The Student Room Group

BREXIT: If 16/17 year olds allowed to vote remain would have won by landslide.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NerradCFCB
Im not a ukiper im a BNP supporter, we can get a better deal , bring our people back and do mass deportations starting with eu convicts

Mate BNP are a disgrace.

You should be ashamed to be associated with them

This is what you support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJiFSl-MuQ&vidve=5727***********&app=desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
don't get me wrong, i think 16/17 year olds should vote but people really need to stop using the older generations as a scapegoat, when really the guilt should lie with the politicians.

like, i agree it's ridiculous we couldn't have a say in our future whilst people who probably won't experience the full consequences of the decision did. but constantly putting the blame on the elderly and calling them stupid etc. kinda damaged the cause a bit - as we appear just bitter and immature.

we really need to shift the blame onto all the politicians and the extremely messy campaign tactics both sides used. leave used so must exaggerated scaremongering whilst remain didn't push hard enough and relied on people fearing 'uncertainty' (when clearly some feel their situation is so bad they'd prefer the uncertainty). both sides were a shambles and i think just left people confused tbh
absolute horse ****, none of them would have come out and vote. Only 36% of 18-25 voted, so for 16-17 you would be lucky to get 15% turnout.
Reply 43
Original post by josh75
absolute horse ****, none of them would have come out and vote. Only 36% of 18-25 voted, so for 16-17 you would be lucky to get 15% turnout.

...but they will vote now given the chance. You know, we all know, most people thought remain would win. This meant large numbers of young people did not vote instead they went down the pub or watched netflix. They felt no pressure. Now they know.

Love the young - give them a second chance. Its there future.
Original post by paul514
Mate BNP are a disgrace.

You should be ashamed to be associated with them

This is what you support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJiFSl-MuQ&vidve=5727***********&app=desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think foreigners should even be here by 2050 Britain will be an islamic state, everyone just shrugs there shoulders round them all up and deport them even if born here
Reply 45
I dont think foreigners should even be here by 2050 Britain will be an islamic state, everyone just shrugs there shoulders round them all up and deport them even if born here

*their

#SpellCheckARacist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
*their

#SpellCheckARacist

Posted from TSR Mobile

im speaking truth though islamic population in UK has increased by 300 percent in the last 50 years. in terms of Eu I would be willing to guess Islamic immigrants who cant get here via visas live in an eu country for 6 months and end up here through freedom of movement
Original post by Conceited
Look, the UK has never been a willing partner since it joined. Why confine a country into an organization that doesn't have its best interests in heart while having a greater and greater political influence?

The difference between remain and leave was well over 1,000,000. The 'elderly racists' you so eloquently refer to are citizens and have exercised their right to vote. You seem to have joined this absurd bandwagon that spouts nonsense rhetoric about young people having lost their futures which has no basis. The public has spoken.

72.2% of the public has spoken and 37.46% of the public has indicated a wish to Leave.

What has happened is that a lot of people who are not significantly adversely affected by membership of the EU have made a decision which has significantly adversely affected a lot of other people who wish to remain in the EU.

Only a relatively small proportion of Leave voters can even advance a case that they or their families are worse off by the free movement of people. The overwhelming majority of Leave voters will see no benefit from decisions being taken in London by Etonians rather than being taken in Brussels by Ecole Polytechnique graduates. The majority of Leave voters will gain nothing by leaving the EU and are quite likely to be significant losers.

What the majority of Leave voters are saying is really "we have gained nothing from being in the EU; you have done so but we are going to stuff you for not ensuring that we got something out of this".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
im speaking truth though islamic population in UK has increased by 300 percent in the last 50 years. in terms of Eu I would be willing to guess Islamic immigrants who cant get here via visas live in an eu country for 6 months and end up here through freedom of movement

= less than 5% of the population.

Meanwhile, those with "no religion" have increased by 900 percent in the same time period and now make up 25% of the UK population.

By your argument, by 2050 the UK will be an agnostic/aetheist society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
= less than 5% of the population.

Meanwhile, those with "no religion" have increased by 900 percent in the same time period and now make up 25% of the UK population.

By your argument, by 2050 the UK will be an agnostic/aetheist society.

on average an increae of 60 percent muslims year on year will make it the main religion in england therefore an islamic state
Reply 50
on average an increae of 60 percent muslims year on year will make it the main religion in england therefore an islamic state

*increase
#SpellCheckARacist

Except, Darren, it hasn't increased by 60% year-on-year. It hasn't even increased by 100% in 10 years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FredOrJohn
Our futures have been robbed by elderly racists/nationalists

Perhaps if the 18/24 year olds weren't busy at Glastonbury catching syphilis & smoking crack through their eyes then the vote could have gone differently.
Reply 52
Original post by nulli tertius
72.2% of the public has spoken and 37.46% of the public has indicated a wish to Leave.

What has happened is that a lot of people who are not significantly adversely affected by membership of the EU have made a decision which has significantly adversely affected a lot of other people who wish to remain in the EU.

Only a relatively small proportion of Leave voters can even advance a case that they or their families are worse off by the free movement of people. The overwhelming majority of Leave voters will see no benefit from decisions being taken in London by Etonians rather than being taken in Brussels by Ecole Polytechnique graduates. The majority of Leave voters will gain nothing by leaving the EU and are quite likely to be significant losers.

What the majority of Leave voters are saying is really "we have gained nothing from being in the EU; you have done so but we are going to stuff you for not ensuring that we got something out of this".

And those that have voted on this basis have done so because of people like you being as presumptuous and condescending as you are here
Original post by FredOrJohn
...but they will vote now given the chance. You know, we all know, most people thought remain would win. This meant large numbers of young people did not vote instead they went down the pub or watched netflix. They felt no pressure. Now they know.

Love the young - give them a second chance. Its there future.

No they wont, the brexit had a stupidly high turnout. In addition i find it disgusting how you want to subvert democracy, but then again maybe you have a point, maybe we only need democracy when you get your way.
Original post by Fenice
And those that have voted on this basis have done so because of people like you being as presumptuous and condescending as you are here

A fit of pique in other words.
Reply 55
Original post by nulli tertius
A fit of pique in other words.

I didn't have you down as a snob, but they do say those that go far have more contempt for where they came from than those that never had to
Reply 56
Original post by Fenice

c.f. 1975 Scottish Devo Referendum.
#SpellCheckARacist is a thing I would like to be implemented
Original post by Fenice
I didn't have you down as a snob, but they do say those that go far have more contempt for where they came from than those that never had to

Don't you see that if you concede that if the decision was one of spite or revenge or pique, you rob it of democratic legitimacy? Democracy relies on a tacit assumption that everyone is voting for the good of the country. Once you accept they aren't, democracy loses any moral force.
Reply 59
Original post by tanyapotter
#SpellCheckARacist is a thing I would like to be implemented

It already is https://www.facebook.com/spellcheckbigots/

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending