The Student Room Group

Biggest academic achievements?

Let's hear some, having a boring night :h: They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Year 9 was getting E/U in English. By year 10 I was on an A* and was set to be entered for AS English in year 11 but my teacher moved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's gonna have to be graduating with a first class degree in Computer Science
I got an E for English Literature in my Jan mocks then an A* in my April mocks lol
Reply 4
Don't really have any :sad:
Probably my lovely U grade in Economics, pretty proud of that
A in gcse maths then 6 months later qualified and competed in BMO1 and BMO2 twice(entered into BMO2 myself in gap year) and got joint 8th score invite to IMO trinity Camp cambridge and a place at Cambridge to study maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going from a D in AS maths, to A the next year. Getting nearly full marks on technology GCSE A* (118/120). Getting 5A*s and 5As and a distinction at GCSE. Then getting onto an integrated masters at uni! Pretty proud of that
I really struggled with English when I was in secondary.

C in Lit (year 10) I was so pissed off lool.
A* in year 11 with close to full marks :biggrin:

Although I didn't even need this cuz I had no intention of studying English at A level :lol:
Since year 10 i was getting U/E in German past papaers and my teacher predicted me to fail.

Everyone lost hope, literally, i felt like my life was over.

My coursework was not great either and i had to resit.

After resitting my coursework, i eneded up getting a B overall(both writing and speaking)

in the real exam i cried, i just could not do it., it was so hard but i managed to get a high C(3 ums off B) overall and even got awarded for achievemnet and endouvour in my school.

Everyone including my German teacher was proud of me even my parents were shocked.

My story is not super amazing but i am happy that i managed to pull off in the exams and get a B on the listening and C on reading and a B overall for my courswork, resulting into a high C overall.

German is not easy afterall.
Obtaining an academic scholarship into a private school after being "informally expelled" from the previous school.
Oh, and being the only candidate in my school EVER to sit GCSE Latin, GCSE French and AS French in the same year. [I was the only one to sit Latin altogether, and I did my AS French early].
One of the best grades I've gained was a B in GCSE Maths. I struggled immensely with Maths, I found even the grade C/D work difficult. My teacher encouraged me to take the higher tier exam though (after passing the foundation), and I got a B! :biggrin:
5A*s at A level
In year seven I had a ton of time off school, and this continued up until year 10, yet I waltzed into history in Year 8 and we were told to write an essay on the Roman Empire. Mine was the best essay the school had ever seen, it was degree level! :biggrin:

It made me really believe I could get somewhere with my life through academics. I used to be bad at math as well (I still kind-of am, because of my focus on humanities, but I managed to get a C overall at GCSE despite hardly attending school because of my physical disability) and it really held me back.

The teacher used to laugh at me in Year 6 because of how bad I was, which became kind-of humiliating. But that essay flicked something in my mind which said "Hey, you're not a hopeless case! Just put your mind to it, you must be quite intelligent if you produced an essay which is getting such praise from teachers!" and now I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge this year to read History :biggrin: So going from the kid that got laughed at for being 'stupid', to being the best in English and History in a College of 2K+, and hoping to apply to Cambridge (and at least study at another top uni), is seriously my biggest academic achievement.

It just took some self-belief, really, and the support from my parents.
It should be my undergrad degree, given the circumstances in which it was completed, but am gonna opt instead for getting a C in AS Level Physics, despite lack of mathematical ability. I worked my ass off for that C :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was in year 10 I used to have 7/20 and 8/20 (I think it's D in your system) all the time in French for some reason - probably the teacher .. -
I got 20/20 at my baccalaureate :woo: (which is like A*)
I need an ego boost... Got an A* in maths in year 9. :yep:
PPE from Oxford.
Breathing
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
When I was in year 10 I used to have 7/20 and 8/20 (I think it's D in your system) all the time in French for some reason - probably the teacher .. -
I got 20/20 at my baccalaureate :woo: (which is like A*)

That's amazing considering I've heard French teachers/lecturers never give out 20/20 for something like essays lol.

Quick Reply

Latest