The Student Room Group

Which part of Maths A-level do you think...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the part where you have to force yourself to study a beautiful subject reduced to the bastardisation they call "maths a-level"
Reply 21
Vector questions can be quite difficult at first for a lot of people. For vectors though you just need to do loads of vector questions.
Reply 22
Original post by Zacken
the part where you have to force yourself to study a beautiful subject reduced to the bastardisation they call "maths a-level"

What do you suppose they should change to A level maths to more accurately reflect real maths?
Original post by Frank Peters
I will be starting maths A-level this september so I need some help.

Which part of maths A-level do you think was/is the hardest. And also which part of maths A-level do you think I should pay close attention to in the first year.

Could you please also give reasons why. Thank you!!!

I acc scraped an A by one mark in as maths i got B in C1 and A in C2 and S1
Reply 24
Original post by B_9710
What do you suppose they should change to A level maths to more accurately reflect real maths?

teach calculus as analysis properly instead of a bunch of unmotivated rules would be one of my key ideas, starts some number theory and set theory is another one. Not sure beyond that.
Original post by Zacken
teach calculus as analysis properly instead of a bunch of unmotivated rules would be one of my key ideas, starts some number theory and set theory is another one. Not sure beyond that.

I think set theory is being introduced as part of the reform, as much as I hate to admit it, perhaps more geometry is needed too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by drandy76
I think set theory is being introduced as part of the reform, as much as I hate to admit it, perhaps more geometry is needed too

Posted from TSR Mobile

cri
FP3 polar co-ordinate problems, anything else is easy.
Original post by Zacken
cri

Maybe a Geometry 1-3? Not sure how subscribed it would be though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

I read somewhere on some preface of an analysis book that it's usually better to start with Calculus and then proceed into analysis because it gives the mental flexibility required to tackle analysis problems.
I also disagree that calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules without analysis. Historically calculus started before analysis was properly studied by the likes of Dirichlet, so again starting with calculus is even more natural in terms of the historical progression of ideas.

But I do agree that "some" analysis stuff must be taught, stuff like limits, continuity, convergence and series, as they're pretty much fundamental to the understanding of calculus.
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geometry is the perfect subject all A-Level STEM students must learn. Learning how to prove things geometrically is such a powerful skill that makes you think absolutely differently. You learn how to form a cohesive argument, how to look for flaws or biases in your thinking, how to connect ideas, it's essential!
Original post by oShahpo
Geometry is the perfect subject all A-Level STEM students must learn. Learning how to prove things geometrically is such a powerful skill that makes you think absolutely differently. You learn how to form a cohesive argument, how to look for flaws or biases in your thinking, how to connect ideas, it's essential!

Now that I think about it, having geometry as a stand alone module could cause the same lopsidedness in students understanding of maths, just in the opposite sense. Maybe reduce content but focus on more in depth understanding of it?

One anecdote I have is that when asked in class, a good 9/13 students didn't know the link between sin^2 +cos^2=1 and the equation for circles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by oShahpo
I read somewhere on some preface of an analysis book that it's usually better to start with Calculus and then proceed into analysis because it gives the mental flexibility required to tackle analysis problems.
I also disagree that calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules without analysis. Historically calculus started before analysis was properly studied by the likes of Dirichlet, so again starting with calculus is even more natural in terms of the historical progression of ideas.

But I do agree that "some" analysis stuff must be taught, stuff like limits, continuity, convergence and series, as they're pretty much fundamental to the understanding of calculus.

didn't say calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules, said A-Level calculus was.
The hardest subject at A level maths for me was probably the nastier end of integration in C4.

Which part of maths A-level do you think was/is the hardest. And also which part of maths A-level do you think I should pay close attention to in the first year.

Apparently Mechanics and Decision maths are brutal and to be avoided. Try and do statistics if you can.

I am one of those weird people that finds mechanics easier than stats. I got lucky with the grade boundaries which is why I scraped a B in it. Just do past papers and if you want extra prep, do solomon papers. They are hard.
Original post by Zacken
didn't say calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules, said A-Level calculus was.

Fair enough, however my point was that you don't need real analysis to make sense out of calculus, unless you're studying calculus at higher levels.
Reply 37
Original post by tcameron
only useful if you can actually understand it, which very few doing maths actually understood Stats

The combinatorics in S1 is hardly difficult.
I dont understand edexcel a level maths, whats c1 d1 how do all these topics come together ? heLp!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not very careful in D1/D2 it's very easy to run out of time in the exam. Practice time management with lots of past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest