The Student Room Group

Psychology Conversion Course outside the UK

I'm currently looking at psychology conversion courses but because I am an EU citizen and Brexit is oh so real, I'm looking for courses outside the UK.

So far I only found one in Ireland, but I was wondering if any of you maybe know of any psych conversion courses taught in English or German, so maybe in The Netherlands, Germany obviously, or any other EU country.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by heyitsmika
I'm currently looking at psychology conversion courses but because I am an EU citizen and Brexit is oh so real, I'm looking for courses outside the UK.

So far I only found one in Ireland, but I was wondering if any of you maybe know of any psych conversion courses taught in English or German, so maybe in The Netherlands, Germany obviously, or any other EU country.

Thank you :smile:

The idea around the conversion courses is to meet criteria for the British Psychological Society. I doubt you'll find any specific conversion courses outside of the UK as it is a UK requirement
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
The idea around the conversion courses is to meet criteria for the British Psychological Society. I doubt you'll find any specific conversion courses outside of the UK as it is a UK requirement

yea, I know, but even in other countries, psychology courses have to be accredited. Because for a masters in psychology, you always need a psych bachelor (or a conversion course) - so it would be a little surprising if no other country except for the UK countries offered conversion courses?
thanks anyway
yea, I know, but even in other countries, psychology courses have to be accredited. Because for a masters in psychology, you always need a psych bachelor (or a conversion course) - so it would be a little surprising if no other country except for the UK countries offered conversion courses?
thanks anyway

They may do but they arent necessarily accredited by the BPS. According to their website only Ireland is outside the UK
Reply 4
They may do but they arent necessarily accredited by the BPS. According to their website only Ireland is outside the UK

I know, but if I get a bachelor degree in psychology in Germany for example, it's obviously not accredited by the BPS, but I can still go on to do a masters in psychology in the UK, because the German degree is accredited by the German Psychological Association.
So it doesn't matter to me if the psychology conversion course is accredited by the BPS - because it obviously won't be if it's in a different country. I'm looking for *any* psychology conversion courses outside the UK.
I know, but if I get a bachelor degree in psychology in Germany for example, it's obviously not accredited by the BPS, but I can still go on to do a masters in psychology in the UK, because the German degree is accredited by the German Psychological Association.
So it doesn't matter to me if the psychology conversion course is accredited by the BPS - because it obviously won't be if it's in a different country. I'm looking for *any* psychology conversion courses outside the UK.

Given that this site is primarily for UK students, I think you'll find it tricky to get any information on (e.g. German) accredited courses. Presumably those countries' psychological societies will have a list of courses they feel meet their requirements for accreditation
Reply 6
Given that this site is primarily for UK students, I think you'll find it tricky to get any information on (e.g. German) accredited courses. Presumably those countries' psychological societies will have a list of courses they feel meet their requirements for accreditation

yea, I looked but I just can't find anything. that's why I posted on here because I thought maybe someone knows something.
but thanks anyway
yea, I looked but I just can't find anything. that's why I posted on here because I thought maybe someone knows something.
but thanks anyway

Hi,
I think I am in a similar situation now as you were back then. I presume you´re from Germany as well. I am currently looking at possibilities to get into the field of psychology after having completed a Bachelor´s degree in a different field - preferably outside of the UK, because it´s indeed very expensive... I am wondering whether you have found an answer for your questions or a way to find what you were looking for?
I would be glad if you shared your experience with me. Thx in advance.
Best wishes, A.
Reply 8
Hi, glad to read these comments! I am also in the same situation, looking into similar options to the ones you mentioned. I graduated with a BSc and MA from a different field, and I am really interested in studying psychology. So far I also only found conversion Master tracks in the UK. I am now considering distance-learning conversion MSc from UK universities but would prefer to go for similar options in Germany (perhaps in the NL). I would be happy to chat and exchange some ideas!
Original post by k.jozan
Hi, glad to read these comments! I am also in the same situation, looking into similar options to the ones you mentioned. I graduated with a BSc and MA from a different field, and I am really interested in studying psychology. So far I also only found conversion Master tracks in the UK. I am now considering distance-learning conversion MSc from UK universities but would prefer to go for similar options in Germany (perhaps in the NL). I would be happy to chat and exchange some ideas!

@k.jozan
Hi, I do know that Arden University do a MSc Psychology program, and then are based in both the UK and Germany (with a Berlin office), they have the option to study 100% online too with flexible payment options. Their program is fully accredited with the BPS. I'm naturally biased as I had a great time studying there, why not check out their QAA Report and Teaching Excellence Framework Report both readily available online.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi, there!

Do you know if a UK conversion masters in Psychology is acepted in Ireland?
Reply 11
hi has anyone received any useful info on this topic? I'm in a similar situation, I've got an undergrad in English and need to do a psychology conversion course, but don't want to do it in the UK because of the tuition fees, so would like to do it in Berlin or a similar kind of place where it can be free/cheap, but I am British so really need it to be recognised by BPS and need the course to be in English. However, really struggling to find any useful information on the internet despite researching for several days now
Reply 12
Original post by k.jozan

Have you found anything?
Reply 13
but thanks anyway

OP, did you find anything on Psychology Conversion courses in Germany?
There are no UK accredited conversion courses that you can do from overseas universities (the BPS has a list of accredited courses that you can search). So your only options are to study in person in the UK, or to do a distance learning course from a UK uni that is accredited.

The only reason to do a conversion course is if you want to become a practitioner psychologist (e.g. clinical) in the UK, and you may find it very difficult to get onto one of those courses as an overseas student, or have to pay expensive tuition fees - check what the requirements are for your steps afterwards too
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 15
but thanks anyway

Hey Mika, just wondering if you have made any progress in your research on conversion courses outside the UK. I am in a similar position to you, being from Luxembourg. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest