The Student Room Group

Changing to physical natsci

Hello
I want to apply to Cambridge NatSci course but I’m not sure whether to apply for physical or biological. Can you change after you’ve successfully applied and started the course? Like if I start off with biological but then say after first year, can I pick the physical sciences topics?
Also is the same for unis like imperial or ucl?
Reply 1
Original post by Nat4695
Hello
I want to apply to Cambridge NatSci course but I’m not sure whether to apply for physical or biological. Can you change after you’ve successfully applied and started the course? Like if I start off with biological but then say after first year, can I pick the physical sciences topics?

When you initially apply, whether you choose physical or biology does not impact the modules you can take in first year. However, be aware that in second year, some modules require you to have taken specific first year modules. Check out the website which will tell you which first year module you’ll need for your second year options.
Original post by Nat4695
Hello

For Cambridge, as above, the physical natsci/bio natsci distinction is purely for admissions purposes to determine who will be on your interview panel and the kinds of questions you'll be asked.

Once you're admitted you can take whichever options you wish subject to meeting the requirements (so you can't take physics in first year/Part 1A without having done A-level Physics or maths and FM with all mechanics options in FM - I gather essentially no one goes onto the course from the latter route though) and your DoS approval, as I understand it (the latter of note because apparently they don't always let you take very random combinations, particularly in second year/Part 1B).

Also as above you still need to meet the requirements for subjects in later years. I believe most if not all of the physical science options in Part 1B require you to have taken the corresponding physical science at Part 1A (and potentially specify which of the maths options you needed to have done in Part 1A). The "bio" options broadly seem to have fewer hard requirements although I think Biology of Cells in Part 1A is required for a couple of 1B courses.
Reply 3
Thank you so much 🙂
I currently take bio chem maths and physics all at A level, would that mean I can still do the physics modules in year1? There’s not really clear info on the website when I checked
Original post by Nat4695
Thank you so much 🙂
I currently take bio chem maths and physics all at A level, would that mean I can still do the physics modules in year1? There’s not really clear info on the website when I checked

Yes, although lack of FM might make it more challenging potentially? You could take any of the Part IA options except possibly the maths B option which I think they usually prefer you to have done FM.
Reply 5
Okay thanks so much. I might potentially do fm as as Level but it shouldn’t affect the options other than maths b right?
Original post by Nat4695
Okay thanks so much. I might potentially do fm as as Level but it shouldn’t affect the options other than maths b right?

I think generally it's preferred for physical natsci applicants and most applying with a physics oriented personal statement have it.

Outside of admissions I imagine it's very useful background for any physical science options once on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending