The Student Room Group

Mum wants to stay in halls first night of freshers?!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Might be alright if she's a bit bohemian, will go out on the piss with you and a few of your new mates even fancy her..
So basically, thanks for driving me to halls mum, and paying for them but get lost your time is done seems a lack of respect to me.

I know its not the worst thing in world but its the least you can do.

Is there no chance you can agree something with the halls, one I stayed in expected this so let parents stay overnight for a cheap rate.
Original post by sachinisgod
Well she doesnt know what her flatmates are going to be like. she can say to her mum that there are risks ( which u mentioned) and if she is still ok with that then her luck i guess.*

Also her mum may not want to fork out loads of money for a hotel. The OP hasnt specified which city and it could be an expensive one. So the mum may be using *the opportunity to save money and maybe spend it on her daughter. If you dont use common sense then you're the idiot here

you didn't use your common sense to read the thread because OP said she'd pay for the hotel
Original post by katherine9609
One night isn't going to hurt your social life or disturb you settling in

Why dont you invite your momma in yo halls around for a week then.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Even speaking as a mum (and sounding like Andrea Leadsom for doing it:redface:) I think this is very much not on. I doubt that the halls will let her stay anyway, if you want to go that route, and it certainly isn't the right way to start your university life. We took our son to university and had to stay overnight because it was too far to come home in one day, so we booked a hotel and made a weekend away of it. We took him out for meals, took him to the supermarket and transported the groceries home for him, and then left him to it, while we had a good time sightseeing. Can you suggest this to her? This is all going to come from fear of losing you, so big up that that won't happen, give her a timetable of how often you are going to contact her and when, and then stand your ground.

I wish you were my mum! :cry2: God bless my own mum but this was a sweet thing to read.
Original post by Zarek
Might be alright if she's a bit bohemian, will go out on the piss with you and a few of your new mates even fancy her..

lmaoo too many of my lads bring their m*lfs out sometimes and the things those women do to let loose for once O___O
:colone:
honestly more fun than birds my age on nights out
Original post by 0to100
I wish you were my mum! :cry2: God bless my own mum but this was a sweet thing to read.

:colondollar:
Original post by s4ffy
literally my worst nightmare. logistically, her staying overnight in the city makes sense as it's at least a four hour drive back, but I assumed she'd stay in a hotel overnight. Apparently she's going to stay with me in halls and when I refused, she got quite upset and offended. am I in the wrong here? I tried to explain that I needed to settle in on my own and get to know my own flatmates and go out etc, but she said she'd just stay in my room and not interfere, but... just the thought of it it horrific. I honestly do not know how to have this discussion with her.

It may not be allowed - guests are sometimes not allowed for the first few weeks of term. Check your uni's rules ...

How can you be a mum and still a student??

I'm not flirting with you :rofl: but how many kids have you done such a wonderful thing like that for? :h:
Original post by Dr.Snake
How can you be a mum and still a student??

I'm not a student, I'm a retired teacher. There are many mums who are students, though.
Original post by 0to100
I'm not flirting with you :rofl: but how many kids have you done such a wonderful thing like that for? :h:

Two of my own. After 27 years as a sixth form tutor, I know pretty much what 18 year olds think. And flirting would not be a good thing for you, I'm afraid!
Why dont you invite your momma in yo halls around for a week then.

Will do once I'm at uni :smile: At least I'm not ungrateful and don't put strangers and their opinions before my mother
Original post by katherine9609
Will do once I'm at uni :smile: At least I'm not ungrateful and don't put strangers and their opinions before my mother

Ok then you're not living in halls when you go to uni. You can travel/move their and stay with yo mummy all year :h:.
Two of my own. After 27 years as a sixth form tutor, I know pretty much what 18 year olds think. And flirting would not be a good thing for you, I'm afraid!

Lol why wouldn't it be?
What did you tutor? :h:
Original post by 0to100
Lol why wouldn't it be?
What did you tutor? :h:

Because I'm probably older than your mother! I taught English.

Hey dont you enjoy a little bit of spice in your life
Hey dont you enjoy a little bit of spice in your life

No, I'm far too old and sad for that.
Ok then you're not living in halls when you go to uni. You can travel/move their and stay with yo mummy all year :h:.

Bless your mind set :smile:
You're one of those people who forget they ever had parents the moment you move out
Original post by mercuryman
Stop being ungrateful and let your mother stay with you. Its only for a night.

Well that's the most retarded reasoning I've seen in a good 5 mins.

OP just man (or woman) up and tell her no. She'll get over it. You've been living with her for at least 18 years. Idk why she cares about an extra day. Especially when it'd just make things awkward. The first few days of uni are important.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending