The Student Room Group

Desktop at uni vs current laptop

considering nvidias new pascal released, I was able to find parts for a decent gtx 1060 for £800 with monitor, everything, etc. Currently I have a laptop with a gtx 960m and i know that it would be huge graphical upgrade but im not sure if a desktop is practical at uni. My course is mechanical engineering and if i got the desktop i could afford to splurge another £200 on a cheap laptop for taking around campus (on the basis my current one would be passed on to someone in my family). What do you guy think.
Reply 1
Original post by student143
considering nvidias new pascal released, I was able to find parts for a decent gtx 1060 for £800 with monitor, everything, etc. Currently I have a laptop with a gtx 960m and i know that it would be huge graphical upgrade but im not sure if a desktop is practical at uni. My course is mechanical engineering and if i got the desktop i could afford to splurge another £200 on a cheap laptop for taking around campus (on the basis my current one would be passed on to someone in my family). What do you guy think.

For uni all you really need is something lightweight and a decent bag for protection - this will make it easier to carry and hopefully protect it aswell. I laptop that's a bit smaller than average is helpful as some unis only have a little bit of space for note, etc. All the best. Also you may have noticed i don't really understand technology in terms of the specifics but this is just some general advice that could be useful. And the cheap laptop thing is good as if you damage it it's easily replaceable but ultimately it's down to what suits you best. :smile:
Reply 2
I was in the same boat as you, got the desktop because it's so nice being able to use all the engineering software at home rather than having to use the school computers.
It's also a lot nicer having the bigger screen and keyboard/mouse all separate.
Plus you can always game on it when you're stressed :smile:

£200 is enough for a good second hand laptop for writing/web browsing while in class.
Reply 3
I'm taking my desktop and a laptop. I bought a cheap laptop for £40 and put lubuntu on it. It runs faster than my parents stupidly expensive modern laptop too.
Reply 4
Well I bought a compaq laptop for 250 works fine had it a few years with no issues, depends what you want to do with it really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might be better to see if you can find a thunderbolt 3 laptop + GPU enclosure + GTX 1060 in a similar price range, if they'll be out in time. Laptop CPUs are still quite powerful and it's nice to have that with the engineering programs you'll want to use around campus, although equally if you budgeted well and looked around you could manage a GTX 1060 PC and an i5 or potentially i7 laptop, I managed to come up with a build which would be £540 or £600 with an SSD as well and you can get laptops with older but full fat i7s using that £400-460.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending