The Student Room Group

Survey: Only 18% of Germans would fight for their country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slaven
This can be explained on two way.

Firstly, the left-wing Germans given its history think "yes, our grandfather fought for their country in 1943 and they were the evil guys". It has to do with German guilt complex.

Not guilt complex (we are dealing with that one by sending a few hundred million Euros to Israel every year). We just learned from experience.

Original post by slaven
The patriotic Germans have also no reason to fight for Germany because they see the Federal Republic of Germany and its political establishment as anti-Germans who care more about refugees than for its own people. The Cologne case gives this though very good reasons.

Ah, you mean the xenophobic unwashed masses, the scum that torches refugee homes? A tiny minority. Just like the Cologne molesters were a tiny minority of decent refugees fleeing from violence.
Original post by Mathemagicien
But either way, it shows a large degree of apathy towards the current German state.

No, it shows a very high degree of pacifism in the population, and that's an entirely good thing.

Not being ok with physical violence suffering, and death does not mean you're ok with everything going on in your country.
18% of Germany = 14.5 million = biggest army in the world by far
Original post by Little Toy Gun
18% of Germany = 14.5 million = biggest army in the world by far

Exactly.

This thread is dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also remember they probably asked women too who most likely overwhelmingly said no.
Just shows that Germans are more honest than the rest of the World imo.
Original post by WBZ144
Why are you so obsessed with the "Anglosphere"? You're not even White and you never will be.

Because I live in England. I'm more than happy being brown and wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for being concerned about my skin colour.
I agree with most comments on this thread.

I'm a conservative. And I'm proud of British history and the contribution that Britain has made to the world over the last century. However, Britain - like many countries in the west - has turned into a country with no sense of pride or meaning. Our generation has instilled a culture of political feminism and self-hate which is why patriotism among millennials is virtually nonexistent. I wouldn't fight for Britain as it is today because why would I risk my life for blue-haired lesbians and out of touch politicians?

Britain is turning into an accounting degree. No one has an interest in accounting, but having said degree holds many benefits.
I'm sure the figures would be very different if the country faced an invasion from a hostile force.
Idk why Germany is being focused on and also I dunno why some people in here have some kinda sense of superiority here considering we're literally only 9% higher than Germany...

Though I literally see no problem with this. I think it when comes to an actual war scenario, the stats would be diff.
They are wracked by war guilt which is why you see disgustingly PC characters like merkel who take the meaning of correctness to a whole new level. In the process they are inflicting violence on their own citizens
I think the reason Finland's so high is that they have compulsory military service- perhaps when a large segment of the population have military training it seems more realistic for them to fight and more like they'd be effective.

I agree that the question was far too vague to mean anything- for example, what does fighting for your country mean? Does it cover only being a soldier? What about other military roles: medics, engineers, intelligence, logistics, communications? Are we talking about defending the country or attacking another? What if you have an essential job eg in farming, would you say you would fight even though it would actually be better for the country if you didn't? Cultural differences in what the question was taken to mean (especially in different languages) makes it difficult to draw conclusions.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Because I live in England. I'm more than happy being brown and wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for being concerned about my skin colour.

That's hard to believe when you were one of those who wanted to cleanse London and other parts of the UK of the undesirable brown, black and yellow so that Whites would be a greater majority than they are now. If you weren't all talk, you would have taken one for the team by now and removed yourself from the country to for the good of preserving the demography in the country that you believe to be fitting. But it seems that you just spout this nonsense as some sort of desperation for approval.

It is very ironic that you call Europeans "self-hating".
Original post by WBZ144
That's hard to believe when you were one of those who wanted to cleanse London and other parts of the UK of the undesirable brown, black and yellow so that Whites would be a greater majority than they are now. If you weren't all talk, you would have taken one for the team by now and removed yourself from the country to for the good of preserving the demography in the country that you believe to be fitting. But it seems that you just spout this nonsense as some sort of desperation for approval.

It is very ironic that you call Europeans "self-hating".

Perhaps he finds white people on average to be more polite etc. Perhaps he sees areas where the white population decreases having more problems with crime etc. You certainly have a chip on your shoulder.
Original post by WBZ144
That's hard to believe when you were one of those who wanted to cleanse London and other parts of the UK of the undesirable brown, black and yellow so that Whites would be a greater majority than they are now. If you weren't all talk, you would have taken one for the team by now and removed yourself from the country to for the good of preserving the demography in the country that you believe to be fitting. But it seems that you just spout this nonsense as some sort of desperation for approval.It is very ironic that you call Europeans "self-hating".
Perhaps he finds white people on average to be more polite etc. Perhaps he sees areas where the white population decreases having more problems with crime etc. You certainly have a chip on your shoulder.
Reply 55
Original post by Mathemagicien

Half of respondents were women. More older people would fight for their country than younger people, even among age groups which are too old for military service.

Those are some pretty abysmal figures from Western Europe. Even accounting for some things (e.g. very old population in Germany, and large immigrant populations in Western Europe) doesn't explain it away comfortably.

Here are some more statistics so some people can think of explanations for this phenonemon.

Demographics

Decline Europe's Demographic

Europe The increase in the median ages across

AbortionRates

Economics

YouthUnemploymentRate

Country Exports of each European

€1 Employer Cost Of Paying Employee

spending Household

Culture

EU Cultural differences between US and

Obesity

Misc.

map Genetic

right Swing to the

First of all, how reliable is even the first source? Did all of Germany answer to that poll?(probably not). Germany could have a lower percentage of people wanting to join the army but they are the 8th most powerful nation in the world.

Population: 80,854,408
Reaching military age annually: 791,000
Active front line personnel/reserve personnel: 180,000/145,000
Aircraft: 676
Tanks: 408
Naval strength: 81

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/40-most-powerful-military-nations-of-2016/ar-BBpqJQn#page=9
Germany has an army sufficient enough to defend itself and fighting for your country is not the only way of showing your patriotism.
Anyone who has bothered to study history can see why its quite obvious the Germsn are bit that keen on war. the other western europena powers arent that keen either.

Pathetic to call the figures abysmal as though showing patriotism can only be shown by answering a survey.
It depends on the enemy if somehow I.S managed to amass lots of land and resources similar to the nazis and started full on invading Europe then yes I would want to fight it's about fighting the ideology knowing what they do to enemy prisoners , women , homosexuals etc the future for my children. They are disgusting and I would rather die than be a sex slave prisoner.

This is my home they can't have it.
Original post by Josb
"Attempted"?

Well they didn't actually wipe out the jewish people did they? It was called "The Final Solution", and was an attempt to wipe out every jewish person on the planet. They didn't succeed so yeah... "attempted".
Original post by Inexorably
Idk why Germany is being focused on and also I dunno why some people in here have some kinda sense of superiority here considering we're literally only 9% higher than Germany...

... and also considering Britain's pathetic economy is spiraling into yet another recession while the German economy -remember, it's the land of the weak and honourless- is going from strength to strength despite having taken in a million refugees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending