The Student Room Group

Purple Hair

So I'm getting the ends of my hair dyed purple soon for the first time (I have dark brown hair at the moment) but I go on holiday about 3 days after my hair appointment for a week. I know that purple hair (Or most colourful hair) is a nightmare for getting it everywhere especially when wet, so I'm really worried about going on holiday and going in pools/to the beach and stuff as the colour might go everywhere. I'd feel embarrassed if I got purple all over my skin/towels/in the pool/hotel/my clothes/etc. Also worried about it fading a lot and not really being able to dye it while away. Can anyone give me any tips for how to help any of this? Or name a good brand of dye that's good for not bleeding too much or fading?

I didn't have much of a choice in when my hair appointment was, if I could have timed it better (eg way before or after the holiday) I definitely would have!

I know I have to keep my hair super healthy and try not to wash it too much, shower in cold water, use dry shampoo, use purple conditioner, etc etc, but if anyone has any general tips for having purple hair it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :h:
Reply 1
Unless you get it done permanently it will run if you get it wet at all. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going in pools anyway because no matter what colour you dye it the chemicals in the water react with those in the dye and you will have very weird coloured hair, possibly green.
Reply 2
Also, pool and sun will make it fade fast. It'd normally last 2-3 weeks look decent with semi permanent (all bright colours but red are semi) but on holiday it can looks pretty washed out within a week
Apart from basically 'don't get purple hair', does anyone have any helpful suggestions for someone who IS getting purple hair?
Reply 4
use crazy colour as a top up
it will bleed, but not such a life ruiner- it washes off of clothes easily, and a top tip for removing from skin/ anything else is to use a lush soap from the 'fun'range, they feel like playdough and remove crazy colour from skin perfectly, even around hair line/ parting without removing too much colour from the hair itself.
crazy colour bottle are 2-4 quid on ebay and basically work like a coloured conditioner- almost good for your hair! DO NOT use schwarzkopf live or any other home set for bright coloured hair that means mixing two solutions together- this means there are harsher reactive chemicals which will strip your hair and ruin it.
best advice is to go for the crazy color, accept the runs and reapply every three or so weeks at home.
just ask if you want more info :smile:
Original post by Beyronte
use crazy colour as a top up
it will bleed, but not such a life ruiner- it washes off of clothes easily, and a top tip for removing from skin/ anything else is to use a lush soap from the 'fun'range, they feel like playdough and remove crazy colour from skin perfectly, even around hair line/ parting without removing too much colour from the hair itself.
crazy colour bottle are 2-4 quid on ebay and basically work like a coloured conditioner- almost good for your hair! DO NOT use schwarzkopf live or any other home set for bright coloured hair that means mixing two solutions together- this means there are harsher reactive chemicals which will strip your hair and ruin it.
best advice is to go for the crazy color, accept the runs and reapply every three or so weeks at home.
just ask if you want more info :smile:

Great advice, thank you for your help!
Cancelling the appointment and getting it done later would be your best bet. It will turn the water purple and get on towels. And it's going to fade faster with all that exposure to water. It would be more practical just to wait a while longer.

I say this as someone with pink hair. I get it done professionally and even six weeks after a top-up (where it's gone from bright to pastel-y on top) I will still find the shampoo lather has a pink tinge. :tongue:
Original post by rainbowsloth
Apart from basically 'don't get purple hair', does anyone have any helpful suggestions for someone who IS getting purple hair?

Prioritise: get it dyed after going on holiday.

Other than that, there really isn't much you can do if you don't want it to run. Also, there's really no need to feel embarrassed about getting purple dye on a towel; it comes with the territory. In other words, deal with it.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Prioritise: get it dyed after going on holiday.

Other than that, there really isn't much you can do if you don't want it to run. Also, there's really no need to feel embarrassed about getting purple dye on a towel; it comes with the territory. In other words, deal with it.

If you read the original post, you can see I didn't have a choice for my appointment.

In terms of the towel it's not so much being embarrassed with that but more worried about using a hotel towel or something and getting charged for ruining it. I'll probably have to bring my own.

I'm aware of how difficult purple hair is going to be, I know I'll have to deal with a lot and I'm prepared to do so. However I was just asking to see if anyone had any tips on how to make it a little easier to deal with, such as products that bleed less etc. Hopefully it will look good and all be worth it :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
Cancelling the appointment and getting it done later would be your best bet. It will turn the water purple and get on towels. And it's going to fade faster with all that exposure to water. It would be more practical just to wait a while longer.

I say this as someone with pink hair. I get it done professionally and even six weeks after a top-up (where it's gone from bright to pastel-y on top) I will still find the shampoo lather has a pink tinge. :tongue:

Unfortunately I can't, I want my home hairdresser to do it and I go back to uni in Sept so I wouldn't be able to get another one for months and I have placement so wouldn't want it purple just before that.

I'll just have to try and keep it out of the water as much as possible and use my own towels. I'm sure it'll look crap by the end of the holiday but I'll just top it up after or let it look crap for a little bit :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest