The Student Room Group

Uni life

Clubs in uni. Is it good to go to clubs in uni if you want to save money?
Original post by fionaearnshaw
Hi @fionaearnshaw

I am assuming this is nightclubs? I think the best thing to do is firstly set a budget, work out how much you have to/can spend each month/week and create a budget to stick to. Then try and work out how much you will be spending on necessities like food, transport and accommodation a great tool to help work this out is the Budget calculator | Undergraduate, Conservatoires | UCAS where you can enter in the university you are thinking about and it will estimate how much the expenses may cost, this really helped me. Then you can work out how much disposable income you will have left and start to look at club prices, think about how much you'll be spending when your in there and decide how often you can afford to go, you may just decide it's best to go every other week or once a month rather then every week as a good way to save money but still enjoy university life.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any more questions you may have :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Hi there,

If you mean nightclubs, it is possible to go while also saving money.

You'd just have to be strict and aware of how much you spend and how often you go out, and modify this as necessary to ensure you are saving as much as you want to be. Creating a budget is a great place to start, as you can also monitor other areas of your life where you are spending more than you want to be. It is possible to still enjoy university life while going out less, so do consider this if you are interested in saving.

If you mean university clubs, like sports and societies, the same applies. Some have higher fees than others, so consider if it would be worth it for the time and effort you would put in, and whether you would enjoy it enough to make that commitment.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hi @fionaearnshaw ,

I would say it is definitely possible to go to clubs while saving money! Assuming you are meaning night clubs, there are probably lots of other people who are on a budget and still want to go out so it's not like everyone else will be spending loads of money.

I would say to set a budget for yourself when you know roughly how much money you will have that week/month and try and stick to this! If you create a budget at the start of term, you can factor in things like nights out/ general spending money so you know that some of this is accounted for in your budget and you aren't spending money you need for bills or food!

Also things that help with saving money on nights out is having pre drinks in your flat with friends before a night out as this is really fun and also saves money. Or going to a cheaper pub before to save money on more expensive drinks in the club. Lots of student clubs and bars sometimes have offers on if it's a student night too so it is definitely possible to have a cheap night out.

I hope this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hi there,

It is possible to go on nights out and still save money. My first advice is to set a budget, both in general for your monthly expenses including "fun money" (which can go towards the club trips), and for the night so you know what you want to spend on.

Club prices will vary place to place. Entry may be anywhere from £3 to £15, generally earlier entries and advanced booking are cheaper. Drinks will most likely be on the pricier end in clubs too so a budget is good to make sure you don't overspend. If you are a drinker, it can be a good idea to have a pres with friends as it is cheaper, but you also should not feel pressured to drink at all - You can still have fun dancing with friends without buying lots of drinks.

Remember to not feel too pressured to go, the clubs will always be there and you can attend another day when you feel more stable to do so.

Hope this helps,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hi there,

Certainly, going to nightclubs can be a fun part of the university experience. However, if saving money is a priority for you, it's worth considering how often you go out and how much you spend each time. Drinks and entry fees can add up quickly. It might be helpful to set a budget for your nights out. Alternatively, there are plenty of other social activities and events on campus that are low-cost or free. Remember, you can enjoy university life without overspending.

Take care,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending