The Student Room Group

Want to campaign for the 16 year old vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pulse.
We would be giving the vote to feotuses if people like you truly had your way. Your only advocating giving the vote to 16 year olds because you know they will vote in a certain manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaaannnnd that pretty much sums it up. If the majority of 16 year olds were conservative voters you can be sure that he wouldnt have wasted a single second of thought on letting them vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you lot ever watched Young Persons' Question Time? I don't think it's possible to watch it and be against raising the voting age if anything.................

Having said that, if we were to apply standards of discourse to the rest of the population, we'd have about 568 eligible voters.
I'm 16, and I have long been interested in political affairs, and how the world's democratic system is changing- one of my biggest interests within politics is that of the educational systems.

A large number of my friends, ranging from ages 14-17, also have interests in political affairs. Some of them want to vote, some of them don't want to. The ones who want to vote are highly engaged in the world around them, and most of them can pose very strong debates for or against their viewpoint, and are often very philosophical within their ideologies. The ones who don't want to vote are either not particularly interested by politics, or don't want to be part of something so great.

I don't go to a private school.
I'm not incredibly rich.
I don't live in London, nor do I live around London.
I do not, in any way, consider my viewpoints to be a result of the news outlets, nor do I consider my viewpoints to be a result of propaganda.

I have formulated my own views, as have the majority of my politically interested friends. I mean, one of them has been researching EU politics since he was 10.

My mother is 35 [yes, I know. She was a teen mother.], and she has never been interested in politics. She thought Donald Trump was already the president, she thought that Syria was in Italy, and that David Cameron was the leader of the Labour party- who, according to her, were interested entirely in 'pregnant women'.

Simply put, how can she and her like minded friends deserve a vote in such important political events, yet my peers and I don't?
Reply 63
Count me in!
Original post by the bear
if you are old enough to be punished for your crimes you are old enough to vote. *

I'm fairly certain that in the UK under certain circumstances you can be punished from 10 years old, you sure you wanna go down that route?
I fully reject that idea. True, some are mature. However, the majority are too young and have little experience of the world to make informed choices. Most are too busy sat around Snapchatting all day long playing on their Xbox eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew
Original post by viffer
A potential problem with adding something to the curriculum is having it taught by a sandal and sock combo wearing Liberal leftie. That would not be in the best interests of UK plc imho.

It's perfectly possible to teach people about democratic responsibility, the history of the parties, different political movements, how politicians and parties are voting on different issues etc.. without teachers personal views having to come into it.
Original post by lawlieto
I think a test which is about the referendum should be good enough. What are the main bodies of the EU? or how much money does the UK actually spend on the EU taking into account the money that comes back/How does the EU work?

for a general election, perhaps they should be tested on the values of the parties in competition? I mean, what they represent, what their plans are, etc..

It sounds a bit idealistic, but I think it's still better than no test at all.

I think the idea of having to pass a test to earn the vote is a bit controlling and leaves me uncomfortable. To have to complete a standard course on politics and democracy as part of the curriculum though feels reasonable.
Reply 68
Original post by ChrisN
It's perfectly possible to teach people about democratic responsibility, the history of the parties, different political movements, how politicians and parties are voting on different issues etc.. without teachers personal views having to come into it.
Which is why I said "potential". However, on balance, I wouldn't trust the beardies :smile:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I'm 16, and I have long been interested in political affairs, and how the world's democratic system is changing- one of my biggest interests within politics is that of the educational systems.

A large number of my friends, ranging from ages 14-17, also have interests in political affairs. Some of them want to vote, some of them don't want to. The ones who want to vote are highly engaged in the world around them, and most of them can pose very strong debates for or against their viewpoint, and are often very philosophical within their ideologies. The ones who don't want to vote are either not particularly interested by politics, or don't want to be part of something so great.

I don't go to a private school.
I'm not incredibly rich.
I don't live in London, nor do I live around London.
I do not, in any way, consider my viewpoints to be a result of the news outlets, nor do I consider my viewpoints to be a result of propaganda.

I have formulated my own views, as have the majority of my politically interested friends. I mean, one of them has been researching EU politics since he was 10.

My mother is 35 [yes, I know. She was a teen mother.], and she has never been interested in politics. She thought Donald Trump was already the president, she thought that Syria was in Italy, and that David Cameron was the leader of the Labour party- who, according to her, were interested entirely in 'pregnant women'.

Simply put, how can she and her like minded friends deserve a vote in such important political events, yet my peers and I don't?

Great post.
Original post by ChrisN

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison.

You gain the right to get married pending permission from your ADULT parents.
Join the army, but you are not permitted to go to war until you are 18 and an ADULT.
Under 18's cannot go to adult prison - https://www.gov.uk/young-people-in-custody/overview
Pilot License holds the same principle as a driver's license.

So far all of your information is flawed or wrong?
Reply 71
I disagree. Why stop there?

Why not allow everyone in the UK be allowed to vote, regardless of age.

I was politically hooked when I was 14. Many I knew were too. Everyone who buys goods & services pays tax (VAT), so why should the very young have no say in their future?
Original post by Galaxie501
Absolutely 100% against it. I dont even believe 18 year olds should be able to vote due to a lack of experience and understanding of how the world works. Just look at the great majority of Bernie supporters: College/University educated people with very little understanding of politics and economics - despite their education.

I know this is not possible, but around 30 seems a good age to make an educated vote.

Also, whats next, 12 year old vote?

I think 30 is a bit old, maybe 21 would be more reasonable (if it was to be raised)

I think this because I am 23 and during the past few weeks and longer leading up to the vote mine and my peer's discussions were dominated by discussing the EU referendum issues.
Reply 73
Original post by Elastichedgehog
If this was even a viable option there'd have to be some kind of mandatory political class in school. Seriously, I knew nothing about politics when I was 16.

Edit: I think there should be anyway. I'm 18 and I'm still incredibly ill informed. Just a little less so because I've decided to read up on things.

This is the best solution. And, being given the vote could be based on your performance in the politics class, with those consistently below a certain cutoff (like a D) not getting the vote.

Spoiler

Original post by Inexorably
I'm fairly certain that in the UK under certain circumstances you can be punished from 10 years old, you sure you wanna go down that route?

10 year olds have to live at least 70 years with the choices of Brexit.... their steak in the future is huge. *
Original post by the bear
10 year olds have to live at least 70 years with the choices of Brexit.... their steak in the future is huge. *

I hope they like beef then :/
Original post by Inexorably
I hope they like beef then :/

tartare for now

:wavey: *
Original post by ChrisN
I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues.

Can't disagree with you more there.

Original post by ChrisN
As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us.

I don't buy the 'it is the young's future' argument. This is implying that the older generations don't care about the future of this country because they're going to die soon. This is an outrageous view, many of them have children or grandchildren, I'd say it is equally important or even more important to them to give the best future to the future generation than their own future.

I hope more people can realise this. As you get older you become not only responsible for yourself, but your family and parents. The responsibility does not diminish with age as that view implies.

Ask your parents how they feel, I'm sure most would say that one becomes more concerned about one's children's future than their own.
Original post by CherishFreedom
Can't disagree with you more there.

I guess it depends on where we are looking....Just one example...BHASVIC - the local sixth form college where I am a governor - had massive political debates with many hundreds of highly engaged students either debating or watching the debate prior to the last election. That definitely happened.

Original post by CherishFreedom
I don't buy the 'it is the young's future' argument. This is implying that the older generations don't care about the future of this country because they're going to die soon. This is an outrageous view, many of them have children or grandchildren, I'd say it is equally important or even more important to them to give the best future to the future generation than their own future.

I hope more people can realise this. As you get older you become not only responsible for yourself, but your family and parents. The responsibility does not diminish with age as that view implies.

Ask your parents how they feel, I'm sure most would say that one becomes more concerned about one's children's future than their own.

I'm not saying that older people's views count any less, just that the people who are going to be affected for decades do have a valid reason to be heard too.
Original post by ChrisN

I guess it depends on where we are looking....Just one example...BHASVIC - the local sixth form college where I am a governor - had massive political debates with many hundreds of highly engaged students either debating or watching the debate prior to the last election. That definitely happened.

But your post is about campaigning to allow all 16 and 17 year olds to vote. Your selective example does not indicate that the majority of them are politically aware enough to be able to form an educated decision. One would naturally expect that a debating society would consists of students engaging in debates.

Original post by ChrisN
I'm not saying that older people's views count any less, just that the people who are going to be affected for decades do have a valid reason to be heard too.

We must at one point draw a line between those who are mature enough to vote and those who aren't. In my opinion 18 year olds does not have enough life experience to vote, let alone 16 and 17 year olds.

Under 18s also tend to have very limited responsibility in society, as most have yet to pay tax and live on their own. In other words, they should experience life a little longer so that they are more well-rounded and hence more likely to hold a balanced and educated view.

I'm not saying that every 16 and 17 year olds are like this, but one must consider whether the age group is overall capable of knowing what's best for themselves and the country. In a situation where we cannot discriminate, we must consider the overall likelihood and make a judgement. At the moment I think the current age requirement is right, if not even slightly generous.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending