The Student Room Group

Modules Law

Im struggling to decide as to which i should pick 1. LEGAL WRITING or RESEARCH PROJECT. Apparently research project would also be benefial for 3rd year.
Original post by kh2021
Im struggling to decide as to which i should pick 1. LEGAL WRITING or RESEARCH PROJECT. Apparently research project would also be benefial for 3rd year.

Hi there,

I would suggest there are two main considerations here when considering module options...

Firstly, you indicate that a research project may be beneficial for 3rd year, which likely implies that 3rd year will bring a dissertation with it. In this case, yes, a research project will be good experience if you anticipate that you will be doing a dissertation in the future, although usually not a necessity.

Secondly, my biggest advice through Law school has been to choose the modules which you think you will enjoy and think you will do well in. Ultimately, grades are key, and so choosing modules that you anticipate you will do the best in makes logical sense for achieving the best degree you can. Similarly, choosing modules which you think you will enjoy and are genuinely interested in will likely increase your chances of doing well in that module.

I hope this helps and provides some insight!

Leah :smile:
UEA Law
Great advice there. I think some people get hung up on modules they feel they need to take but as an undergrad do the ones you are interested in, even if it ends up a mixed bag. Sometimes the ‘hands on skill’ modules are useful as the skills are something you will use & are transferable, ie legal writing (if you go into a legal job).

Is your dissertation compulsory in yr 3? Many unis are moving away from this in law, whereby becoming optional. So as the PP says, if you plan on doing a dissertation then maybe it will help, if not then you don’t necessarily need it - it could give you the opportunity to research something you’re interested in that you haven’t covered in Uni yet though - maybe something more in depth you could discuss at an interview etc?

Finally, I’d say if you are interested in legal academics and can see yourself doing an LLM & PhD then I’d definitely go for the research module…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending