The Student Room Group

Functions

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with question 3c in the attachment - I have found when f(x) = x (x= -2 or 4/3 I think), but I don't get how to write the inequality bit? Do I write two inequalities or is only one of these values possible to use?
Reply 1
Add y = x to your graph and compare with y = f(x).

If you know the intersections, the solution to the inequality is given where the function is lower than the y=x graph.
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
Add y = x to your graph and compare with y = f(x).

If you know the intersections, the solution to the inequality is given where the function is lower than the y=x graph.

So... f(x) < -2 ?
Reply 3
Original post by Electrogeek
So... f(x) < -2 ?

and...
Reply 4
Original post by Alexion
and...

f(x) < 4/3?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
f(x) < 4/3?

You actually want it in terms of x, not f(x), my bad

so it's x < -2 and x > 4/3
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
You actually want it in terms of x, not f(x), my bad

so it's x < -2 and x > 4/3

Thanks! I think I get it now - so it was asking which values of x would give a value which is less than the points of intersection?.

Also, if I'm told to deduce the number of roots of 2x+3=2x^2 (for example), is that the x-coordinates for the point(s) of intersection?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Also, if I'm told to deduce the number of roots of 2x+3=2x^2 (for example), is that the x-coordinates for the point(s) of intersection?

The roots would be the points of intersection, yes.

However, if a question simply asked you to deduce the number of roots, it would be 2; if you turned it into one function (= 0) then it'd be a quadratic (i.e. two roots). The other way would be to quickly sketch both graphs which would indicate both intersections.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
The roots would be the points of intersection, yes.

However, if a question simply asked you to deduce the number of roots, it would be 2; if you turned it into one function (= 0) then it'd be a quadratic (i.e. two roots). The other way would be to quickly sketch both graphs which would indicate both intersections.

Cool - Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest