,

Just to add to this useful budgeting thread, here's a budgeting article and cheat sheet written by us guys here at Future Finance. Let me know if you'd like advice on anything else money or budget related! :smile:

https://www.futurefinance.com/blog/how-to-make-a-budget-for-uni-and-stick-to-it/
Reply 19
Original post by FutureFinance
here's a budgeting article and cheat sheet written by us guys here at Future Finance.

The same Future Finance who used to spam their misleading and occasionally illegal advertising here? AKA the company providing 'inappropriate' private loans to students? Who also tried to continue misleading despite being called out on it numerous times?

I don't think we can trust anything written by Future Finance, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest