The Student Room Group

UMS Cambridge quesions

Hi, I just got my AS Results. Since I'm in the year where A-Levels are changing, I only sat 3 AS Levels (Religious Studies, Maths and Further Maths).

I was wondering if my average UMS will be the average of the three, or an average of RS and my combined maths scores. I'm thinking it could possibly be the latter because you are meant to put both Maths and Further maths modules under one subject in the form that requests UMS.

This is important to me as if it is an average of three then my UMS is under 93% and if it is just an average of the two then it goes over 93% which is needed to be automatically entered into pooling.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jdizzle12345
Hi, I just got my AS Results. Since I'm in the year where A-Levels are changing, I only sat 3 AS Levels (Religious Studies, Maths and Further Maths).

I was wondering if my average UMS will be the average of the three, or an average of RS and my combined maths scores. I'm thinking it could possibly be the latter because you are meant to put both Maths and Further maths modules under one subject in the form that requests UMS.

This is important to me as if it is an average of three then my UMS is under 93% and if it is just an average of the two then it goes over 93% which is needed to be automatically entered into pooling.

Thanks

You put individual module UMS into Cambridge's SAQ. Although averages have never been that important anyway.

Which course are you considering?
Original post by jneill
You put individual module UMS into Cambridge's SAQ. Although averages have never been that important anyway.

Which course are you considering?

Thanks for the reply. I am considering Philosophy. My issue is that in the SAQ, you list all mathematics and further mathematics modules under one subject, and so would it not make sense that my overall average would be the average of the two maths combined and RS.

I know that an average is just an average, but isn't there a rule where if your average is over 93%, then you are automatically entered into the Winter Pool. And so, it follows that it is highly likely that you will receive an interview.

And how will AS results be interpreted since a reasonable number of candidates will not be doing four AS levels this year. Some of my friends are only doing one.
Reply 3
Original post by jdizzle12345
Thanks for the reply. I am considering Philosophy. My issue is that in the SAQ, you list all mathematics and further mathematics modules under one subject, and so would it not make sense that my overall average would be the average of the two maths combined and RS.

I know that an average is just an average, but isn't there a rule where if your average is over 93%, then you are automatically entered into the Winter Pool. And so, it follows that it is highly likely that you will receive an interview.

And how will AS results be interpreted since a reasonable number of candidates will not be doing four AS levels this year. Some of my friends are only doing one.

They look at all modules individually, and also combine all maths into a single Maths UMS average (MUMS). They then combine that with the AS in your other subject to give an overall average to give a Best 3 Average.

The 93% rule may or may not apply this year as most applicants will not have complete UMS any more due to linear A-levels (as you have identified yourself). But in any case it's just a fall back... if you had a good application but your original college has no places they would pool you anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending