The Student Room Group

Do I need maths for architecture?

Hi, so basically, I am in my first week in proper sixth form and currently studying physics, geography and design technology. I wanted to also take maths a level but I was a mark out of the boundary for a 7. I am currently deciding whether I should just carry on my A Levels or whether I should go back to my old school which offer the IB. I don't want to go back as I have a bad dt teacher there and I don't think I could survive doing a language and english again. The Higher Level subjects I would take are the same as my a levels and standard level: maths, english and german. This is all dependant if I need maths at all for architecture. Some courses ask for Core Maths but even so, my sixth form don't offer it and the sixth form subject advisor is being rather unhelpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my offer to go back to my old school ends this Friday.
Thanks
Original post by grumpy.kitten
Hi, so basically, I am in my first week in proper sixth form and currently studying physics, geography and design technology. I wanted to also take maths a level but I was a mark out of the boundary for a 7. I am currently deciding whether I should just carry on my A Levels or whether I should go back to my old school which offer the IB. I don't want to go back as I have a bad dt teacher there and I don't think I could survive doing a language and english again. The Higher Level subjects I would take are the same as my a levels and standard level: maths, english and german. This is all dependant if I need maths at all for architecture. Some courses ask for Core Maths but even so, my sixth form don't offer it and the sixth form subject advisor is being rather unhelpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my offer to go back to my old school ends this Friday.
Thanks

OUt of the 59 RIBA accredited undergrad courses in the UK, about 2-3 would require A Level Maths because they're more like engineering degrees.

The other 55-ish degrees won't require any specific A Levels, just 3 A Levels at good grades + a decent portfolio for when you do your interview.

I think it's more appropriate to confirm which architecture degrees you want to apply for. If you don't know how to find the RIBA accredited courses, let me know.
Reply 2
Hi,
I wanted to go to Sheffield University but others I wanted to go to included:
Cardiff
Manchester
Newcastle
UCL
I have found a couple online A levels for maths which seem somewhat fair pricing too. My mother wants me to do maths just in case if I do change my mind for engineering or automotive design. I do agree that maths is helpful for getting into a lot of careers too.
Thanks
Hi,
Cardiff
Manchester
Newcastle
UCL
I have found a couple online A levels for maths which seem somewhat fair pricing too. My mother wants me to do maths just in case if I do change my mind for engineering or automotive design. I do agree that maths is helpful for getting into a lot of careers too.
Thanks

Checking on RIBA and ARB websites:
https://arb.org.uk/student-information/schools-institutions-architecture/
https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

All of the univerisities you have mentioned are accredited for their architecture courses:

Sheffield:
Part 1 BA (Hons) Architecture
Part 1 BA (Hons) Architecture and Landscape
Part 1 MEng (Hons) Structural Engineering and Architecture

Not sure which one, but I will go through the top course, and leave you with the rest:
Entry requirements: AAA
A Levels + additional qualifications AAB + B in Core Maths

Cardiff:
Part 1 BSc (Hons) in Architectural Studies
AAA-AAB
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
Our grade range covers our standard offer and contextual offer. We carefully consider the circumstances in which you've been studying (your contextual data) upon application.
Eligible students will be given an offer at the lower end of the advertised grade range.
Where there is no grade range advertised and/or where there are selection processes in place (like an interview) you may receive additional points in the selection process or be guaranteed interview/consideration.

Manchester:
AAA.
A mixture of science or maths and humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential.
Art or Fine Art A-levels are particularly welcomed; however, please note that applicants with three arts-based subjects (for example, Art, Graphics and 3D Design, or Art, Photography and Design and Technology), or a BTEC Extended Diploma in Art and Design on its own will not be considered as meeting our entry requirements.
We do not require a pass in the Science Practical Assessment.

Newcastle:
AAA. All candidates will be required to submit a portfolio for review as part of the selection process. GCSE grade B or 6 in Mathematics and English required if not taken at a higher level.

UCL:
BSc (Hons) Degree in Architecture
MEng Engineering and Architectural Design

Again, I would go over the first course:
AAB
Subjects
No specific subjects. Comprehensive portfolio of creative work required upon invitation, at application stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects.

Should you deciee to pick the MEng courses at Sheffield or UCL:

Sheffield:
AAA including Maths
A Levels + additional qualifications AAB, including A in Maths + A in a relevant EPQ; AAB, including Maths + A in AS or B in A Level Further Maths

UCL:
AAA
Subjects
No specific subjects, please note the GCSE Mathematics and Physics requirements below, if not offered at A level and a Comprehensive Portfolio of Creative Work required upon invitation, at application stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects.
(Not sure why A Level Maths is not asked for, but hey.)

The degrees that A Level Maths would allow you to do include:

Computer science and software engineering

Economics (quantitative degrees)

Maths and statistics

Physics (if you take it alongside physics)

Engineering (in your case anything other than chemical engineering and bioengineering)

Data analytics and data science

A number of life science degrees that ask for 2 sciences/maths e.g. biomed, environmental science, optometry, sports

Geology

Material science

See the following: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/
Hi,
Cardiff
Manchester
Newcastle
UCL
Thanks

You don't need maths (or physics) for the majority of architecture courses and not at all for the unis you have chosen. Check out the following thread for confirmation:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Architecture isn't engineering - it is a design-based degree and around 50% of its modules will be design. What does count in Architecture is being able to prepare a portfolio for the application process and achieving high grades at A level - so choose subjects you enjoy and will get those A grades in.

Maths A level is huge step up from GCSE, so if you got a 6 at GCSE you might struggle to get a decent grade at A level. Also, do not do four A levels - unis only require three and you don't get bonus points for doing more. AAA will always look better than AABB.
Reply 5
I understand where you are coming from about the focus should be on the 3 subjects but I feel that without doing maths, it closes a lot of job and career choices as I am quite indecisive. Would you know anything about taking core maths for the Sheffield course? The course I have been looking at is this one
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/architecture-ba
and its really unclear what its asking for. It says 3 A's but then a B in core maths? I don't understand if I can get away with 3A's no maths or if I need a core maths B. Its really confusing.
I understand where you are coming from about the focus should be on the 3 subjects but I feel that without doing maths, it closes a lot of job and career choices as I am quite indecisive. Would you know anything about taking core maths for the Sheffield course? The course I have been looking at is this one
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/architecture-ba
and its really unclear what its asking for. It says 3 A's but then a B in core maths? I don't understand if I can get away with 3A's no maths or if I need a core maths B. Its really confusing.

@grumpy.kitten The entry requirements section for Sheffield is saying that they require three As if you take just three A levels. If you also take core maths, then you receive a reduced offer of AAB for your A levels in addition to a B in core maths. If you take IB, then you need 36 points, etc. So you don't have to take core maths to apply to Sheffield but you might receive a reduced offer if you do.

The A Level entry requirements for this course are: AAA

A Levels + additional qualifications AAB + B in Core Maths

International Baccalaureate: 36

BTEC Extended Diploma: D*DD in a relevant subject

BTEC Diploma: DD in a relevant subject + A at A Level

Sheffield (and UCL) are very competitive for architecture and you will need a strong portfolio if you apply to them.

Even though you have just started year 12, I'd recommend you try going to a few uni open days this term to listen to the talks for architecture and any other subjects that you might be interested in. It's a good way of narrowing down your choices and working out if the course is for you.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest